Dogomania

I hate pet stores!

StarFox

Uh!! Soo mad! Went out with my friend today. Well we decided to go to the mall because she had to pay some bills. Anyways we passed by this pet store where they sold puppies!!!! :evil: It was a big store and in the front they kept these poor little dogs in glass "prisons". I didn't go in but I looked at them from the window out of curiousity. They were selling PURE BREED....Ok get this...Labradoodles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AGGH! :evil: :drinking: Un-be-leve-able! And since they were pure breeds they cost 400+ dollars. Uh..so desgusting. By this time I'm nearly yelling that there is no such thing and my freind goes "so what's the big deal?". Errr! I had to try soo hard not to yell at my freind when she asked. So as calmly as i could I told here that there was no such thing as a pure breed "labradoodle" and that it was actually a Mixed breed. And then i told her where these puppies most likly came from, a puppymill. And I told her about the horrid things that happens at a puppymill and all my freind can say is "oh"...oh?? that's it? oh? Figures that she would say "oh" considering her family dosn't think it's a "Priority" to get there pup spayed or trained but they think that shopping at Nemiun Marcus(sp?) is a top priority. Gah! Sometimes I wonder what is the point of trying to educate people when they don't want to learn. And as for the pet store...there were so many people in there with there kids.....and none of these kids or the parents would even guess what these pups have been through.

Ok sorry about the ranting and raving :oops: I just needed to vent some.

I know exactly what you mean, Starfox. At a petstore here I saw a 5 month GSD and a newfie being kept in a glass box! The poor things couldn't even move properly in there! And soooooo many puppies... I can't believe people can be so ignorant to buy from them! I mean, the puppies are more expensive at the petstore than at the breeders! Imagine...

I know what you mean Star... :cry:

In Bahrain it is much, much worse! ALL the puppies are from Puppy Mills! :x NONE are from breeders, there are NO breeders. The ONLY breeders are probably just Pom breeders or any kind of fluffy dog! :x It's really bad, the people here don't know ANYTHING about breeding, al they do is breed! They think it's GOOD! I'm so happy I got Rowie from a guy who was selling her instead of a PUPPY MILLER! :evil: I was smart enough not to buy a puppy from one. :wink:

It really hurts me when I go into supermarkets, and there are ads that say "Puppies for Sale". And this happens EVERY time I go into supermarket! :cry: It's really hard to live in Bahrain if your a dog lover.. :cry:

I agree, I hate Pet stores that sell puppies too !! :evil:
We have a big one called Pet Depot and I always look at the puppies. :(
I feel so bad for them, they almost never have anything to lay on , just the cold wire bottom cages. :cry: Puppies need to be playing and interacting. They always look so depressed in those cages. :cry:
They do cost way more than breeders, but that's cause the pet store has to make a profit too. They count on the puppies cuteness to pull people into impulse buying. Alot of people don't do their homework before buying a puppy. :-? And most of these pet stores give their customers instant financing. :evilbat:

That really is sad! I would never buy a dog from a pet store nor would I sell dogs in my pet store!!

Ya know my hubby wanted a bullmastiff so bad and the first place we went to they wanted $1500...I love my hubby but I couldn't do it. We ended up buying from a lady and we paid $300 for her. She said she just wanted to make back some money for the vetl bills. So we got her, and I immeadiately had her spayed. We had no intention of breeding her.

At this point I would never get another dog unless from a shelter. My hubby wants more dogs and more land so they can run free. I am much more eductated now, then I was before, I won't spend my money to "buy" a puppy, but I will spend my money to love and spoil a puppy.

The funny thing is, my dog is supposedly a "pure breed" and she has so many problems, so it doesn't matter. There is nothing perfect in this world and so many just are clueless. The only reason my hubby wanted that breed was he loved her face, and his mom would never let him have a big dog, lol

I opened my online store 6 months ago, and I will never sell a treat or product that is not all natural! And the organization I advocate and donate a % of my sales too, is [url]www.rainbowfarms.org[/url] The dogs there are so sad looking, it breaks my heart :(

Anyhow, sorry for rambling, just my thoughts on the subject. :-?

