Dogomania

Ignorance or Back Yard Breeding?!?!

Kaleb124

Yesterday morning my neighbor called me to see if I wanted another Akita. I said no, but I would talk to my husband. My neighbors said that they were going to get the dog (papers and all) and see if they could make an outside dog out of it.

Anowho, around 12:30 we went to see the neighbors new pup. I saw the papers first...all champions on the sires blood lines, but no champions on the dams. So from the papers, it looked like the dog had the potential to be a decent dog.

As we walked toward the dog, my neighbors both started saying, "Now he's a little thin...", "He is a little shy,"... When I finally saw him I realized what they were rambling about...the dog was very thin (no surprise there), it's coat was rough and dirty, his toenails were between 1 inch and 1.5 inches long, his feet were splayed out from the toenail length, he was growling and snarling and began to attack the fence.

**Now keep in mind that they want to make this dog act like my Kaleb who I have socialized out the wazoo and am getting ready to compete in competition obedience with**

So I watched as the husband tried to pet the dog to calm it down. It lunged at him and nearly bit him. To help the dog gain weight, my neighbors had put a big dish of kibble in the pen with it....it was guarding it and it's water bowl too. It's tail was dropped, it would not make eye contact, but it would try to bite at any chance it got.

They nervously laughed and said, "What do you think?" I said, "Put it to sleep."

I was able to talk to the original owner on the phone. I found out that the original owner had gotten the puppy at 2 weeks old. 2 WEEKS!!! The breeder sold that pup at 2 WEEKS OLD!! I asked if there was a reason that she got the dog at 2 weeks....she said just because they wanted it early. The Dam was still nursing all of the rest of the puppies. I asked if the breeder explained the WOES of living with an akita. NO I asked if she has done any training with the pup. NO, well she said she "worked with it for a month"...(2 weeks plus a month equals 6 weeks old)...and then it was chained to a tree in the yard from then on. I begged her to let me get the dog into rescue (if possible). She kept saying that if I did not want it, and my neighbors did not want it, she wanted it back. (This woman has 3 kids, one is 6 months old... :o ) So I persisted and finally she said that I could take the dog and try and get in into rescue.

So now the dog is 8 months old, unneutered, ungroomed, (mostly) unfed, completely unsocialized.....and more than likely going to be put down. I am going to contact Akita Rescue in my area, but I truely doubt that they will want a food aggressive, fear aggressive, unsocialized to other dogs (including mom and littermated), unsocialized to people, unsocialized to other animals,.......I am so sad about this. He was really a nicely built dog. And this is happening because some breeder was more interested in the money than the welfare of the dog. :puppydogeyes:

Sounds like it was someone with a pet who paid to breed to a champion stud dog. You'd think the person with the stud dog would be a little more discriminating about who they bred the dog too. The again, maybe the same person owns both dogs and she's just really irresponsible. :roll:

[quote name='yellowlabsrule']Kaleb124, is there any way you could turn the breeder in to animal control for neglect? Or did the breeder sell it to someone at 2 weeks and your neighbors get it from the previous owners?[/quote]

Yes the breeder sold it to someone and they gave it to my neighbors. I am setting here on the verge of tears and sick at my stomach. We put the dog to sleep at noon. It is strange how quickly events took place. I contacted rescue. They said that they would not take the dog because of it's vast aggressiveness. I somehow was able to get a muzzle on the dog wihtout getting bitten....don't ask me how, I would just as soon forget today. I took him to the animal shelter and watched as the staff put him to sleep. The funny, no horrifying I think is a much better word, is he aggressed all the way to the "dungeon" (that is what they call the little room where they PTS animals.) He growled and tried to bite all the way there.......Once in the room he began to wag his tail and even try to lick me. I nearly lost it! The manager of the shelter says that that happens a lot. Dogs will be vicious and try to attack everything/everyone around, until it goes into that little room of death. And then they calm down and wag their tail.

Sorry guys, I am just a basket case right now.

[quote]Some people should not be allowed to own dogs[/quote]
Just like some people shouldn't have children!! But for children, we have social services to protect them. I wish there were better means out there to protect the pups and dogs from horrible breeders. It shouldn't be so easy for just any one to breed dogs! The SPCA and other humane societies only get involved after there is a problem. There needs to be legislation in place to [i][b]prevent [/b][/i]these problems. There should be a list criteria each breeder has to meet and this should be filed within their locality!
:o Sorry......... ranting :oops:

Since putting the dog to sleep, I have heard more things that verify that we did the right thing. The owner admitted that the dog had snapped/tried to bite her 2 year old daughter, but thes insists that the 6-month old baby could crawl all over the dog. The dog has eaten 2 above ground swimming pools and the trellace off of the deck (from boredom or teething I guess). The owner was unable/afraid to trim the dogs toenails. When the pup was 5 months old, a different friend told the owner that the dog was not right and it was dangerous.

