Dogomania

Spiked Collars

Luka-pop

Truly, no offense to those who use one, but what's up with the collars with the spikes on the outside of them? I know that it doesn't directly hurt the dog, but isn't it in the way when he wants to lie down or whatever. Isn't it painful for the owners that decide to go over and hug their dog? I have a friend who thinks she's gothic (she's a really nice kid), and everytime I walk with her down the crowded hallways, her spiked bracelet digs into me, and it kills! I just don't get the point of them. Is it supposed to make the dog look tough? Why? I hate how a lot of shelter dogs come in with those "gangster" collars. And the dogs are all either pit bulls, mastiffs, A. bulldogs, E. bulldogs, Dobies, Rotties, Staffies, Amstaffs, or other bully breeds. I just don't understand? They're pretty heavy, so I feel bad for the poor dog's neck (muscle strain for trying to keep its head up).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Guest Anonymous

if you think that the spiked collars are bad there is a big thing with actually tying weights to the dogs collars it not unusual to see them tunning around with 10 or 15lb weights dangling between thier legs.

As for the spiked collars all of my dogs have one, they actually like them they walk around and act tough when its on. I usually just use it in pictures or when we are going to a good friend of mines home, he always joked with me that a killer dog should have killer spikes, i thought it was funny so i bought one and then i just ended up getting one for each dog.
:black:

We only got a spiked collar for one of our dogs - actually my mom's dog Joe.
Now I know some people may disagree but I think that every dog like my mom's Joe should where one of these huge spiked collars - it completes their image. After all what 25lb snugglewuss cockaterrpoo mutt is complete without a nasty spiked collar. :lol:
We actually only put it on him for Halloween, it was very cute. Joe tolerated this with his usuall patient stoicism.

I hope nobody thinks that I'm against spiked collars, cuz that's definitely not what I meant. It does look cute on certain dogs. I knew this dog once who had one. He looked all tough and everything, but he was the biggest CHICKEN. He would hide under a table, just when somebody sneezed a loud one - lol. :D Doesn't it hurt though, when you're cuddling with the dog, especially with a dog like mine, who gets all excited and jumps up and hugs you? Now imagine having one on a westie or something... that would be creepy. I still hate all the cute so-called "bully breeds" that end up in the shelter wearing those things. I guess it's just a mental image, cuz the first time I saw those collars was on a fighting dog in this special documentary about humane education. Sorry guys. I know you guys are great owners, but it's so hard to break out of those first impression images. There are just some ignorant, irresponsible people that ruin it for the rest of us. Rggg... :x :evil:

Nah, it doesn't hurt. The spikes are blunt so its almost like they're not even there. Neither of my dogs look right without a spiked collar, Lily got Tessa's old one when Lily grew out of her normal red collar. Now Tessa's got the red collar and it just looks so wrong... I've gotta get her another spiked collar. I've also found that most of the spiked collars last ten times longer than the others.
Most of the dogs that are dumped here either have one of those worn fabric collars, a peice of rope or nothing at all around their neck, spiked collars cost too much for most people who don't love their dogs that much. :evilbat:

Guest Anonymous

I want one for myself and for Hazel! LOL I would only put it on her for like special ocassions though, just for fun... and I don't think they'd be heavy.
My friend's got one for his neck, and it's actually rather light, you can get them made at a store in PG (where he lives) as long as you bring in the studs, they'll put them in the leather.

I think large dogs, especially Rotts, Bullies etc. get a bad enough rap already without adding spiked collars to the image. What is it with people who want their dogs to look 'tough'. I have a Rott and a GSD and NO I would not put a spike collar on either of my dogs and IMO they look darn stupid. What other reason would there be to put a collar like that on a dog than to make it look tough?

I have seen more spiked collars on Chihuahuas/Poodles etc than I have on any of those breeds. I really want to get a spiked collar for my Samoyed, but a) his neck is so damn big and b) he's so damn fluffy that I don't think anyone would see it. My first thought when I see a spiked collar on a dog is "Hey! Punk Rock Puppy!" I have friends who have spiked collars on thier dogs and spikes on their jackets, and I've never been scratched by the dog's collar, their owner's jacket on the other hand is a different matter.

Guest Anonymous

I personally dont let my boys run and lay aound the house when they have thier collars on, they can hurt because while the spikes arent pin sharp then do have a point and when you have a hundred pounds of dog leaning into you for som lovin' it can get painful, but people really did like to see me and the boys walking along in them, the Rottie, Dobie and the Chihuahua, all black and tan with the black studded collar, people would comment on the little one being the toughtest looking :) , he did kind of run the house though.

The collars actually do serve a purpose in some countries, they put the large collars on the dogs, so that they can guard livestock from wolves and bears but still be protected from a throat bite, which is pretty much game over. As well as for protection or guard dogs they are used so that a dog can not be easily grabbed by an attacker since about the only place you can grab a dog and not get bitten is rght in the neck area. That is the dark part of the collars though, we simply wear them as a kind of joke.

