Dogomania

Denver Pit bull round up begins

[quote name='K']Its Germany all over again....wait until they are dragging the dogs forcibly from the arms of screaming ,crying children....wait until the officers are slapping the childrens hands off the dogs collars...wait until 12 rounds of ammo are unloaded into your dog in your driveway and the dog is left there for you to "clean up".....these things and more will occur if this does not stop now.... :([/quote]
My feelings exactly.........

I can't believe that. I know we couldn't stop the BSL here but damn at least the dogs were allowed to stay in their homes. What the hell is wrong with a speuter order and a ban on bringing anymore pits into Denver. That is just shit.

[quote]"I've been called everything in the book," she said as she got in the van and drove away. "I just try and tell them I'm just doing my job."[/quote]
I am quite familiar with desperately needing to keep your job but that is one task I would be seriously tempted to refuse even if it put my job in peril.

It is just horrid. At the very least they should have a grandfather clause.

I am ashamed to be a Coloradan today but glad I live far from Denver. The state had struck down the ban but a judge ruled that the it was the city's decision.

As for the lady who was hiding her dog, while I feel awful for her it also pi$$es me off that she had been letting it run loose earlier. That kind of irresponsibility contributed to this sick over-reactionary law to begin with.

Much as I feel for these people losing their dogs (and the dogs losing their homes), WHY would they keep their dogs in what they knew to be a perilous situation? If there were no safe way/place for me to keep my dogs in case of BSL, they would be out of there, either with me or some trusted person I knew could care for them until other arrangements could be made. It was these peoples' job to keep their dogs safe, and if not, their responsiblity to step up and at least give the dogs a decent end, not let some stranger come and haul them off to die in a shelter. I can understand that they might hope that if they played their cards right, they could hide them and no one would ever know, but is it worth their dog's life? Is it right that they might have had to lose their pet in order to keep them safe? No. But as much as they are victims, their dogs are even more so, because their owners did not take the actions needed to protect them.

I feel bad for all involved, but the sad truth is that this is an OLD law. These people knew this day was coming. Their dogs have been illegal in Denver since 1989. It's sad for the dogs that people put them in this very avoidable situation. :(

But do they have the right to go into peoples homes & remove a beloved pet from their happy home just because of the breed. What are they doing going door to door to find out if you have a pit/pit mix? I find it so stupid & utterly disgusteing. It's my dog, in my home get out..

Actually, no. Denver never reversed the ruling made in 1989. It was temporarily suspended in April of 2004 and then put back into place until December of 2004 when the ban stopped being enforced.

Does this sound like a pit bull friendly environment to you?

This ban was only "unenforceable" for less than 6 months. How many pit bulls in Denver do you think arrived there only within that time frame?

I'm not supporting the forceable removal of dogs from people's homes, but there is an excellent chance MOST of these people should have been aware that their dogs were illegal. That is what bothers me.

If they did know it was coming it is sort of irresponsible for them not to do something to try to save their dogs. I would certainly give mine up and drive it half way across the country to an available rescue group if I had too rather than let the AC have it to put down.

I think that actually points out how ineffectual anti breed legislature is. Most anti-Pit Bull laws arise in the hopes to stop to dog fighting, although you get the occaisional crack pot lobbying for these laws who think Pit Bulls are born man-eaters. People will still have the dogs all the some, especially those involved in dog-fighting; same as our gun laws that don't keep the wrong people from illegally owning/carrying firearms.

And if dog fighters eventually find it too difficult to keep Pit Bulls they'll just aquire and start fighting some other type of dog. I'm not totally against BSL as long as it's done responsibley, fairly, and effectively. I wonder what sort of laws the US has to regulate certain potentially dangerous dog breeds from being imported. I know the UK has such laws, aren't both the Fila Brasilerio and the Tosa Inu illegal there?

Anyway, my final words about the folks who have (had) Pit Bulls there in Denver and other similar places: The more we as a society lie down and passively take every stupid, idiotic, and ignorant law and ruling that gets thrown our way, the more more stupid legislature we're gonna get.