Dogomania

Second trip to After Hours Vet this week!

DogPaddle

Ok this time Zaphod snarfed around 6? or more cups of dry (backup) kibble (from inside cupboard - I guess he can open cupboards now :roll: )
6 cups of dry kibble gets much bigger when it gets wet in the stomache! The vet was concerned because it was putting pressure on his liver (which was LOOKING enlarged but that could be misleading given circumstances), spleen and vena cava(sp?) and he had an elevated temperature and heart rate. She indicated it might be possible that if the kibble had ANY more expanding to do his stomache might rupture so we had a [i]pleasant[/i] few hours at the vets - NO RUPTURE :D YAY!
Given that he keeps doing these things after hours I guess it wasn't too expensive ($350 for both problems this week.) Still I would have preferred the having an extra $350. Anyway, I'm thinking I may need babylatches for the cupboards or maybe never, ever keep kibble in the house.
I beginning to think that Zaphod has vet office addiction, either that or he's suicidal.

Poor fella......That would be scary. :o Glad he is going to be okay! :D

I keep the kibble in a huge rubbermaid container in our laundry room. The boys can't get the snap-on lid off! :D They don't have access to the room at all either so we could keep it in its bag...if it weren't for small rodent visitors here in the fall and winter that we keep fighting!!!

[quote name='courtnek']I also have one of those containers with a screw on lid - I got mine at Petco. They cant get in it no matter what, so it keeps the kibble safe from "prying noses....."

glad Zaph's ok....[/quote]

Vittles Vaults. They're great! No dog can get into them. Go here to see what they look like. [url]http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=513&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=408&iSubCat=476&iSubSubCat=488&iProductID=513[/url]

I have two that I ordered from this company years ago. I have also seen them for sale at PetSmart and PetCo.

Guest Anonymous

i keep our dog food inthe laundry room with the door closed.. i have to.. otherswise they'd eat all my laundry. and i'm sure they'd tare apart the food bag. seeing as i didnt' feed them in the AM yesterday and i came home after 3hours and the trash was all over the floor eaten every last peice of food.. must say it hasn't been plesnt to sit by them when they decide to pass gas... that bad mexican food smells HORRID :oops:
i guess i'll make sure i feed them in the AM and PM. gesh.. the were doing soo good with leaving the trash. if i could just get htem to leave my table alone.. wasn't the chairs enough?

I've been looking about and I'll think for the time being I'll use our barrel pack. Its an old 8 gallon olive barrel that has been modified for canoe trip and has a sealable lid that even I have a difficult time undoing sometimes - they are advertised as bear proof but that is a load of hooey! They are waterproof and keep the food smells contained and are easy to hang safely though, and should be more than enough to keep Zaphod safe. I'm beginning to think I need to check everything out in the house more carefully - 2 preventable accidents in one week!

You're gonna laugh at this DP, but my "vittles vault" (GREAT name for it)
actually has my garbage can on top of it. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall, and with the garbage can on top of it the dogs cant get the food OR the garbage....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure the dogs hate me for it. They both sniff at the vittles vault all the time, and their noses then hed up to the garbage, which they cant reach...

:evilbat:

Mouse - I think there may be something to that. Kavik was so jealous that Zaphod went out 2x without him. :o

Courtnek - Garbage was never a problem till Tyr taught Zaphod about it. :roll: I had to get one of those rubbermaid once with the foot pedle and hinged lid - thankfully they have not figured this out yet but I'll keep your tower method in mind if they do. :lol: