Dogomania

Dog Bit the Baby. Now What?

pzoo9

Friday evening, our 11 month old was crawling on the floor near our family dog (a 45lb retriever mix) when the dog turned around and gave him a warning bite. I was no more than 5 feet away from the baby when this happended. Our baby did not even touch the dog when he struck and traditionally the dog has moved whenever he has gotten too close or he didn't want to play. The dog was not surprised as I watched him and called his name to make sure he saw the baby coming. Plus the baby makes a lot of noise when he was on the move.

This is a pet that has been through several obedience classes and passed with flying colors, certified to be an AKC Therapy Dog and has always been very tolerant of children other animals,etc. He had knee surgery about 16 weeks ago and has been in recovery without any problems and has been eager to play with the baby. I called the veterinarian to bring the dog in and have him checked out and the doctor's response was "if he isn't limping or showing signs of pain, she didn't see the point." Needless to say, I am going to try to get him in to see another doctor.

All that being said, and knowing I have to keep a closer eye on our child around the dog and there may be an underlying pain problem, I can't forgive the dog. I feel like the bond of trust is gone. He has been getting the silent treatment from me for the last day or two. I need help mending our relationship. I can't even look at him right now.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Im going to tick a lot of people off but.....
There is NO excuse for a dog to put its mouth on a human, especially a baby/child. Put the dog down, or find a home for him where there are no children.
Your childs life and safety are way too important to keep a dog around who will probably bite again.

I think the dog needs to find another home without children. I don't know about putting him down though, not all dogs have the solid temperaments from breeding like APBT's. :wink: But a dog that bites for no reason, if I'm understanding right should not be trusted around a child again.

Being your dog had surgery, he may still not feel perfect. Dogs are more prone to lash out when injured or getting over an injury. I'd be gating him in another part of the house to ensure no other incidents or rehome him to a childless and understanding home. I know you love this dog and its a hard descion, but your baby should take presidence. If the two can not co-habitate,something else needs to be done. You need not feel like you are letting your dog down. You need to ensure your baby, that he will be safe and not grow up afraid of dogs too.

Maybe he felt the baby was too close to the hurt knee...when my kids got to close to Star's back which was hurt at the time she used to grab my sons arm with her mouth and move it...scared the poo out of me i thought she just bit my baby...and then when i got to him no blood and i noticed that she was just stopping him from touching her sores...i hope that is it and the baby is not hurt...I know it is a hard decision whatever you decided i wish you luck on your choice

You know the dog best and you know how much/little damage was done. You are the best qualified to make this difficult choice. I would see another vet, probably about the recovery and to check thyroid levels. Perhaps consult a behaviourist. In the end though it may just come down to your instinct. You can likely find a new home for your dog easily if you need to using petfinder or a local adoption/foster group. It sounds like you have a great dog that you have done everything right with. I hope you can work it out but if not you can certainly rehome your dog with a clear conscience. Good for you for all the work you've done up to know.

I agree with what has been said thus far. You know your pooch the best out of everyone. It comes down to what YOU think. Does your dog usually get nippy or was this just straight out of the blue? Maybe we could make a better decision if you'd give us a teeny bit more detail. If the bite drew blood and things like that...

it is never a good idea to leave a baby on the floor near a dog, any dog, for just this reason. however, there is a lot missing to this story

did your dog actually bite, or mouth to warn off? break skin, or grab the babies arm?

what you decide depends a lot on the answers to these questions...if the dog recently had surgery he may still be in pain. dog dont show pain the way people do, they tend to hide it because their wolf ancestry would get them potentially booted out of the pack for it, depending on rank and position. and how bad the injury was, or if it was intefering with the pack duties, etc...anyway, what actually happened?

if it was a mouthing warning, You need to keep the dog and the baby seperate, and take the dog to a vet that will check it for possible pain or other after-affects of the surgery. they do respond badly when in pain.

if it was an all-out bite, then I'm sorry but the dog needs to be rehomed.
you cant put your child at risk, at least in my opinion. it comes down to what really happened, and what you want to do about it.

I am sorry this happened.

Two points to clarify. I am sorry they were not clear.

# 1 My dog is not nippy, as I mentioned he was approved for use as a therapy dog by a certified trainer for Therapy Dogs International. This isn't a case of "Duh, I have a nice dog, so I take it to nursing homes and schools." He was selected, trained and tested. It does not mean he will never bite, but he is not pre-disposed to it.

#2 By warning bite I meant no blood. It was a "punch" like a snake. The skin was slightly red, but no blood. It did not bruise.

The consesus seems to be get rid of the dog. He will probably need put down. Thanks for your help though.

The only other way is to make sure they are never alone together. If you can do that, thats great. I hope you can work it out. I do have a nippy dog. Had I had very small children I would have had to rehome her. If anyone would take her. She can pack a whollop. I chose to work with her because my boys are older and know better to mess with her.

Very tough decision :( . We rehomed our English Bulldog that we had for 5 yrs after he snapped at me one day and broke the skin on one of my nailbeds...it bled lots and half my nail fell off after a few weeks. I felt responsible b/c I was fussing at him and reaching under an end table to pull him out. He used to hide under things when we would try to get him into his "area" (kitchen and hallway) of the house so we could go out. My son was around 18 months at the time. We hashed it out and decided that we couldn't live with ourselves if he ever bit my son that way. It was difficult and took us a few months to find him a home, but it had to be done.

I wish you the best in making your decision....

wow :o

i cant believe people are so quick so say kill the dog or get rid of the dog.

i mean god forbid anyone think about the pain the dog is probably still in from knee surgery, dogs dont always show the pain they are in when they are in it.

or that the dog is just not comfortable with the baby crawling around it and making all those weird noises that babies make.

or god forbid anyone suggest taking the dog to a behaviourist and seeing what they have to say..

just because the dog is a certified therapy dog obviously doesnt make the dog 100% perfect.

and god forbid the dog be tested for any and all health problems like thyroid that can make a dog act in this un-normal way.

i truly hate when people dont think about everything that can make a dog act this way and they just automatically say get rid of the dog or kill it. :evil:

when i get a dog, i make a comitment to that dog FOR LIFE, meaning that i will do anything and everything in my power when I come to a problem with my dog(like if my dog was ever to bit someone).

obviously the babies safety is something that should be thought about at all times too, but keeping a baby and a dog apart isnt all that hard..baby in one room..dog in the other...

I have to say that I agree with AllAmericanPup - I am shocked that so many said to put the dog down or rehome it as the *first* option.

:huh:

Why not take him to a doctor to check for physical problems? I know I get b*tchy when I'm in pain (and so do most people I know)...wouldn't it make sense for a dog to get b*tchy when they're in pain?

If there is nothing wrong with him physically, wouldn't you take the time to consult a behaviorist and/or a trainer? If you have had the dog for 2 years and the baby is 11 months old...the dog probably has some pack ranking issues with the baby that may be resolved through a trainer or behaviorist.

Of course - I completely understand that your human child comes first. I'm sure you are already keeping the baby & dog separated as someone else suggested. That being said, isn't your dog part of your family? Has he ever forgiven you when you have made a mistake with him?

Doesn't your dog deserve at least a chance to prove himself?

If all else fails, please call a Labrador or all-breed rescue. There are homes out there without children (if that is his issue). Euthanasia does not have to be your first option.

I have to agree with All American and Isailor. If I were to re-home my dog when it snapped or bit someone we would have had to get rid of him almost imidiatly when he had gotten him.

From what you say it sounds like your dog was a stable well behaved dog before he had knee surgery. He is probably still in pain and you should definitly see a vet and have him checked out.

I'm just wondering if maybe your child grabbed the dogs tail or touched his knee before and your dog thought that your daugter was going to do it again.

I'd advise you to keep your dog and child apart at all times untill you can figure out if this is a medical or behaviour problem. Please don't kill your dog just because he was being a dog.

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']i mean god forbid anyone think about the pain the dog is probably still in from knee surgery, dogs dont always show the pain they are in when they are in it.[/quote]
Doesn't fly with me. The dog had ample time to get up and move. He was not backed into a corner.

