Dogomania

The Christmas tree and two dogs??? HELP!

Crested

I have to ask as Christmas is coming closer... What experiences do you have of a puppy who's teething and interested in everythin + an adult dog who likes to do everything the puppy does?
In other words, have you had troubles keeping the Christmas tree up?
(We usually put the tree up the day before Christmas so help is needed)

I never have had problems. But I'm sure you could train the dog and the pup to avoid the tree. This could be useful as it will come in handy every year :-) You could also apply it to other things you would like the dogs to leave alone.

If that really doesn't work, I have heard that upside down car mats (with the little rubber points) around the tree will keep the dog away from it. It's probably not the most aesthetically pleasing solution though!

I have a solution that works for kids and smaller dogs, not sure if it would work for big dogs, though.
Get some big boxes, and put something heavy (bricks, etc) in them. Then wrap them as you would a present. Set these around the tree, and they act as a barrier so that the kid, animal, whatever, can't get close enough to the tree to bother it. Also, they look really good!

:lol:

The only problems I have ever had is Miss Kitty wants to climb the tree, I have to leave a small narrow path through the presents so that Pumpkin can get to the back corner where he absolutely loves to sleep during Christmas and to make sure that there are no ornaments hanging on the lower branches that could hurt the puppies. Aside from that all the babies seem to do fine with the tree.

:angel:

Thanks for your advice!
The whole tree thing is a bit problematic for me because Bella is really into balls... And because she's teething - everything goes. I'm a bit worried because she's got this one tooth that is coming in front of a milk tooth that is rocking back and forth, but not coming off.

I'm doing my homework and I'm up to my neck in studying. I have four exams on Monday, so Ben and Bella are going to a doggy "hotel" for that day, so I don't have to worry about the fact that they'll be alone home for all that time (my school is 100km away from my doorstep, so my mum and dad are coming with me (dad drives as I don't have my drivers licence yet) so they get to spend some time just the two of them, wich they desurve, because I can't remember the last time they had some quality time just between the two of them. Hmm... I might have been about 8 or something when they last went to a party together. The last time my mom invited me aswell, so...). Oh, and what do I have exams in? (kough, kough) Religion, Geography, Psycology and English! Yay! :roll: Oh, how I love school... Let me count the ways... :roll:
Luckilly I don't have to worry about school after monday untill next year, so I'll get some time to BREATHE. :D

I just came on here to take a small pause and a little breether. Nearly done my Geography now. (Done the Religion and Enlgish allready, so things are looking a bit brighter. Psycology is tough though... Tried that allready and got myself in a tangle. Anyone good in psycology, please HELP!! :roll:)

Ok, but now a little something to give me energy (it's 3am) and then I'm off. I'm determend to get the Geography done today!!

The dogs are great at leaving the tree alone except Zoe with her mad Golden swishy tail sometimes dislodges a few balls! The cats on the other paw...arghhhh that Bin laaden thing is really on his last life. The tree has been down more times than it has been up. I came back yesterday to find him perched near the top clinging on and looking out for any low flying birds...then proceeded to chew the angel.... Then he thinks the apples and balls are all his to play with and bats them down off the tree and to heck and back adown the hall!

Oh yay great fun :P

I'm wondering the same thing with Web and our tree... If a guinea pig can cause as much damage as he usually does, what about a puppy with a jaw as big as the whoe pig! :o

We are goignt to try to solve the problem by not hanging bulbs or other interesting things near the bottom of the tree, and tying it upp too. That way, it might get disloged, but not come crashing to the floor... :-?

I put my tree up on a small two foot high by two foot square end table, solid wood. Now, my tree us seven feet tall, but I have 9 foot ceilings so I can do that. Then I put wrapped presents and parcels on the table and along the floor all around the table. This is where the boxed vricks might help. The cat doens like the uneven feel of the different sized boxes on the table, and the boxes on the floor keep the dogs pretty far away. I also put the lower ornaments on with twistie-ties (from lunch bags) so they're really secure and tails wont pull them off. In fact, some of them are still on because I secured them so well last year I couldnt get them off....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Holz_Boomer']OMD, Crested!
long time no see...
where have u been?
is it just me or have u been away?
well WeLcOmE bAcK!
and if im wrong, and you've been on frequently,
then just tape a sign that says "IDIOT" on my forehead
:wink: :angel: :wink:[/quote]

I've not been away, just been busy. I've got four exams on monday, so I've been really just reading, reading, reading and reading. So now I've come here to just relax a few minutes before I continue again. (wich has actually helped)
But I haven't been on that much that's for sure! :( And I hate the fact that I haven't had time to come and check the posts here! :cry: But now I promise I'll do better!
Thank you for the "welcome back" but in my heart I never left, if that makes it a little better. ;) I am and always will be a dogomaniac! It's in my blood (believe it or not). ;-)

/Crest

Something I read elsewhere that seemed like it might be a good idea was where someone said they were putting an x-pen around the tree as a barrier. It seemed like a good idea to me. However, I have TEN dogs in the house, some of them large, and have no intention of going through the headache of having a tree. I do have a little Charlie Brown tree that just sets on an end table and plugs into the wall, but it's so far isolated that no one can bother it without some effort.

They sell a product called "Sticky Paws". It is sheets of double sided transparent sticky tape used to deter animals from going on furniture or into unwanted areas. Animals do not like the sticky feeling on their pads. You could put it right on carpet..it is transparent so not unsightly...or put it on cardboard pieces around the tree extending out far enough to prevent access without the animal stepping on the tape. It isn't painful, it is just sticky. I personally wouldn't use it if I had a very tiny kitten because it may get stuck on it. It is very sticky. But with larger animals that is not a problem.