Dogomania

I'm pretty upset

Mutt_Lady

Kevin and I got back a couple of hours ago from our anniversary weekend to some thing startling. We had picked up K and she had a new bone that we brought back for her (actually, we brought back 5 bones, but who's counting?) We all got out of the car - Steph included- when a woman basically charged our car. She started wagging her finger at Kyra and cursing at her. :o

I looked at her like: "What is WRONG with you? Where are your meds?" So she gave me a dirty look and responded: "Don't pretend you don't know." Ummm, I really [i]don't[/i] know. The witch went on to say how Kyra had been terrorizing the neighbourhood [i]all[/i] weekend. She had been wondering about without a leash on, pooping on people's lawns, and nipping at other dogs. :-? Not to mention that she howled and barked all night, keeping the whole neighbourhood up - including this lady and her husband who is said to be quite the crab when he doesn't get his sleep. ;)

Kevin, Steph, and myself began to laugh at her accusations. There was one itty bitty, teeny weeny [u]little[/u] problem: Kyra wasn't home once this weekend. She stayed with Kevin's sister while we were away. We also know for a fact that she couldn't have been there because they live 30 minutes away from us...it would be a pointless trip, nevermind that they didn't have a key. There was just [i]no way[/i] it could have been K.

But this witch says, "I know what I saw and I saw Kyra doing all those bad things." Unfortunately, most people believe her. This is really upsetting me now because this is the [i]second[/i] time K has been accused of another dog's crimes. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? :(

It is really hard with Labrador Retrievers because many look very similar. But some how this lady STILL is sure it was K. It wasn't, it wasn't, it wasn't! That's what I want to yell at her stubborn face. :evil:

Kevin says: "Don't let it get to you." But there is no way I want the whole neighbourhood to think that my dog NIPS other dogs. No way, no how. So now I'm trying to figure out a way to set them all straight. Got any ideas?

TIA-eileen

why can't we send morons like this to another planet? come on technology! i am sorry you had to go thru this -- i would say you have more self control than i. i wish i had a good suggestion for ya but unfortunately one harsh word against a dog can do more harm than a million accolades can recover!

I would try to get Kevin's sister to come over and confront her with the evidence. You are very correct that black lab dogs look very similar. Free has been blamed for similar things when she had never left the house/yard. There seems to be a lot of black lab dogs around here, and I think one is allowed to roam. I see it every once in a while, and it does look alot like Free (she's a mix). I think just to be safe I would also call animal control, and tell them what happened and that it wasnt your dog.

Also explain to the neighbors that you were out of town, how would the dog have eaten in that time, and does she look haggard, or thin, or like she's been out all the time?

You said:
[quote]Unfortunately, most people believe her.[/quote]

Have the other people confronted you about it?

I'm thinking that unless other people in the neighborhood start giving you problems, it might be best to just shrug it off and let it go. It's possible that others see her for the crackpot she is, too. Sometimes getting really defensive only makes you look guilty. If other people aren't mentioning it, perhaps it's best not to bring attention to it at all. I know it sucks to be blamed for something you had nothing to do with.

Guest Mutts4Me

I had similar porblems with my lab, Bandit. I was just a kid, and people would confront me while I had him out on walks, saying "your dog..." this and that, and I would explain that our dog was never unsupervised and that there were literally half a dozen black dogs on our street and the next one over, several of which roamed. They always looked at me with "yeah, sure" expressions on their faces, and my feelings were always hurt.

We bought Bandit a bright blue collar that would be easy to see by neighbors, so if they said anything, we could ask if the dog had a collar on, and what color it was. Soon after, one of the other other black dogs was wearing a blue collar, as well! A coincidence, but an annoying one :lol:

it seems like all the black dog owners around here (including me :oops: ) have red collars on their dogs. Free's however, has her name imprinted on the collar itself in big black letters, with her phone number. You can see the print (even if you cant read it) from pretty far away. It's obvious something is printed on the collar. I havent seen any other black lab dogs around here with one of thsoe collars. I have a blue one for Laurel as well.
The laws around here are pretty stringent about rabies tags. so I never let mine outside without their collars on, in case they somehow get out.

Just wait and see how the other neighbors react. If she doesnt stop griping, get Kevins sister to tell her what really went on. Some people just dont like dogs, and go out of their way to make an issue out of it. Unfortunately, black dogs and Pits seem to get the most of the flack.

