Dogomania

Is Growling a bad thing?

Crystal

Ok so here is what happened. Yesterday my 14 year old brother in law, Timothy, was skateboarding past our house. Toby was on the front porch. So Timothy decides to come in the yard, big nono. Toby has only seen him twice, when he was much smaller. So Toby stands right in front of the door and barks. The closer Timothy gets the more upset Toby is. I mean tail straight down, hair standing up, and by now he is growling. I was sitting by the door watching him. Being Toby prefers Brad, hubby, over me I yelled at Brad and told him to go out there before his brother got bitten.Well Brad went out and this only increased the growling. With each step Timothy took the growling got deeper and deeper. He finally just stopped in the yard and talked a minute then left. Before he left Toby managed to wee himself.

Brad came in and said "I don't know what is wrong with that dog, he is growling and pissing all over himself." We both had a good laugh.

Anywho, Toby doesn't usually do this. He growls at the other dogs, but only when he is on the chain. If he is running and playing with them he is fine. People walk up and down the road all the time and I have never heard him growl at any of them. Now, I will say Timothy can be a little pain 99% of the time. But all he was doing was walking into the yard. Maybe it was the skateboard??? I have no idea. This totally blew me away. So I don't know what to think. He was fine after Timothy left. Maybe he just doesn't like him. They say dogs can sense things about people, maybe? I don't know. I was just wondering if you guys had any idea why he may have decided to growl at Timothy.

Timothy said last night, "I don't like your dog." Brad said "good, because he don't like you." He probably won't be coming around alone anymore. It's so odd because my mom and my sister had just been here and Toby just greeted them with a happy tail. He has seen them a few more times though. He like my brother too. Hmm, maybe we should just disown the brother in law. :lol:

Any thoughts on what was going on in Toby's head?

Toby's growling was him saying, "I'm afraid of you, please don't come closer". By growling and putting on a show he was trying to warn off Timothy because he was afraid of him. That's also why he peed.

Many people see growling as being big and tough, but the reality is, confident dogs don't growl.

Toby sounds pretty nervy and probably has a potential for fear biting if put in a situation that makes him uncomfortable. Now that you know this about him, you should be extra diligent about socializing Toby and making sure he isn't pushed beyond his comfort zone in an uncontrolled situation.

[quote name='kendalyn']Toby's growling was him saying, "I'm afraid of you, please don't come closer". By growling and putting on a show he was trying to warn off Timothy because he was afraid of him. That's also why he peed.

Many people see growling as being big and tough, but the reality is, confident dogs don't growl.

Toby sounds pretty nervy and probably has a potential for fear biting if put in a situation that makes him uncomfortable. Now that you know this about him, you should be extra diligent about socializing Toby and making sure he isn't pushed beyond his comfort zone in an uncontrolled situation.[/quote]

Kendalyn said it pretty well. A lot of dogs are afraid of skateboards. It sounds like he was scared and trying to act tough to scare away what was frightening him.

He sounds like a sharp dog, which could lead to problems in the future if he's ever put in a situation that frightens him. He needs major socialization NOW, so he learns to be comfortable in every situation. Take him to pet stores, walk down the streets and have lots of people pet him. Especially people who look intimidating, Large men, people in wheelchairs or with canes, children rollerblading and skateboarding. He needs to know that he dosn't have to defend himself.

One thing I didn't understand was

[quote]Brad came in and said "I don't know what is wrong with that dog, he is growling and p*** all over himself." We both had a good laugh.[/quote]

How is your dog growling at a child (even one with a threatening object) funny? Also he urinated beause he was scared. I don't see how your dog being scared out of his wits almost to the point of biting is funny. :-?

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']How is your dog growling at a child (even one with a threatening object) funny? Also he urinated beause he was scared. I don't see how your dog being scared out of his wits almost to the point of biting is funny.[/quote]
I agree.

[quote name='Lucky Chaos'][quote name='kendalyn']

Toby sounds pretty nervy and probably has a potential for fear biting if put in a situation that makes him uncomfortable. Now that you know this about him, you should be extra diligent about socializing Toby and making sure he isn't pushed beyond his comfort zone in an uncontrolled situation.[/quote]

Kendalyn said it pretty well. A lot of dogs are afraid of skateboards. It sounds like he was scared and trying to act tough to scare away what was frightening him.

He sounds like a sharp dog, which could lead to problems in the future if he's ever put in a situation that frightens him. He needs major socialization NOW, so he learns to be comfortable in every situation. Take him to pet stores, walk down the streets and have lots of people pet him. Especially people who look intimidating, Large men, people in wheelchairs or with canes, children rollerblading and skateboarding. He needs to know that he dosn't have to defend himself.

