Dogomania

I KNEW it would happen....

courtnek

in the last 10 years the coyotes and foxes have come back to the suburban areas around here. near me they are in the woods and sometimes by the river, but the farther west you go the land is more open and there are more of them. now there are houses being built on that land, and the coyotes are face to face with people on what was once their home...now I like having them here. the incidents of car accidents caused by deer have declined as the coyote population has increased.
I think thats a good thing. there is also a decline in roadkill of possums and squirrels and raccoons...

anyway, about 15 miles west of me a Pom that was loose in its large unfenced yard got snatched by a coyote. the teenage son heard the dog yelp and ran up to the coyote, who dropped the dog and ran off. they are generally afraid of people. the dog was injured, with puncture wounds
survived and is fine.

of course, now the dogs owner is up in arms about the coyotes being there and wants "something done". (which to me, translates into a witch hunt for the coyotes)

now the real kicker? he KNEW the coyotes were there when he bought the house! he SEES them now and then! so knowing you have coyotes around your house, do you let your little fluffball dog loose in an unfenced yard with no one watching him?

:o :roll: :evil:

I know what you mean Courtnek, it's really sad that as soon as people see wildlife as any kind of inconvenience, it's time to exterminate them.

At my old house in Calif there used to be a coyote that patrolled at night. Sometimes I'd see him going up the road after everyone had left the bar. I liked having him there and he did the good service of whittling the stray cat population down every now and again.

What gets me even worse than the coyotes is how indiscriminatley people kill snakes. I've counted over the years the number of rattlesnakes I've spotted, and over the years the number has gotten smaller and smaller until my last year in Calif in which I didn't find any. People refuse to believe that snakes are not a problem. If you live in snake country (I'm talking about venomous species) you should educate yourself and your children, most pets are wise enough to leave them be. And when people realize that snakes are not nearly as much of a danger to themsleves and their families there shouldn't be any need to kill them. If you don't like snakes go live in the city! Alot of the snakes that people kill are completely harmless and are victims of human ignorance.

Ok, rant done.

I saw something very similiar to that on TV not that long ago. I believe it was a New Jersey location, and the dog was on a deck on a long lead and the poor thing was taken right off the deck :(

It's a problem when WE enter their territory. Reminds me of gators in Florida too....

Yeah, even fencing doesn't make your dog completely safe. Coyotes can generally jump anything less than a six foot fence despite their small size. Interestingly I've noticed the coyotes from back home are quite a bit larger than the ones I've seen elsewhere, they could easily jump even a six foot fence.

Folks should learn that if you have a small dog or cat and they live in coyote country (that goes for any bold predator, I bet you'd be surprised how many pets go to birds of prey), you just have to keep an eye on them while they're out, and viola, everyone stays safe.

exactly. thanks. we killed and drove off all the wolves, the deer's natural predator. people and deer get killed in car accidents every day. the coyotes have returned, and are now packing, to take down deer. Please, no Bambi posts, this is natural selection, outside of man...

coytoes packing? unheard of. they have always been solitary. we changed the course of the coyotes lifestyle, forcing them to pack to eat, when they were loners before. when there was more little prey. now the prey is big, they have to pack to survive...

when there is a food source as large as deer are here, and they are destroying the forestlands, nature stepped in. coyotes came back, packed and now hunt them...

hmmm....did we stick out foot in our mouths, or what? we changed the order of natural selection....and now coyotes are no longer shy loners who hang on the outskirts and pick up possum. they are pack hunters, as wolves were...

and getting bolder by the minute..when do we realize that nature controls this, not us?

:evil:

[quote name='Canis erectus']What gets me even worse than the coyotes is how indiscriminatley people kill snakes. I've counted over the years the number of rattlesnakes I've spotted, and over the years the number has gotten smaller and smaller until my last year in Calif in which I didn't find any. People refuse to believe that snakes are not a problem. If you live in snake country (I'm talking about venomous species) you should educate yourself and your children, most pets are wise enough to leave them be. And when people realize that snakes are not nearly as much of a danger to themsleves and their families there shouldn't be any need to kill them. If you don't like snakes go live in the city! Alot of the snakes that people kill are completely harmless and are victims of human ignorance.[/quote]

This whole thread is good to see but I especially want to thank you for sticking up for the snakes. I have a major phobia of them but without them we would have a terrible imbalance and probably bubonic plague (which we've actually seen 2 cat and one person case of in my region this year).

[quote name='courtnek']coytoes packing? unheard of. they have always been solitary. [b]we changed the course of the coyotes lifestyle, forcing them to pack to eat[/b], when they were loners before. when there was more little prey. now the prey is big, they have to pack to survive...[/quote]

[quote name='courtnek']..when do we realize that nature controls this, not us?[/quote]
I'm not sure what you mean here? Are you saying we caused the Coyotes to start hunting in packs, or that this is a natural next step beyond our control?

the "little prey". raccoons, rabbits, possums, rabbits...were driven out by houses and strip malls and stores. they now feed on peoples garbage and live in neighborhoods under stoops and patio's....they too are affected.its hard for a coyote to enter neighborhoods,being well lit and
not forestlike. or it was....like their prey, they are now emboldenedby need. also, the deer who were not normally their prey (except for young fawns) are now enormously overpopulated. we helped change their lifestyles, but Ma Nature stepped in and let them know somehow that there is safety in numbers. they now replace wolves as the deers most common predator.

they were always more adaptable, which is why they have survived when the wolves almost died out. and now they are the "wolves"...they are packing and hunting like wolves, something they never did before we stepped in and took their living areas and prey away from them.

does that help?

[quote name='Courtnek']they were always more adaptable, which is why they have survived when the wolves almost died out. and now they are the "wolves"...they are packing and hunting like wolves, something they never did before we stepped in and took their living areas and prey away from them.

does that help?[/quote]
Yes, but do you see this as a bad thing? Deer need a predator besides humans anyway.

Yes, we did take over the habitat of a lot of these animals. Again, I don't see why that's a bad thing either. It's not like there is a chance of wildlife like, rabbits, deer, skunks, possoms or coyotes becoming extinct because of it. The fallback is now we have to live with them in our backyards.

Just because our presence changes the way of things, doesn't mean it's bad. It's just different.

oh no, you misunderstood, I dont think its bad. I am a big believer in letting nature take its course when it comes to natural selection in predators and prey. my concern is that the coyotes will be hunted and driven off like the wolves were. like Alan said, there is a natural symmetry to everything if we would just leave it alone.

8)