:roll: :roll:

It stinks when your dog gets blamed for something it can't possibly have done. I'd be mad too. :x

My neighbours used to go on about Rosie barking. She does when she's a bit bored, she doesn't eat her treats she barks at them. :roll:

Anyway one day she'd been out with me for hours. When we got back the neighbours said they'd been cursing her for barking. Haha, it couldn't of been Rosie she wasn't there. They saw her come in with me so conceded it couldn't of been her. Next minute barking was heard, it was the dog who lives at the back who gets left out a lot in the garden.

They've never said anything since. I wouldn't mind but it's a mountain dog and it's bark is nothing like Rosie's. :D

Let us know how you go on with the other neighbours. And tell the witch to sod off. :lol:

My neighbor could certainly sympathize with you !!! She has a black Lab named Jack and he was being blamed for getting another neighbors Golden Retriever pregnant !!! Well wasn't she happy to say right back at the G.R Lady......It couldn't have been Jack HE'S NEUTERED !!!!!
Boy, did my friend have the last laugh !!! LOL :lol:

I know how upsetting this can be. I once received an anonymous note taped to my front door saying that since I moved in, my dogs barked all night and I had better put a stop to it. My dogs are locked in the house with ME at night, always have been.
If you are on friendly terms with anyone in the neighborhood, certainly I would spread the word. I would however do it a very low key manner, the woman was 'mistaken', not a crackpot, LOL. Might even be a good idea to print off your own flyers and take them around to your neighbors. Put in there that there is a case of mistaken identity and that you, as a responsible dog owner, would never let your dog roam and annoy people and other dogs.
It may be, like others have said, that your neighbors already know this woman is a bit of trouble but it does not hurt to make go on the offense in a manner a speaking so that YOUR dog does not get tarred with the wrong brush.

Guest Anonymous

What you need to do is tell that old crab to stop smoking so much ganja :HUT012: and to get over it. You did better than I would have...I have a short fuse with ignorant people.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Have the other people confronted you about it?

I'm thinking that unless other people in the neighborhood start giving you problems, it might be best to just shrug it off and let it go. It's possible that others see her for the crackpot she is, too. Sometimes getting really defensive only makes you look guilty. If other people aren't mentioning it, perhaps it's best not to bring attention to it at all. I know it sucks to be blamed for something you had nothing to do with.[/quote]

Unfortunately, they have. For a bit no one seemed to accuse Kyra other than the wench who came up to us our first day back. Wrong. One of her "croonies" came up to me and K asking, "Why is she not wearing a muzzle?" She went on to say, "With Kyra's history, she really should be wearing a muzzle or some thing that will stop her from nipping people and dogs." Argh, I was so mad! I told her that she could speak to Kevin's sister who had her all weekend. Then we'll see if they keep blaming Kyra.

A day later, a random woman asked me if Kyra was the "vicious dog everyone is talking about". :o I said no, of course not. I showed her how K sat and let her pet her. Then I watched as K gave the lady kisses and she still said, "Well that dog isn't human aggressive..she's dog aggressive." D'oh! I don't know what to do...

Not only is K innocent, but the story keeps changing. First the dog had only nipped other dogs. Now they tacked on that the dog was nipping people too. Oh my Dog!

Is there more advice now that there is new information?

Yes....

You tell the people if they don't stop harrassing you while you are outside minding your own business that you will press charges.

:D

Get off my property works well too.

But seriously.....

Or if one of them opens their mouths.....just turn and walk away.

You could probably talk till you're blue in the face. Some people are just plain ignorant.

1st - call animal control and explain the situation. It has now become imperative, because the neighbors think Kyra is biting people. Tell them the whole story, and have Kevin's sister back you up.

2nd - tell the neighbors, including the lady who complained, what you have done (by calling animal control) and that you have reported a black lab dog roaming loose and being confrontational. Continue to insist it was not Kyra, and have Kevin's sister again back you up.

This has now become a nasty situation. If that lab bites someone, or injures a child or a dog, Kyra will be held liable (and you) because of the neighborhood gossip. You'd need to be able to prove that Kyra was not out roaming, and they wont take your word for it. Since your neighbors think it's Kyra, they wont vouch for you. You need to get this in place immediately, before something bad happens.

Tell animal control you didnt report it before because you were trying to keep peace with the neighbors, but now it has become an issue and needs
looking into. It's always been said that the police usually believe the first person to report the incident. You now need to be that person, for your own and Kyra's protection.

YES!!!!
When I read your last post I was thinking what a hopeless/helpless situation ... but then here is Court telling you exactly the right thing to do to regain control of the situation ... it gives the control back to you! And I also agree with Court and DO, you must do this because it's threatening you and your dog now. I would only add or re-emphasize that you need to also keep a record (a little spiral notebook diary) of Kyra's whereabouts and times for the near future.