Guest Anonymous

I worked in a mall pet shop. I am happy to say that even though I lost my job, I was instrumental in having the shop closed.
The puppies in the pet shop are treated wonderfully. The puppies that make it to the shop are the lucky ones. It's the mills that have to be stopped. And yes stopping the shops is the first step.
When I took this job, I had never heard of a puppy mill. This was about 8 years ago. Everyone that worked at the shop loved animals. You see the puppies in glass cages and it looks bad. You don't see the work behind the scenes. At the shop I worked for, the puppies were taken out and exercised. They were bathed and well fed and watered. We cleaned the cages every two hours.
But, we all wondered where the puppies came from? We would ask the owner and he would tell us - from responsible breeders. We believed him. The puppies came in looking cute and healthy. The prices he charged were outragous but oh well. If people are willing to pay $400 for a puppy?
Then the owner started to have financial difficulty. The pups coming in were very sad. The owner said he found a new supplier. The first 4 were so sad. I don't know what they were but really sickly. Then he got 4 poms? They were all blind. He sold them anyway and when 2 people brought the pup back, he sold them again, without telling anyone that they were blind.
It was a this point that the employees tried to find out who was selling the pups and what we could do. We snuck into the office when the owner was out and tried to find names of the mills. I did most of the calling. I didn't have a computer then. I found the name and address of a puppy mill in Missouri. I called every one I could think of. The USDA and others. As a result, our pet shop was closed. The puppy mill as far as I know is still in business. My phone bill the last month I worked there was much more than my pay.
Shutting the pet shops that sell puppy mill puppies is a first step. But if there is a pet shop still in business in your mall - I would say get a job there and see if you can do some under cover work. I am happy to say we have no more pet shops in my malls.
Sorry this was so long.

Well done gutsogirl!!!!

My blood always starts to boil when I walk past the local pet shop that sells puppies and kittens. I am now even angrier - they now have a sign in their window that says something along the lines of do you have puppies and kittens that you would like us to buy from you and find good homes for? :evil: :evil: :evil: All this does is encourge Joe and Mary to breed their dog so get some cash grrrrrrr. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I agree! It is soooo wrong. A lot of the puppys at the pet stores are sick or have a disease. It is a very sad thing. A lot of those puppys never get out to play or even get petted. At least at humane societys they have that chance of being handled and adopted. I wish they would band puppys from being sold at pet stores.

[img]http://thumbs.webshots.com/sym/na3/9/92/3/74699203BJBfeD_th.jpg[/img]

When we bought Lucky ( I know, Iknow...... I was 8 at the time and my parents knew NOTHING about puppy mills, now we know better.) The puppies were pretty well looked after. But they told us he came from a "reputable breeder" (he's a mutt for crying out loud! at least they didn't put a fancy name on his 'breed') In Nova Scotia. They said half the litter was kept "to be show dogs" I didn't know till later thats mutts can't be in shows. But the good thing is the supervisot at PJ's (petstore) is trying to get the people who own PJ's to stop selling puppies and kittens. She also take all the puppies who are too big or past the "cute stage" and findthem homes for free.

Most of the big pet stores around here (Petco, Petsmart) only carry supplies, fish, reptiles and once in a while they will have birds that are brought in for adoption. They also hold dog and kitty adoptions there on
weekends, they get sponsored by some of the area shelters. I have occasionally seen Ferrets and rabbits, but they stopped the whole rabbit thing because they kept being brought back. Oh yea, and Gerbils. People like Gerbils, they sell alot of those. But even their Ferret and Gerbil cages are set up like a natural environment, it was cool...

I like the fact that they do adoptions there too.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, it is horrible that puppies are sold in pet stores in the US.

Luckily, as Crested already said, in Finland there aren't any dogs or cats sold in stores.

Well, we do still have a problem with somekind of puppy millers here... Luckily they work in a smaller scale than the ones there in USA.

[quote name='cavalier']I hate puppymills :evil: Here in Iceland is one puppymill and they have abote 150 dogs :( And I cant do anything to stop it :cry: :x
I hate this plase you kan see pichers of it here [url]http://frontpage.simnet.is/jv1/aboutdalsmynni.html[/url] so sad but true :cry:

here is one picher

[img]http://frontpage.simnet.is/jv1/Picture_0798.jpg[/img][/quote]

Petstors in Iceland dont sell puppyes but its one puppymill in Iceland anyway so sad :( :cry:

sorry aboate my english :oops: :oops: :oops:

[quote name='Michele']i went into a pet store...i asked the owner where did one particular dog come from. She says to me: from his mother and father. I was with my friend and after the owner said that to me my friend tried to drag me out of the store but I wasnt moving. I said to the owner: well, that's quite obvious. What puppymill are they from? The owner looked under her desk and finally, after awhile answered me: they are from Oklahoma. Well, i am doing research now on this pet shop. I didnt like her smug attitude, AND she was trying to sell this chihuahua for $1100...[/quote]

Make them sweat!!! :evil: Go to the petstore again and act like your inspecting the place inch by inch from wall to wall and cealing to floor. Investigate every single place in the store you can go to and when somebody asks what you are doing, tell them that you are just takeing a look at the place where the puppies go to from the puppymills. :wink: Then go to one of the puppies and say loud and clear so that everybody can hear you that you heard that this puppy's mother was shot a couple weeks ago because she got to exhausted after having 50 puppies in her four year life. Then walk to the next puppy and say that you heard that this ones brothers and sisters were killed by parvo virus as was his parents. Then go and ask how many puppies have died or been killed in their shop the past year. And to top it all off, ask them if they have seen thoose ten puppies with serious symptoms of parvo. And end the conversation with screaming that the shop is a deathtrap to all pets and humans as furiously ad you can before bursting out of the door mumbling "they killed my dog" (small white lie for the greater good) so everybody passing you will hear you!. :diablotin: Oh and it would be cool if you could allso say loud and clear before bursting from the shop that you bought a puppy from there two weeks ago and who died just a week ago and that you are going to press charges on them for cruelty to animals! :evilbat: MWAHAHAHAHA!

