Dogomania

We're having puppies!!

Pumpkin the musher

Well, I made the official determination last night, Happy, one of my best dogs, is pregnant, and will be having her pups about Oct 13th. Th father is George, my back-up leader, who has some really nice bloodlines from Alaska. I plan on keeping most of them, the only reason for selling any would be because they wee too big or too small, and of course they would only go to other mushers or skiers. I;ll do my best to try to get a friend to post some pictures, and I'll keep you updated!!

• 2 weeks later...

Second update!!! Happy, or as my husband calls her, "Fat-n-Happy" continues to balloon. I was hoping for a litter of 5 to 7, but since she came from a liter of 11 :o , maybe there will be more. She is making nests, and re-arranging her house and I'm thinking that Sunday or Monday could be the day. Her sister Bug, my lead dog and the Alpha female knows something is up too- she'll follow Happy around whining and sniffing, then go look in her house, looking for the puppies. When that fails, she'll look in her own house, just in case. What a goof.

Not really- The dog having pups is the Alpha's sister, and when Bug had her puppies, Happy got milk and helped take care of her sisters' puppies. The strangest one of the group is Happy and Bug's brother, a nuetered male named Merlin, who absolutely loves puppies. He fussed so bad when Bug had her puppies that I let him in the kennel (controlled of course! ) to see the pups and was so good with them I did'nt have to worry when the pups eventually came out of the house and could run all over the dog yard. None of my dogs have ever had a problem with pups, but aren't afraid to give a warning growl or nip if they get to rambuncious.

:multi: THE PUPPIES ARE HERE!!
Happy begin having puppies on Fri afternoon and had only three. A fourth was born a couple hours later but was still-born :( . That was the first puppy I had lost in 20 years of dogs. Poor little guy. I tried rescue breathing and chest massage and all that but to no avail. The other three are just fine tho, two boys and one little girl, all marked alike with white blazes, kind of a reddish brown color and four white feet. The one boy is a whopper, almost wice the size of his sister. I'll try to get some pics together!