Dogomania

I hit up the kindergarten kids.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So my niece started school, kindergarten a couple weeks ago. Every week they have "show-n-tell". She begged me for her first s-n-t if I would bring a puppy to her class. Well, it went over great. I took a little 9 month old pup, who behaved INCREDIBLY well (loved all the attention).
The teacher asked if I would come back for the next one and give a little "information" about the breed. I told her I would be happy to and asked her how much time she would want me to fill. She told me we can go until there are no more questions.
So, yesterday, I went to give my little "class" on the wonderful American Pit Bull Terrier. I took 3 dogs.... another pup, a 3 year old female and a 9 year old male (we did this outside). The questions went on for over an hour!
I never thought kids that young would understand what the breed was going through and how misunderstood they are. MAN did they suprise me!
They listened to every word I had to say and asked great questions.
I honestly thought they would be to young to understand most of what I said. But they took it all in!
Guess the saying is true... Never too young to learn!

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm...didn't you know that it is dangerous to take your dogs around a bunch of kids!

Kids pull tails and tug on ears and poke out eyes...not to mention the snot factor.

Seriously though....Great job!

good job!!

children know a whole lot more than we think they do, about everything.
I cant forget the time my son (at about 6) asked why girls dont have "thingies" (apparently he had seen a girl using the bathroom. (wasnt supposed to, wandered in) and I explained, but theypick stuff up we would never imagine!!

they can be taught things quite yong. Glad they had questions!! the children may be able to turn this around.

[quote name='courtnek']
I cant forget the time my son (at about 6) asked why girls dont have "thingies" (apparently he had seen a girl using the bathroom. (wasnt supposed to, wandered in) and I explained, but theypick stuff up we would never imagine!!
[/quote]

:lol: courtnek, that cracked me up and reminded me of my own son and daughter when they were a bit younger.......
My son said he was better than she was and I said Why would you say that ? And he said "Because she doesn't have one of these, she lost it" :o
Imagine explaining that !!! :roll: :lol:

Divine, I was thinking the same thing......I'm surprised the teacher didn't screech and tear the kids back into the classroom !!! :lol: :lol:

Hmmmm ~ That is a wonderful thing you're doing showing the kids different breeds of dogs, will you be going back with more ?? :angel:

Tahts excellent that you could get the opportunity to guide the next generation of dog owners! In N.Ireland they have started a programme through the borough dog warden where kids are educated to treat dogs with respect.

Kids are the best audience I find. I've done sveral canine freestyle displays with Meg at schools and they are a great audience to have. :D

Guest Anonymous

Ill be going back every month or so. The teach asked if they could watch the pup grow up through the school year. I thought that was a great idea!

I honestly couldnt believe teach asked if I would bring more back the second time. Especially with what most people think of the breed. I figured she would be okay with the pup but not with adults. I think she liked hearing from someone with actual experience about the breed.

Thanks everyone... I try to educate people about the true APBT and it was nice to go from adults to children.