Dogomania

microchipping

abker17

Microchipping is law here, so all our dogs (and cats) are chipped. Tessa was done that long ago i can't remember how much it cost and Lily was already done by the breeder when i got her. I highly reccomend it for anyone who loves their dog and doesn't want it lost or stolen. IT gives me great peace of mind that if one of my dogs does dissapear I"ll get it back. It doesn't cauzee much pain, no more than a regular vaccination would.

My breeder had already had all the pups microchipped before they went to their homes so Indy was already done.

Even if it wasn't the law to have it done, I still would. Like Aurora said it give me great peace of mind to know that if (god forbid) Indy every ended up at the pound or being taken to a vets office etc I am only a phone call away.

Rowie is going to be microchipped soon... :D

It's much better than ID tags, ID tags fall off, or someone can take them off on purpose ! :x (But still make sure they're wearing it!)

I doesn't hurt all that much, just like a vaccine, the prices here are different, so I'm not sure.. :wink:

Actually, I had first hand experience with that panic today with the peace of mind I'd get my baby back! Of course I was still worried, mothers instinct when they're babys lost is to panic, I was lucky though, she came home on her own.
I was so angry. Dad took me to uni today and seeing as I only had three hours and dad loves studying he stayed in the library until I finnished for the day. We got home to find no Lily... I was so angry!!!! Ok, Willems schizophrenic so I do make some exceptions to what he does, but when he goes out and just leaves Lily running the street, THAT IS JUST NOT ONE OF THE EXCEPTIONS I'LL MAKE!!!! We have perfectly fine doors, he was careless enough to let the dog out - he should have made sure she was back in before he left!
I rang him at his friends as soon as I got home and he was just like "I don't know where she is, she started following me down the road and I told her to go home and she disapeared". Argh!!! :x
Well, I went back outside to look for her and she must have heard me calling her before because there she was, like an angel trotting across the road to see me :fadein:
I was lucky this time, but I swear it wont happen again, I'll kill him if it happens again!! :evil:
I'm gonna have a good long chat to him and tell him that if it happens again.... I don't know what, but he'll get the picture.
Sorry for going a little off topic, but I just had to vent!!! My little baby running around for three hours :(
Anyway, my point was, no matter how angry, panicd etc I was, I still knew that if she was found I was only a phone call away :wink:

I'm so glad she came home! You must have been so relieved!

It's awesome that you guys all microchip your dogs. Is that all throughout Australia, or just in your city or province?

Macy was tattooed when I got her, and she has a tag, but I also want to get her microchipped. I'm just so paranoid! I'm actually more worried about someone stealing her than about her running away, though.

Guest Anonymous

I am a definate pro-chipper. He didnt even flinch and he was like 4 months when we got it done. Drey is microchipped and tatooed on his inner rear thigh. They are great ways to get your dog back if he runs away or worse if he is stolen. also keep an up to date picture of your dogs, make sure it is clear and any special things about your dogs are visible on them. a good face shot and either side usually suffice. In my area a dog like drey is a dog-nappers dream. we just make sure that he is never outside alone and that he has proer ID that isnt removeable.
if you are thinking about it I SAY DO IT!!
:black:

Thanks for your replies everyone! :) I'm going to get Abby microchipped as soon as I can call the vet and see how much it is. Is there different kinds of chips? Which do U think is best? I want to make sure I get the one that would be most effective if my dog gets lost. 8)

Guest Anonymous

I know that there are at least four different kinds of chips and registries. Depending on your vet they have a different registy i talked to the pounds in my area and the vets around here to see which one was the most popular amongst them. so you might want to do the same, doesnt do any good to have your dog chipped with a registry that isnt recognized in your area as if your dog were picked up the chip may not register right. Look into it and see how it works where you are from. I had to look it up AVID is the chip of choice around here. some chips and scanners are made so that they only work with each other in an effort to corner the market. but others will detect any brand of chip AVID does, that makes me feel a little better tat they are more worried about me getting my dog as opposed to having the only chip in use. thats just me, though.

[quote]Rowie is going to be microchipped soon...

It's much better than ID tags, ID tags fall off, or someone can take them off on purpose ! (But still make sure they're wearing it!)

I doesn't hurt all that much, just like a vaccine, the prices here are different, so I'm not sure[/quote]..

I USE TAGS AS WELL. FOR EXTRA SAFTY :)

[quote name='Sanvean']I'm so glad she came home! You must have been so relieved!

It's awesome that you guys all microchip your dogs. Is that all throughout Australia, or just in your city or province?[/quote]

Thanks, I was relieved!!!! She's so silly on the roads. I was so worried. Also, she's a gorgeous dog and if someone awful didn't realise she was desexed they would have pinched her in a second. I had a chat to Willem, told him not to be so careless and if she did get out not to just walk away with her running around the neighbourhood and if he did let her out and something happened he'd be paying the fines! I'm going to see a counsiller next week, while I'm there I'll ask how to handle Willem etc.

I'm not sure if micro chipping is law in all Australia, I know it is throughout nsw, though I think it is everywhere else as well.

Mr. Kato got chipped yesterday. $41 for the Home Again chip. It is a BIG needle and it has a trigger system that shoots the chip in. I'm not sure how bad it actually hurt though. He's so melodramatic about everything, so he let loose one of his famous screams. It was all over in 2 seconds and he was back to wagging his tail at everyone. Now he beeps like a bag of chips from the grocery store. :lol:

[quote name='Kiger']Mr. Kato got chipped yesterday. $41 for the Home Again chip. It is a BIG needle and it has a trigger system that shoots the chip in. I'm not sure how bad it actually hurt though. He's so melodramatic about everything, so he let loose one of his famous screams. It was all over in 2 seconds and he was back to wagging his tail at everyone. Now he beeps like a bag of chips from the grocery store. :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, Whit didn't flinch at all but Mason milked it for all it was worth for about 5 seconds! Now that Kato's chipped try to remember to have it scanned every now and then to be sure it's not shifting. (Nope, neither of my kid's chips have moved and Whit's has been there for close to 7 years.) I have the vet scan them sometimes. Sometimes they have microchip clinics at dog shows and agility trials. I've found that as long as you don't hit them when they have a very long line, they're quite willing to scan your dog for you.

In Australia (Victoria) I don't think it's compulsory to have all dogs microchipped yet but there has been a lot of talk about legislation. The shelter where we got the horror puppy (bk :wink: ) from does that to all the dogs they put up for adoption, as well as vaccinations, desexing if needed, and personality tests to see if they're suitable to be adopted in the first place. (I don't know how he passed LOL.) All up we paid AUD$90 (about US$50) for him and 7 years later he's still raising hell and as fit as a fiddle. Ummm anyway microchipping- there is a national registry in Australia your dog goes on when s/he is chipped, and a set of tags is sent or given to you to put on the dog's collar, so if one method doesn't work the other will. The chips last 5 years then they need to be redone, I got a good deal through the obedience club which meant the rechipping cost $20 or $25 (about US$ 10-15.) Also BK has council registration tags and a name tag with our phone number on it too.