Some people like them others do not, I you dont like them dont buy them but dont judge my boys based on them.

Are you all talking about the same thing? Some posts sound like you are speaking of spiked leather collars, i.e. spikes on the outside of the collar and some posts sound like you are speaking of prong collars, prongs on the INSIDE to apply pressure to the dogs neck. Two VERY different collars and issues.

Guest Anonymous

we are speaking of Spiked or studded collars on the OUTSIDE. The prong collar debate is in the training forum. This is more of a fashion thing, i guess :question:

They actually had a purpose to start out with!

When people initially started using spiked collars it was to protect their dogs. Back when they actually used dogs for hunting wild game and (unfortunately) fighting wild aimals and other dogs for entertainment, the spiked collar actually prevented the other animals from biting the dog's neck! At that time the spikes were sharp and there were more of them. Now they have become a fashion statement.

I think they look kind of cool on bully breed dogs. I've been thinking of getting them for my Staffy Bull and my Olde English Bulldogge. To some extent I agree with one of the other responses here though. Having the dogs wear those collars might just add to people's fear of the dogs and perpetuate their bad reputation. I don't know.

My Goliath, an English Bulldog, wears a black spiked collar when we go out for walks. We got it because we think it just suits him (vanity thing). We find that peope are still attracted to him because he is just so darn cute! i think that with English Bulldogs, peolple kind of expect that from them. Think of the last ad you saw in a magazine using a Bulldog. I bet it had a spiked collar on.

No one seems afraid or offended by Goliath's collar.

Like everyone said, spiked collars are basically just for show. I do agree that owners of some breeds need to be more "conservative", because when people are already watching your dog with suspicion, a spiked or even studded collar is likely to make them even more unwilling/unable to see that the dog wearing the collar isn't really "bad". I like the collars on the site that K posted much better (the ones with the brass fittings and Staffordshire knots), but that's just me :lol:

Guest Anonymous

maybe a "spiked" collar is what i really need for hazel then!! It's so hard now a days to tell people "SHE BITES" I've had so many people where they even KNOW she bites but they want to feel like a "dog wisperer" or something, and aproach her anyway! :roll: In that case, all I can do is try to pull my dog away and tell them once more "HEY! This dog bites! DON'T come near her!!" maybe with a spiked collar, they might look twice first... but then again... sigh... at least she's been good lately! Yay!

Hazel, I take BK for a walk with a plain old collar and lead and people cross the road to avoid him (I know that's why they do because they cross back as soon as we've passed them). :roll: He would look very cute in a spiked collar but he has a very pretty red collar with a bone design on it. :angel: He also wears his little red bandanna (as you can see in my avatar), all the better for grabbing him off other dogs' backs with. :roll: :wink:

[quote name='"bk_blue"']Hazel, I take BK for a walk with a plain old collar and lead and people cross the road to avoid him (I know that's why they do because they cross back as soon as we've passed them).

hey bk- are people really scared of him? i've had some similar reactions to dresden. must be because they are both so unusual looking. i am probably going to get a nice leather collar wtih the blunt spikes on it in a year or so when she's done growing, i did get her hoping she'd get big and protective and all that, the collar might enhance that impression........or make her look even funnier. she was really sweet today, kept coming up and leaning on me to get petted.

Awww so cute! Gigantic sook, her and bk must be related. :roll:

Yeah, people ARE scared of him. It makes me chuckle because he just loves everyone. If someone attacked me though he'd rip their throat out, but generally he just sucks up to everyone he meets, so they think he's lovely and I try to stop myself from gagging. :wink:
A lot of the time he gets mistaken for a puppy, must be his boisterous attitude. The only sign that he's middle-aged is his ears, the tips are getting a bit grey. Apart from that he's as active as any young dog. You're in for lots of fun with Miss D, I can tell you now!

His breath stinks a little bit, it's not that bad though, much better when he has bones and chewies to gnaw on. He generally doesn't lick people, he saves that for me (when he's grooming himself if my hand or foot gets in the way it gets several luscious sweeps of BK tongue). He's just a big suck, he'll wag his tail and put his ears back and generally look happy, then will ignore whoever it is patting him and look for something more exciting to do. As if he is deigning someone two minutes of his precious time to be fussed over!! :roll:
I think it would be interesting to see a Lab with a spiky collar, the only dogs I've seen them on are large mongrels, bull terriers/other bull breeds, GSDs, Rotties, Dobes...
I want to get Tomson one, I think it would be hysterical to see a tiny Dachshund take on the world with a badass collar. 8) (to be honest, I think he needs more "keep away I bite" signs than BK, who is 10 times his size)