Dogomania

Bark collar?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I feel bad considering getting a bark collar. but Stryker is soooo badd with his barking. I've tired the firm loud NO and he still barks, then i tried bitter apple but he runs away from me( which we are working on he NEVER comes to me and runs awy when i try to get him ) i've treid the pennies in the can.. it doesn't work.. so i thought about getting a bark control for hte house, but then that would get zoey also and i like her to bark when the door bell rings so then i would have to get a collar and just correct Stryker.. so i found one for 34.99 at petsmart and i'm going to go pick it up tonight and put it on stryker cuse he barks non stop for no reaosn.......

any ideas on the bark collar

I use the citronella anti-bark collar on Maya and it works great! I blow into it before I put it on her so it sprays citronella in the air, so that she knows that it's working.

Once in a great while when there's a loose dog outside our yard, she won't be able to help herself, and she'll bark, but that doesn't happen very often. Then she'll come inside with her lovely citronella perfume, and she rolls around trying to get it off. LOL

She even wags her tail when I get her citronella bark collar and harness out because she knows she gets to go outside to play!

Good luck with Stryker!

I guess that's why they call them yappy dogs... :lol:

Seriously though, Poms generally bark a lot. Some breeds are just bigger barkers than others. Didn't you find this out when you did research on the breed? It just doesn't make much sense to me to go out and get a dog known for barking and then complain when it barks a lot. :-?

If you absolutely have to do something like a corrective collar, I would go with the citronella over the shock collar.

Wait, does the citronella go off on it's own when the dog barks? If so, I wouldn't use it.

I think all dogs should get to bark at least once or twice. They're dogs! That's what they do. I was thinking the citronella collar was triggered by a remote or something.

What if another dog is barking near your dog? Does it still go off and punish yours?

The citronella goes off when the dog barks. Maya has found out that she can do a quiet "woo" or low growlies and it won't go off, but barking sets it off. And a few times Jackie has barked at Maya, and they both ended up getting sprayed!

I don't know how well it would work inside, especially if everyone is barking. I work until midnight, and I don't want my dogs barking at 12:30 in the morning, so I only put the citronella collar on Maya at night. I let her be a dog and bark during the day.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='kendalyn']I guess that's why they call them yappy dogs... :lol:

Seriously though, Poms generally bark a lot. Some breeds are just bigger barkers than others. Didn't you find this out when you did research on the breed? It just doesn't make much sense to me to go out and get a dog known for barking and then complain when it barks a lot. :-?

If you absolutely have to do something like a corrective collar, I would go with the citronella over the shock collar.[/quote]

YES i knew that they are barkers.. I've had poms before. my mom's pom doesn't bark boonie only barked once in a great while. i've done my research but stryker is just a really barky dog and it's not ok i've tried to train him not to bark as i've done with all my dogs, they only bark when the door bell rings or someone comes in the house..
you know what .. nevermind i'm not even going to post.. i shoudl have known this would happen from you. you seem to be negative twords everything i post on here...

anyways thanks for the advice on the citronella collar Jackie! i'll have to check it out tomorrow at petsmart!! :D

Here's a picture of the citronella collar in use (picture is from Petsmart site)

[img]http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/standard/z/z301/z301789_14f73.jpg[/img]

Holy Moly Rocky! I just noticed that they're going for $94.99 at Petsmart! It's been a while since I bought mine, but I was sure it was in the $30-$40 range! Yikes!

[quote name='kendalyn']I guess that's why they call them yappy dogs... :lol:

If you absolutely have to do something like a corrective collar, I would go with the citronella over the shock collar.[/quote]

Even if a breed is generally known for being one way or another, when you adopt a dog, you're getting someone else's bad training or no training. Maya is part Husky, which are known for being roamers and for being vocal, and after I adopted her, found out that she's a fence jumper. Sure, I don't like the fact that she's a fence jumper and barker, but I figured out how to work around her problem (cable her when she's in the back yard and citronella collar at night).

Maybe if DAL had gotten Stryker as a puppy she wouldn't be a barker, but that's not how he came into her life. So she just has to work with what she has now.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='JackieMaya']
Maybe if DAL had gotten Stryker as a puppy she wouldn't be a barker, but that's not how he came into her life. So she just has to work with what she has now.[/quote]

Very well said jackie.. if i had him from puppy hood he would not be a barker.. the same reason cody and zoey are not barkers. i've had then since zoey was 8 weeks and cody was 14 weeks

[quote name='DeafAussieLover']i've done my research but stryker is just a really barky dog and it's not ok i've tried to train him not to bark as i've done with all my dogs, they only bark when the door bell rings or someone comes in the house.. [/quote]

You say that he is a really barky dog and it's not ok. I would think that after doing research you would have known you could be getting a really barky dog. Especially since you got him from a rescue as an adult.

You haven't had Stryker that long and you've posted before that he's difficult to train. So maybe it will just take longer. I would keep up with his training on the no bark thing. At least so you can wean him off the collar. :)

I'm not just being negative. You did ask for thoughts.

[quote name='tx248']Also i have little ones is the spray bad for the kids i have my maltese who is a bit of a yipper and i was looking with DAL but my concern on the spray was the kids? How harmful?[/quote]

If the kids are close to his level, I would be worried that they'd get the citronella spray in their eyes.

[quote name='DeafAussieLover'] i tried bitter apple but he runs away from me( which we are working on he NEVER comes to me and runs awy when i try to get him )[/quote]

This is more on the running away part, but it could help with the barking as well......

Have you done umbillical training with him? That might help out.

We are getting a new foster in who is 5 -6 months old and we are told he is hell on wheels. I plan on tying the little guy to me!

Just a suggestion!

I dunno... come to think of it, I can't think of any of my Pom clients that are barkers. I'm not disputing whether or not they're a barky breed since I've never researched them in consideration for ownership. I've just never known a barky one, personally, and they're pretty popular around here. *shrug*

Guest Anonymous

OB Girl- I'm doing the leash thing right now. I have him attached to Zoeys 6' leash and its attached to my hip at all times.. I remeberd about that last night, as that's how i trained Cody to stay so close to me so i could always get his attention.. I'll let you know how it goes.. this way when he does bark and i just get ahold of hte leash and try the bitter apple ;)

good timing on this question DAL, I jsut heard about them from a trainer who gave a talk at the HS last week and wanted to learn more about them (the citronella collars) Ive been having a hard time with Baileys barking also and all the methods Ive tried just arent helping. The bitter apple definetely has an effect, but I feel I jsut cant be consistent or fast enough to really work, thats why I liked the idea of this collar........
however that $94 seems like ALOT for it :o thats a bit out of my budget right now.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='scotty_lvr']My mom has a pom that is barky....but only when their are other ppl in her house. She isn't the most socialized dog. My mom got her from the HS though and she was mistreated and malnurished so obviously she connected with my mom and her hubby! But she doesn't bark unless someone else comes to the house.

For my critters barking I just get out the spray bottle and everyone shuts up immediately!! Works like a charm!

Good luck in curbing that [color=indigo][b]excessive[/b][/color] barking Nay.

Excessive being the operative word here! Just because a breed has characteristics for a certain action doesn't mean it should be catered to. My scotties have the urge to hunt. So I guess I shouldn't keep them in a fenced yard were they can't do as they are naturaly breed to do?? That logic doesn't make a dam bit of sense![/quote]

WHY didn't I think of that.. the lady that i got him from used the spray bottle... and as soon as she got it they all shut up.. BUT we did try that with zoey when she was little and it caused her to scared of water. it took us for ever to get her to play in the water and the water from the hose.. i'll have to try to spray bottle for Stryker... lol and yes it is exsessive.. lol and you SHOULD keep them int he fence.. lol dont want them killing a cat.. ( jk lol )

Some old neighbors of mine had poms. They bark constantly. All 6 of them. :roll: Maybe it's just the ones around here but whenever I see one in a petstore or at the park, they're usually barking. I don't think I've ever met a quiet one!
[quote name='Scotty_lvr'] My scotties have the urge to hunt. So I guess I shouldn't keep them in a fenced yard were they can't do as they are naturaly breed to do?? [/quote]

Of course not, but you shouldn't complain when they kill squirells or mice in your yard. You should expect it and accept the fact that you may not be able to train it out of them. I think it's a bad idea to go to extreme lengths like a shock collar for a trait you knew the dog might have.

Umbilical training sounds like a good idea though.

I have to say the umbilical training really interested me. I got to thinking, wow that would be a great trick as Toby tends to hide behind the furniture. Well it worked, he stays right with me, but sratched the crap outta me. He won't let me cut his nails :(

I don't think a bark collar is bad in some cases. Now to use it 24/7 yes, but just at night or for training purposes I think it would be ok. Maybe the spray bottle will work. Toby is starting to get barky. Mostly at night. I think he is scared of the dark or something. He's a looney toon!

Good Luck DAL.

I know citronella collars are generally more humane than shock collars but I would shop around for one that works like a good shock collar. The good shock collars allow the dog something like 3 seconds of barking, if it goes past that they get a warning beep, if it persists they get the equivalent of a light static shock and it goes up from there. This allows the dog its normal warning/introductory/greeting bark etc and lets them know if they keep it up they will get the shock. If you can find a citronella collar that does that it would be best.

Another note on both the citronella and shock collars: most work by vibration so you should take them off if your dog is going to be bouncing about and playing or they can go off and give your dog the wrong message.

The umbilical training method is good too. I used to let my boys drag a 10 ft lead around the house to save having two dogs tangled up to me but sometimes they would knock things over with the leads.

[quote name='DogPaddle']Another note on both the citronella and shock collars: most work by vibration so you should take them off if your dog is going to be bouncing about and playing or they can go off and give your dog the wrong message.[/quote]

Actually, the citronella collars work from the sound of the dog barking. This is one of the reasons I don't like it. Dogs can be corrected if another dog barks near them.

Another thing I don't like is the fact that the correction doesn't just go away. A correction should be instantaneous and gone. This is not the case with the citronella collars. They get corrected, and the scent lingers. Dogs don't LIKE the smell, and the correction keeps on giving :(

Give me a good ol' static collar any day! I just ordered a new one actually, as the ones I have aren't powerful enough for the Maniac Malinois. Check eBay, you can get brand new in the box collars for cheaper than in the stores and catalogs.