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']or that the dog is just not comfortable with the baby crawling around it and making all those weird noises that babies make. [/quote]
This dog has lived with the baby for a while and has been fine with it. And again, the dog could have got up and moved. He didn't choose to do that.

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']or god forbid anyone suggest taking the dog to a behaviourist and seeing what they have to say.. [/quote]
Maybe would be a good idea, but than you would have to allow another interaction between the kid and dog. If the first bite was a warning bite, what's the next one going to be?

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']just because the dog is a certified therapy dog obviously doesnt make the dog 100% perfect.[/quote]
Well no, but I'd like to think that a therapy dog is not just going to haul off and bite a known member of it's family.

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']and god forbid the dog be tested for any and all health problems like thyroid that can make a dog act in this un-normal way.[/quote]
Even with a thyroid condition, I would still at least rehome the dog (assuming you could find one). It doesn't really matter to me why the dog is unstable. Mediciation would help, but you would never be able to fully trust the dog around the child again.

The original poster was doing nothing wrong in this situation. She's trained her dog and was supervising the child and dog interaction. She even warned the dog that the baby was coming. What else could she have done to prevent this?

If you decide to find this dog a new home, be sure it is not around kids and is not doing therapy work any longer.

Guest Anonymous

I am not an animal behaviorist, but what you describe sounds a lot like what adult dogs do to adolescent dogs to correct them.

There is typically no teeth, just a little punch with the nose type thing. I have seen it a million times. This probably is a result of the fact that your dog recently had surgery. Surgery puts dogs on edge for a while, regardless of whether they are in pain or not. Can you imagine the feeling of coming out of anesthesia and not understanding what the heck just happened or why your leg hurt? I might be a little edgy too.

If your dog has been tested and approved for therapy training, this is not an aggressive or shy-sharp dog. How old is the dog? If it is old, its eyesight or hearing may be going.

I think that you should go to a animal behaviorist, but I think that they will tell you this:

It was not an aggressive gesture, it was a parental type correction. Humans simply interpret this a little different than a pup would. That being said, it is NOT ok for your dog to do this because your baby is not a pup and will not react the way a pup would.

DO NOT SEPERATE THE DOG AND THE CHILD. This will only mask the problem and put it off until later. You need to supervise them very carefully. The only time that they should be seperated is when you cannot supervise them. You know your dog. You should be able to recognize when it is getting to that point where it may try to "warn" your child. When you see it getting ready to happen, say firmly "NO" and then call your dog to you. Pet it for a minute and soothe him. Then let them go back to playing.

If your dog does snap again, let it know that it screwed up big time. Do not strike the dog but stand REALLY tall, puff your chest out, and let the hailstorm of "NO, NO, NO" rain down. Your dog should have its tail tucked and should not be looking at you before you are finished. At that point, pick up your child and walk away. Do not pay attention to your dog for a few minutes. If it comes up to you, turn your back. By doing this, you are divorcing it from your pack. The dog will soon realize that the baby is higher in the pack than your dog is and learn to deal with it.

Also, when you feel comfortable doing it, I would make the dog sleep in the same room as the child. I am assuming that the crib is high enough that the dog cannot get in and the child cannot get out. This will get the dog used to the smells, noises, etc of the child. The fact that these things are all in the dogs den will almost make these noises, etc. a comforting thing.

This is just my opinion. If you truely do not feel comfortable with the dog anymore, try to find a GOOD home for it. Remember, this dog has been your friend for a long time. You owe it the time it takes to find a loving home.

Good Luck,
Joseph

I must say I feel horrible for you. Once a dog breaks that trust it is always in the back of your mind.

Once I was giving McKenzie a bath. I was like 8 months pregnant at the time. She always loved a bath and never acted funny, except for this time. It was about 3 weeks after all the pups were gone. She had her head down and looked very unhappy. I was scared to death. I loved that dog with all my heart, she was my baby. I was never scared of her once, until then. I was so scared by the way she was acting I actually had my husband come in and stand beside me until I was done with her bath. She was very freaked out that day and I have no idea why. My husband was even worried. She never did anything to me, but you could tell she was freaked out. I never gave her another bath after that. Then we rehomed her.

She was to much dog for a baby. Maybe you have the same problem. It does sound like the dog may be having rank issues with the baby. You must make sure the dog knows the baby is above him in the pack.

NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER LEAVE THAT DOG ALONE NEAR THAT BABY. Don't run out to check the mail box, don't just run to the bathroom, or grab yourself a snack while they are left alone. You may live to regret that. The dog doesn't have it out for the baby or anything, babies and small kids scare the crap out of dogs. This is why we got a puppy, to get him used to the kids from the start.

I don't agree with automatically putting the dog down. I mean Geez, one day the baby is gonna bite you, are you gonna have the baby put down. NO, and you wouldn't rehome the baby either. Now, don't get me wrong I know there is a difference in babies and dogs, but when you get the dog it is like a child. I know sometimes dogs need to be where there isn't kids and you couldn't have forseen this. There are other ways. Don't kill that poor animal. The dog doesn't understand! Help him understand, teach him just like you would your child!

First and foremost, [b]please[/b] do not put that dog down. I hope we're not too late.

Secondly, I'm not the greatest dog interpretor in the world so I can't really help, but if I were in your position, and this were my [i]human baby[/i] that were at risk, I'd rehome the dog [b]after[/b] trying to find a solution. A lot of the members here have provided a lot of answers and solutions so I won't repeat them here, I just want to tell you to please please PLEASE not put the poor dog down. I'm sure he'll make another family as happy as he did yours! :D Just without kids this time.. and believe me a LOT of people are going to be willing to adopt/foster this dog, especially since he's already grown and obedience trained. People without kids who don't really want to train a puppy from scratch...etc.

Please please update us.. I won't be able to stop thinking about that dog!

i agree with kendalyn.
the most likely scenario is that your dog is feeling a little wonky and vulnerable after his surgery.
However, the warning bite you described is a move used on other dogs. It seems to me like your dog sees your kid as part of his litter, equal to or lower than himself in the hierarchy. You may be able to retrain him, you may not. You may be able to train the kid, you may not.
I think you should consult a behaviorist on this, preferably one that will come to your home and has experience with your breed.
Barring that, I think you should re home him.
Good luck. It's hard, I have been through it. We are here for you to support you! Please contact a professional as soon as you can.

I was really disappointed with all the "Get rid of the dog" responses and reacted a little too harshly. The dog is not dead and if it comes to that we will rehome him. We have invested too much time, energy and love in the dog to end his life. He is only 5 years old, if that. It is just hard imagining finding someone who would want a mature, active male dog with bad knees that would love him as much as we do. Tall order.

Anyway, first things first. I am having the doctor check the dog when she gets back in town to make sure there is nothing physically wrong with him. His knee surgery was very extensive and the dr thought he might need a second, but it is too early to tell. So pain is a factor here.

As for consulting a behaviorist, the practice I take my dog tos practice with 6 Drs. and maybe they can make a reference. I did contact a dog trainer/dog rescuer who has an infant and knows Tristan(the dog) very well and discussed the issue with her and she agreed getting Tristan checked out is the first order of business.

The dog has been allowed to sniff the baby, but there is definitely n mutual floor time together until he is checked out. We are planning on more outside time for him to de-stress. He did not growl a warning, which is part of the problem. No behaviorist can say for certain, no matter how good and experienced they are, that this will never happen again.

So until the next day after Tristan is checked out, I will let you know what happens. In case anyone cares, my child is sitting here eating the packaging of my "AKC SAfely with Dogs" video. Cruel irony.

Also whoever said "How hard is it to keep the baby and the dog apart?" apparently has never had a toddler or a live dog. Not helpful at all just :evil: Trolls keep out.

[quote name='pzoo9']No behaviorist can say for certain, no matter how good and experienced they are, that this will never happen again. [/quote]

You hit the nail on the head here, and unfortunately this is the crux of the matter.
You are doing all the right things. This is your family and your pet, and ultimately, you will make the decision that is right for you. Again, good luck!