I still feel crappy, but I know that the dog was dangerous. I am just so angry with (first) the breeder who sold this dog WAY TO EARLY and (second) to the owner who did not have a clue how to raise a pup and who did ALL THE WRONG THINGS. The owner wants me to *hook her up* with a breeder to get another puppy......I do not feel good doing this unless the breeder has an iron-clad contract that they would have this person sign saying that they would reclaim if they felt it was necessary.

Guest Anonymous

I am sorry you had to go tru that
Thank goodness you were not hurt.

I remember my husband had to do something like that
once also and it was just like you said.

They know the room I don't know how but they do.

But I do feel you did the only thing you could.

:angel:

The fault, as I see it, lands squarely on the breeder for letting someone take a puppy at 2 weeks old. They learn so much from their mother and litter mates during those first 8 weeks. That pup never stood a chance. If you know the breeder, you can report her to the AKC and they will probably revoke her registration priviledges.
As for the owners, it doesn't sound like an Akita is something they can handle. Are they asking you to help them find another one, or another type of dog?

I have talked them out of an akita...not to mention that they were feeding it *meat* flavored sawdust and it at 50 POUNDS of food per week!!!! :evil: So it was eating them out of house and home.

So, I have suggested a whippet, a beagle, or some nice doggy from the pound. She said, "I want a dog [i]for my children[/i]" I said, "You don't need a dog then."

[quote]"I want a dog for my children"[/quote]
Some crazy person (not you of course) will probably have them say that and then say, "Oh, a labrador retriever is just what you need". :x :motz:
I hate it when labs go to homes because "they are so good with children". Grrr!!! (sorry I just get so mad!!! :oops: )

[quote name='yellowlabsrule'][quote]"I want a dog for my children"[/quote]
Some crazy person (not you of course) will probably have them say that and then say, "Oh, a labrador retriever is just what you need". :x :motz:
I hate it when labs go to homes because "they are so good with children". Grrr!!! (sorry I just get so mad!!! :oops: )[/quote]

Yes, she got the *ahem* "lecture" about "dont get a dog FOR YOUR KIDS" and then she changed her story and said "I know that I will have to care for it and train it, but I want my kids to have dogs in their life like I did."

Labs, yes someone will tell her to get a lab. And around here labs are a dime dozen and several are killed each week at our animal shelter. So a lab would be easy to get. The only dog that has EVER bit me was a LAB. (Not to say that they are all bad) but people think they can get a lab and throw it in the yard and it will raise itself. NOT!!! I am helping my sister with an aggressive 12-month-old unneutered lab. He is the result of exactly that philosophy. He will bite/attack in a heartbeat. :o

I just read the story on your website, I am SO sorry you had to go through that. :cry: Thank God, you didn't get hurt! :(

[quote]Labs, yes someone will tell her to get a lab. And around here labs are a dime dozen and several are killed each week at our animal shelter. So a lab would be easy to get. The only dog that has EVER bit me was a LAB. (Not to say that they are all bad) but people think they can get a lab and throw it in the yard and it will raise itself. NOT!!! I am helping my sister with an aggressive 12-month-old unneutered lab. He is the result of exactly that philosophy. He will bite/attack in a heartbeat. [/quote]

Just goes to show you what you get when you have the most popular breed since 1991 + very greedy people = a wonderful breed being ruined by puppy millers and BYB's. :x And then we could talk about all the health problems they have caused...but let's not. :cry: (Winnie, my lab, has HD)

Kaleb, I am so sorry you had to go through all of this. You did the right thing in putting him down, he was not trustworthy. My throat is tight and my eyes are blurry, I just finished reading the story on the website... poor Suki. It was not his fualt, the poor boy! :cry:

R.I.P Suki... :angel:

What a horrible breeder! You should report her/him! 2 WEEKS?! :o I would have never believed it...!!

[b][size=7][color=violet]WELCOME BACK YELLOW![/color][/size][/b] :D So glad to have yah back! And I know EXACTLY what you mean about people wanting a Lab for thier kids! It's so anoying! Most people also want a Golden, but the Lab is what everyone wants I guess because it's a lighter shedder then the Golden. I actually met a guy who asked me if we would trade dogs because he wanted to enter Rowie in Dog fighting... :o That was a change...

Guest Anonymous

So now I'm sitting here sobbing. People can be so stupid and it is the dog that pays the ultimate price. I'm so sorry, Kaleb. Sorry that you had to go through this, but mostly sorry that Suki's life was so full of mistrust and fear.

K

[color=darkred]Kaleb I am so sorry for the loss of that dog who deserved better....being rehomed at 2 weeks is utterly irresponsible, the breeders should not be allowed to breed, at that age puppies should be with there mothers until 8 weeks. It makes me so mad :evil: this thing about my children need a dog.....they should be a family pet that children should be bought up with not some toy they will get bored of within a few seconds.
If only some people used there brains they were born with[/color] :evil: