Dogomania

What is it that you do.......?

Malamum

You know, when I first joined Dogo I had just got my first puppy and had read as much as I could on what was the “right” way to raise a dog. I was as high and mighty as the next person and had very strong opinions on what should and should never be done.

Three years later I have a bit more experience with having dogs and have come to realize that there are no set rules of right and wrong and that the things that make up owning dogs come in many various shades of grey. I am no where near as judgmental as I used to be and have come to realize that most people are just doing the best they can in their given lives.

In the time that I’ve been at Dogo there have been multiple topics that have caused arguments as someone thinks that what someone else does with their dogs is wrong. The idea of what is wrong is all based on perspective and one persons idea of right is another person’s idea of wrong and I’m sure all of us don’t do exactly the same things with our dogs.

So what is it that you do? Do you :

1. Chain your dog
2. Crate your dog
3. Leave your dogs inside uncrated (got to watch out for those electrical cords you know)
4. Have your dogs outside unsupervised
5. Have your dog live outside
6. Keep your dog inside at all times due to not having a fenced yard
7. Have an intact dog
8. Have your dog de-sexed at 8 weeks
9. Wait to have your dog de-sexed – say a year old
10. Have a purebred dog
11. Have a mutt
12. Have a dog that was purposely bred to be a “designer dog”
13. Feed the cheapest supermarket dog food
14. Feed your dog bones
15. Feed your dog raw food
16. Let your dog ride in the back of a Ute
17. Let your dog ride in the front seat of the car
18. Let your dog ride in the car unsecured
19. Use a prong collar
20. Use a head halter
21. Use a choke chain
22. Use an e-collar
23. Vaccinate your dog every year
24. Don’t vaccinate your dog every year
25. Let you Pit bull play in dog parks
26. Let your dog play with tennis balls
27. Throw sticks for your dogs to catch
28. Breed your dog
29. Breed your dog under a certain age
30. Breed your dog over a certain age
31. Breed your dog a certain number of times
32. Breed your dog on consecutive heats
33. Ship puppies long distances
34. Crop your dogs ears
35. Dock your dogs tail
36. Believe in having dogs de-barked
37. Game test your dogs
38. Never take your dog for a walk
39. Never take your dog to any sort of formal obedience class
40. Have parents that don’t understand much about dogs and do everything contrary to what you try and do.
41. Go out to work and leave your dog at home alone without coming home at lunch to check on them.

From memory there have been topics on all of the above. Some people see nothing wrong with some of these things and others think that you are the devil incarnate if you do some of these.

I think we all need to get a bit of perspective. If someone does something that you don’t agree with, by all means say so – in a civil manner. However treating someone like they are the scum of the earth for doing something different to you or doing something that you wouldn’t do is narrow minded and I’d like to think most of us here are better than that.

Guest Anonymous

There are a few topics such as breeding I have strict rules for (health testing AT or AFTER reaching FULL MATURITY, age ranges, performance/conformation titles that I feel very strongly about. Maybe it's because I do foster for a "Rare breed" rescue and have seen way to many of them in the last two years. I believe in rescue not breeding. The only way I can see myself getting a dog from a breeder is if I wanted to do conformation (likely to be a cold day in hell before I do conformation...not my cup of tea). I'll go to breed rescue and get an ILP or other provisionary registration allowing me to do dog sports.

Somethings like obedience training...no I don't feel strongly about...I live with my dogs, I have them trained for my home. I have them trained to behave in public but will they win any titles...probably never in a million years.

I have adult dogs...don't care for puppies much honestly because I would have to take into consideration coming home for lunch and such.

I believe all dogs should be house pets unless they are working dogs such as livestock guardians. They have a job that requires them to be outside, being in the house would actually limit their ability to guard the flock.

Do I walk my dogs...NO simply because the last several times I've taken them for walks I've had idiots with aggressive dogs allowing them to come near my dogs, or dogs tied up in a front yard lunging at barking at my dogs. I have one dog who was spooked so badly she hates to go out the front door now.

Game testing...I know Hmmm does it but I honestly don't see the reason for it. Maybe it's because I like my very cold Pit girl and hate it the minute she shows aggression (I know I'm a horrible pit bull owner...I've been told so! Just for that reason to).

I try to respect most people's views unless I feel that it's not in the best interest of the dog (I don't like dogs being chained 24/7-what's the point of having a dog). Breeding practices...those I feel VERY strongly about. There are enough poorly bred, un-health tested dogs in this world why do we need more?

Disabled dogs....such as being deaf or blind...I beleive as long as the dog has a good quality of life it should be able to live.

Malamum, for what it's worth, I'm with you. I haven't really known how to respond to some of the hot topics lately. Things just aren't as black and white for me as they apparently are to a lot of others. There is no hidden meaning behind that statement... I only mean that I am probably not as knowledgeable in these areas as those responding. Either way, I don't know what to think.

In some of the things (many, many things, lol) you listed above, there are so many "right and wrong" ways to perceive and handle any of the above situations. For example, I could never leave my dogs unattended outside all day while I'm away at work for several reasons, but that's not to say it isn't an ok thing for others in other circumstances. It's the same way that other people could never stand to see a dog crated for several hours, but it works for us. I'm still having a hard time trying to swallow the whole "game testing" thing and that has been a hot button for me in the past, but I'm trying hard to open my mind to the fact that I could be missing something, even though I still have some pretty strong opinions about it. I just don't believe in absolutes, and these boards have taught me humility, if nothing else. I mean, there are lots of "right" ways to do things depending on each set of circumstances, I suppose.

It's been interesting reading lately, sure enough, but I'm lost on how to respond to most of it, so I mostly don't. I don't know enough about genetics and breeding to respond to Kiwi's thread, but right or wrong (second heat vs. two years), I have no doubt that Kiwi meant well. I also have no doubt that K means well with her passion about animal welfare. It's just hard to know how to respond... especially when I don't know what to believe. The bickering and arguing really hasn't bothered me, though. I have to be honest and admit that I love debate (not to be confused with personal attacks on character) and I like that people here who are longterm members and even somewhat friends can stand up to each other and disagree, even if vehemently. I can respect people who are willing to stand up against anyone, friend or not, to state their opinion. I just don't know what it is lately, though, that has made some of these opinions so strong or so close to the surface. :lol:

I'm as passionate about animal welfare as anyone, but I reckon all any of us can do is the best we can with the "knowledge" (perceived or real) we have of right and wrong.

Anyway, all that to say I totally get what you're saying. There is no one set of rules for every dog in every home.

Well I could only remember a few of the questions so here it goes.

My dogs are rarely left outside alone and when they are I'm watching them through the kitchen window.

My dogs don't live outside(all though my aunt would love that! :x ) After seeing how my neighbors dog gets treated as an outside dog I couldn't live with having an outside dog.

I got raw and dry food mixed up b4 when I posted and I DON'T use raw.

I do not own a pitbull. Although love the breed I wouldn't be home enough probably to keep it happy and I like having multi pet homes.

In this I wouldn't leave my pit alone due to stealing of dog for fighting.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Cinco... I think they were, er, rhetorical questions.[/quote]

That's okay I answered them all myself then decided that I was to long winded and just left what I posted.

[quote name='Tammy'][quote name='Horsefeathers!']Cinco... I think they were, er, rhetorical questions.[/quote]

That's okay I answered them all myself then decided that I was to long winded and just left what I posted.[/quote]

I almost answered them and then thought maybe I was the only nut that was taking it literally. :oops:

[quote name='Horsefeathers!'][quote name='Tammy'][quote name='Horsefeathers!']Cinco... I think they were, er, rhetorical questions.[/quote]

That's okay I answered them all myself then decided that I was to long winded and just left what I posted.[/quote]

I almost answered them and then thought maybe I was the only nut that was taking it literally. :oops:[/quote]
:oops: I actually replied b4 I read further posts. Plus I wanted to respond but I didn't know how to without doing that(my brain is in holiday mode I think)

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Cinco... I think they were, er, rhetorical questions.[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Cinco thank's for answering but HF is corrrect. I don't expect everyone to post answers.

I just wanted people to stop and think about all the things that they do with their dog's. Once they do I'm sure there will be plenty of things that they do that others will think are flat our wrong.

My point is, that is ok.

I know I can be self-righteous at times but for the most part I think we all need to stop (me included).

[quote name='Malamum'][quote name='Horsefeathers!']Cinco... I think they were, er, rhetorical questions.[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Cinco thank's for answering but HF is corrrect. I don't expect everyone to post answers.

I just wanted people to stop and think about all the things that they do with their dog's. Once they do I'm sure there will be plenty of things that they do that others will think are flat our wrong.

My point is, that is ok.

I know I can be self-righteous at times but for the most part I think we all need to stop (me included).[/quote]
Thats exactly why I've only been lurking the heated topics.

I'm not sure if we were supposed to anwser these, but I wanted to, so people could see my perspective on the questions, even if some are hard to admit.
(These are in order)
I don't chain Caeser, I believe that is cruel if done for longer then an hour.
I am just crate training Caeser. I only keep him in the crate for an hour at the very longest, so he can learn that its comfortable in there, and safe.
I do not leave Caeser inside uncrated. This is not a good idea, with my boy. He gets into everything, and even though he is adult in size, he is still a puppy at heart.
This is the hardest to admit. I do have Caeser outside unsupervised, but for much less time. I don't have a choice.
Caeser lives outside, but not 24/7. We're trying to change that.
We have a fenced yard. I believe its ideal to have your dog indoors.
No, I would never have an intact dog. Caeser is altered.
Caeser was rescued from a pound. I have no idea when he was fixed. Most likely before adoption, around 8 weeks.
I have a mutt, and I'm proud of it! I perfer mutts. They are usually rescues, or strays, and they are thankful. They are generally more intelligent, because they have the temperment and skills of more then on breed. They are unique and one-of-a-kind for looks and personality alike.
I hate the "designer dog" idea. What a load of cr@p. :evil:
Raw food is bad for dogs, so no, I would never feed it to Caeser.
I have no really good sercure for Caeser in the car. I'm trying to find a good barrier.

I just use natural collars. No prong, choke, or anything of the like.
Caeser is vaccinated annually.
Caeser isn't a pittie, but if he was, I would not, no.
Caeser raelly doesn't like tennis balls, so not really.
I do not throw sticks for Caeser. Pieces can break off and get caught in his throat.
I don't believe in breeding dogs.
I don't believe in shipping at all. Its dangerous, and scary, not to mention boring for the puppy.
Cropping, docking, and debarking is cruel. Its unnatural. If your dog is not a show dog, its not nesasary(sp?).
Game test? I have no idea what that is. :oops:
I don't walk Caeser as often as some people do, but its cruel not to walk your dog at all.
Caeser graduated Basic Obedience class.
My parents don't understand dogs very well, but do what I ask for him to their limit.
I'm a student as of now, so I'm not away that long.

That's all.

[quote name='scotty_lvr'][quote name='bk_blue']Thank you Malamum. Finally someone with a bit of common sense and a total lack of self-righteousness.[/quote]

Now thats ironic to say the least[/quote]

*edited because I don't stoop so low*

I think you bring up a great point. I, as well, came to this forum to learn what I could about being a good, responsible dog owner. I bought a dog that was "bred to be cute." It was stupid, irresponsible, and I am extremely embarassed about it now. I got very lucky and have a happy, healthy, wonderful dog that I want to take great care of.

Next time, will I do things differently? You bet! I feel like I have learned a lot of great things on this forum and I am able to help others around me to be great owners as well.

I think the fact that people have taken the time to find this forum and ask questions is great. It is more than can be said of the average dog owner. I think we must all see this as an educational forum and some are just ahead of others. I still learn something new everytime I browse the new threads because I am still in Dog Ownership 101. That does not mean that I don't care about my dog, I am just in the process of learning. I think at times we forget that it is a process.

well, I wont answer all the questions, just the ones that apply to me. I dont breed, dont buy from BYB's, but I have nothing against good, reputable breeders. I wish everyone who wanted a dog would adopt one from a shelter or rescue, but in reality that will never happen. I prefer totry to convince people to check out their breeder, see mom and dad, and the conditions at the kennel, before making a decision.

as far as the other stuff...

I have a very large totally fenced in yard, that I can see from my desk and the kitchen. I leave my dogs out there when I am home, because they like to be outside. I work full time, while I'm gone they're in the house. so weekends in the yard are a joy to them. my neighbors all have dogs and they all run the fences together. I take them for walks and to the river for new experiences and running time.