One thing I didn't understand was

[quote]Brad came in and said "I don't know what is wrong with that dog, he is growling and p*** all over himself." We both had a good laugh.[/quote]

How is your dog growling at a child (even one with a threatening object) funny? Also he urinated beause he was scared. I don't see how your dog being scared out of his wits almost to the point of biting is funny. :-?[/quote]
I think she was just talking about the peeing on himself and not the other part. I'm not taking sides infact i'm leaving this thread just saying that.

I agree with Kendalyn except for one thing. confident dogs WILL growl to warn people off...its the warning before the bite/attack. you got a chance to go, do it or I will hurt you if you dont.

but peeing himself is fear growling. my hound used to fear growl, then poop....

it could have been the skateboard. some dogs hate them. how is he around Tim without the skateboard? that would be the deciding issue.
if he's ok without the skateboard, then Tim needs to leave it at home or outside the gate when he visits, and your pup needs desensitizing to
skateboards in general.

doog luck

We laughed at the peeing thing. We just don't get it, we've never ever seen this before or even heard of it. We thought dogs growled because they were tough, not because they were scared. Undereducated on that one. Sorry if I offended anyone, but I didn't realize why he does this. I do know what is going on now, poor Toby. Poor Toby peed right by the front door and then I stepped in it, not to mention Timothy was pretty freaked out, which made it funny too. You would have to know Timothy, BRAT. So it wasn't really Toby we were laughing at, it was the pee, but still maybe it wasn't all that funny. I'll have to go tell Toby I'm sorry and I understand now.

Maybe we should just get a skateboard and let Toby check it out and see if that helps. Toby sees all kinds of people everyday. The lady across the street is in a wheelchair and he just ignores that and walks on by. The kids ride bikes and even a golf cart up and down the road and we have taken him out to see those too. Maybe it was just the skateboard. I'll get Timothy to let me borrow one and introduce it to Toby. I'll let him check it out when he is ready. Thanks guys, I bet it was the skateboard that scared him, probably the first time he saw one.

[quote name='Jessashelony'][quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh'][quote]my hound used to fear growl, then poop.... [/quote]
For a few seconds there, I thought "hound" was "husband" and boy was I confused.. :lol:[/quote]

Holy COW... I saw the SAME thing... I was like :o[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will NOT eat by the computer.....I will NOT eat by the computer...

8)

[quote]Maybe we should just get a skateboard and let Toby check it out and see if that helps. Toby sees all kinds of people everyday. The lady across the street is in a wheelchair and he just ignores that and walks on by. The kids ride bikes and even a golf cart up and down the road and we have taken him out to see those too. Maybe it was just the skateboard. I'll get Timothy to let me borrow one and introduce it to Toby. I'll let him check it out when he is ready. Thanks guys, I bet it was the skateboard that scared him, probably the first time he saw one.[/quote]

This is a good idea. :) You might also want to get onto the skateboard and show him how it all works. :lol: Treats would help a long way too.

My dog Cosmic sometimes reacts the same way to "strange" objects. He has even barked/growled at TREE STUMPS to warn them away. :lol: Usually, all I need to do is to approach the object casually first. ;) I'll then call him to me for a very matter-of-fact "show and tell". Cosmic will then act all nonchalent, and that's that, problem solved. :roll:

:lol: yeah I can see me on the skateboard. ROFLMAO. That would be good. Poor Toby would be more scared after I nearly kill myself on that thing. Me and skateboard are a big no-no. I'll leave that one up to hubby. I guess we will see if he gets over his fear of skateboards. What an odd thing to be scared of. Why not bikes, cars, golf carts? Who knows? Thanks :wink:

I agree that it was absolutely the skateboard. It wouldn't have even matter if the kid wasn't even holding the skateboard just the fact that he saw him riding around on one scared him enough that seeing him come up to him after that was enough to make him pee himself. Now there is a chance that he will associate your brother in law with fear. That is one reason why I would not allow the dog to be alone on the front porch. Your really don't know who is going to try to approach and it could be very dangerous.

When my dogs are young and haven't experience a wide variety of things that they are likely to see on a walk and other situation in life I don't allow them to be alone at all unless safely crated. It's too easy for them to get the wrong idea about experiences that lead to problems later on. I like to be there so they can see my confidence in the situation so they can get their clues about what is scary and what isn't.

[quote name='kendalyn']

[/quote]

I cannot disagree more. Alpha dogs always give a warning growl to stave off a fight, and guardian-type dogs growl to warn off threats (perceived or real) to their charges.

A lot of dogs hate skateboards, though, and things that roll in general.

Also he is most likely trying out guarding behavior, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but you want him to guard out of confidence and protection of his pack, not fear.

And again, he is a darling little bugger!
[/i]