Ahh, how I love the smell of endangered petshops in the middle of the night! :evilbat:

[quote name='cavalier'][quote name='cavalier']I hate puppymills :evil: Here in Iceland is one puppymill and they have abote 150 dogs :( And I cant do anything to stop it :cry: :x
I hate this plase you kan see pichers of it here [url]http://frontpage.simnet.is/jv1/aboutdalsmynni.html[/url] so sad but true :cry:

here is one picher

[img]http://frontpage.simnet.is/jv1/Picture_0798.jpg[/img][/quote]

Petstors in Iceland dont sell puppyes but its one puppymill in Iceland anyway so sad :( :cry:

sorry aboate my english :oops: :oops: :oops:[/quote]

I've been on that page once before. It makes me mad!! :evil: Poor babies!

/Crest

[size=7][color=red]AAARGH!!!!
[img]http://frontpage.simnet.is/jv1/Picture_0795.jpg[/img]
[/color][/size]
Japanise Chin and [u][i][b]Chinese Crested[/b][/i][/u]
[size=7][color=red]THOOSE BASTARDS WILL PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :mad: :motz: :madgo: [/color][/size]

The two poems from that page... I thought you might want to read them... :cry:

[b]MAMA KILLED MY BROTHER TODAY[/b]

"Mama killed my brother today.
All he wanted to do was play.
He bit her ear he didn't know
it was frostbitten from last night's snow."

She was eight months old when we were born.
In an old wire cage at the puppy farm.
In pain and scared, in the dark and alone,
Mama gave us our lives and made us a home.

She cleaned each one up and chewed through the cords,
And she laid on the wire so we'd stay on the boards.
She moved us around so we'd all get some milk.
I thought Mama's belly felt just like silk.

She stayed up nights from the time we arrived.
And nosed us and licked us to keep us alive.
She grew weak and thin but she made no fuss,
And she managed to save all eight of us.

But all mamas need some place to go
When little puppies start to grow.
Their razor teeth and needle nails
Turn 3 x 4 cages into jails.

An hour of rest and a little sun -
If she'd just had some space to run..
Or a place for us to tumble and play
For at least a little part of each day.

I wish she could have walked in the yard,
So her life would not have been so hard.
But our Mama, who'd been so sweet and kind,
Was slowly starting to lose her mind.

Then last night the big snow came down
It piled up some places two feet on the ground.
The wind blew it on us, with no place to hide.
But bless our poor mama, she tried and she tried.

She snapped when he bit her - her ear was so sore.
Not meaning to hurt him, just tell him "No more!"
He was caught in the ribcage and punctured a lung.
Brother died on her belly, right where he'd begun.

She's nosing him now but he cannot stir.
And all we can do is look at her.
She started to cry and has howled all day,
Still nobody's come to take him away.

I was scared to see my brother die,
But more scared to hear my Mama cry.
And just now the big truck's come rolling in
To take some more pups from the pens again.

They had them all loaded when he looked in at us.
He just shook his head and went back for a box.
All he left in our cage was brother and Mama.
"They're four weeks old. Go on and load 'em."

Our eyes got big but we didn't cry.
"Mama, are we going to die?"
We're rolling now but we don't know to where.
PLEASE GOD, help our Mama - she has to stay there.

Day after day..
each one the same,
another year older
a little more lame
My body is sore
and hot with infection
in the freezing cold
or the searing heat
with nothing but wire
beneath swollen feet
my food bowl is empty
my water dish dry
What did I do??
please tell me, why?
the litters come
and the litters go
where do they take them?
I don't know...
is this a bad joke?
or a horrible game?
I have no home
not even a name
no one to love me
no one to care
no one to bathe me
and brush my hair
my teeth are rotting
my eyes are encrusted
where are the people
to whom I'm entrusted?
I cry every night...
so afraid, don't you see?
could this be the life
God intended for me?
someone, speak for me
I am losing my will
take me out of this hell.

Now I'm really angry!! :evil:

[b]A Phone Conversation to Dalsmynni (August 23. 2002 at 12:30(noon))[/b]

Good morning, can I speak to Asta?

- This is Asta

- Hi, you have Chihuahua puppies for sale, right?

- Yes

- I was wondering if you have any available for me?

- Yes I have one short haired left, ready at the end of the month

- When was he born?

- He was born on - hmmm... June 28

- How much does he cost?

- 130,000 Is. kr (about 1.500 US dollars)
- Yes, I think I