I walk them on harnesses. Free pulls like a dickens.

I treat my dogs like family, but only to a point. They are not allowed to
get uppity with me, to growl, snarl or refuse to release something I want to take away. aint gonna happen. I've been called a "hard-ass" by many people because of that, but I train by pack rules. I firmly believe they are animals, not people in furry coats, and MUST, for everyones safety and welfare (including theirs) be treated as such, and dominated as such.
however, in my defense, I have NEVER been bitten by a dog. mine, or anyone elses....I have never beaten a dog, or even had to consider it, because mine dont step over the lines I have drawn....and yes, they love me.

I dont object to people training their dogs with other methods, I find this one works for me. Mine can sleep on the furniture, because if I say OFF they get off.

I noticed some of the comments to HF, but she does basically the same thing, and has dogs with issues, problems and 9 of them. that is a pack, plain and simple, and need to be controlled with pack rules.

my take.

i know these arent really meant to be answered :lol: but i figure i'd answer them anywayz so people know what i do and dont do..for anyone who wonders

1. Chain your dog [b]yes[/b]
2. Crate your dog [b] yes[/b]
3. Leave your dogs inside uncrated (got to watch out for those electrical cords you know) [b]yes[/b]
4. Have your dogs outside unsupervised [b]yes[/b]
5. Have your dog live outside[b] yes[/b] :(
6. Keep your dog inside at all times due to not having a fenced yard [b]no[/b]
7. Have an intact dog [b]no[/b]
8. Have your dog de-sexed at 8 weeks [b]no but i am not opposed to it[/b]
9. Wait to have your dog de-sexed – say a year old [b]no, 6 months[/b]
10. Have a purebred dog [b]yes[/b]
11. Have a mutt [b]yes[/b]
12. Have a dog that was purposely bred to be a “designer dog” [b]no[/b]
13. Feed the cheapest supermarket dog food [b]no[/b]
14. Feed your dog bones [b]no[/b]
15. Feed your dog raw food [b]no[/b]
16. Let your dog ride in the back of a Ute [b]no[/b]
17. Let your dog ride in the front seat of the car [b]yes[/b]
18. Let your dog ride in the car unsecured [b]yes[/b]
19. Use a prong collar [b]yes on Eli[/b]
20. Use a head halter [b]no[/b]
21. Use a choke chain [b]no[/b]
22. Use an e-collar [b] no[/b]
23. Vaccinate your dog every year [b]no[/b]
24. Don’t vaccinate your dog every year [b]yup[/b]
25. Let you Pit bull play in dog parks[b]no[/b]
26. Let your dog play with tennis balls [b]yes[/b]
27. Throw sticks for your dogs to catch [b]no[/b]
28. Breed your dog [b]no[/b]
29. Breed your dog under a certain age [b]no[/b]
30. Breed your dog over a certain age [b]no[/b]
31. Breed your dog a certain number of times [b] no[/b]
32. Breed your dog on consecutive heats [b]no[/b]
33. Ship puppies long distances [b]no[/b]
34. Crop your dogs ears [b]no[/b]
35. Dock your dogs tail [b]no[/b]
36. Believe in having dogs de-barked [b]no[/b]
37. Game test your dogs [b]no[/b]
38. Never take your dog for a walk [b]mine go on daily walks[/b]
39. Never take your dog to any sort of formal obedience class [b]i dont[/b]
40. Have parents that don’t understand much about dogs and do everything contrary to what you try and do. [b]i do[/b]
41. Go out to work and leave your dog at home alone without coming home at lunch to check on them. [b]no[/b]

i have strong views on alot of stuff but for some things i dont expect people to agree with me and i accept it.
like with outside dogs, i dont like having my outside but i dont have a choice. i do have a problem with those who have outside dogs like my neighbor and they neglect them. but i dont have a problem with those who have outside dogs but those dogs are still part of the family and are well cared for and loved.

mainly i can see others views unless it comes to harming a dog like game testing or abuse. or if it comes to breeding..i dont see a byb's point of view because back yard breeders are one of the biggest(if not the biggest) problems of overpopulation, now i do respect responsible breeders