Dogomania

Brindle!

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

I had a very brindle day yesterday :)

Brindle is my favorite color of dog, and just this winter I'd discovered that Chihuahuas came in brindle, so I've always wanted to see a brindle Chi. I walked into a store and some lady was standing there holding one! It was a lighter brindle than I prefer, but still very cool.

THEN I went into a toy shop and was looking at the stuffed animal (plushes) which I love, and I saw something that caught my eye. It looked brindle, but I've never seen a brindle stuffed dog before. I picked it up, and it was this cute brindle and white dog with semi-erect ears... I thought, "wow, that could be a pit bull, but I don't think they make pit bull toys for kids...," but when I looked at the tag, it said"Pit Bull"!!!!! How cool is that!

I really wanted the stuffed pit bull, but it was $17, and when you're only getting $50 a week, you can't afford to spend that much money on a toy :( (Oh wait, but I get to pet tigers, so I'm not really complaining ;) )

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE brindle too :D This is one of the many reasons I want to get a rescue greyhound next! I used to think that very few types of dogs were available in brindle, but someone posted something somewhere (specific huh!) on this site that lots of dogs come in brindle, but of all those types greyhounds are still my favorite!

My niece is collecting dog breed stuffed animals and I have never seen a pit bull one either. She has a dalmation, a collie, a snauzer, a pug, a chinese pug, a husky, a bassett hound, poodle, and a cocker spaniel. So if anyone finds a place you can get a pit bull it would be greatly appreciated. She is now trying to find unusual ones we found a cairn terrier which is rare to find but I am not as of yet prepared to pay $50 for a stuffed toy. Maybe for her birthday. :lol:

[quote name='courtnek']*****Court, feeling VERY small, and VERY stupid*****

can someone explain "brindle" to me? please?

I thought I understood it, but after seeing the Chi I'm no longer sure...

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:[/quote]
Court, I don't know the genetical techno nerd way to put it, but have you ever seen a dog that looks like someone took several paint brushes, dipped them in different colors of paint and just kind of slung it all over the dog in swirls and stripes and patterns? Kinda sorta almost like a calico cat? The dogs are just kind of all different colors swirled on. That's my official techno nerd definition. I'm sure there's a more intelligent way to put it, but sleep deprivation is taking its toll.

We actually have a few brindle Poodles around here even though they're supposed to be rare.

In short haired dogs, brindle most often resembles tiger stripes (some BYB pit bull breeders, in all their wisdom, refer to them as "tiger pits" :roll: ), in longer haired dogs, it may more resemble mottling, as the markings overlap each other. Brindle is a pattern, not a color in dogs, so you can have many different colors of brindles. Odnarb who posts here knows a lot about this type of thing, hopefully she'll see it and can help explain it. Here are some pics (labeled so you can tell the brindled dogs) also: [url]http://apbtconformation.com/apbt_colors.htm[/url]

OMG!! Poodles come in other colors than black, and white? I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE....

*****Court feels stupider than ever****

there arent a lot of poodle owners around here....

***crawls into crate, to comtemplate the "unknowing"***

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

**may not come out anytime soon**

Since you like brindle, here's a picture for you:

[img]http://elmothesbt.homestead.com/brindleboya2.5weeks.jpg[/img]

And there's always my boy:

[img]http://elmothesbt.homestead.com/files/RCA.jpg[/img]

My Tully is actually brindle too, but she's so dark it's hard to see, she just appears black.

[quote name='courtnek']OMG!! Poodles come in other colors than black, and white? I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE....

*****Court feels stupider than ever****

there arent a lot of poodle owners around here....

***crawls into crate, to comtemplate the "unknowing"***

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

**may not come out anytime soon**[/quote]

AH HA!! This is not a Pit Bull thread; it's a COLOR thread, so YES I'm delving into Poodle territory (since you asked and all 8) ).

Poodles are only SUPPOSED to be solid colors... black, white, brown, silver, blue, etc. Poodles of solid colors are the only ones allowed to be shown in AKC matches. However, they come in many, many color varieties. There are parti Poodles (black/white, brown/white, etc.), phantom marked Poodles (think of a Poodle with Doberman or Schnauzer markings) and the ever so rare brindle Poodle. These dogs would all be disqualified in the show ring (AKC), but do exist. To be perfectly honest, I think parti Poodles are stunning (well, and the phantoms) even if not "correct". I believe one of the "over yonder" kennel clubs has recently accepted them and they are now shown. There is a push here to accept them and I hope they do. It's not the same as, say, white Dobermans or white Boxers that come with a host of problems. There is no sound reason that I've been able to find that makes parti color Poodles any different than solid colored ones. I know of a couple of people who are actively breeding parti Poodles that are otherwise everything the breed is supposed to be... correct temperaments, type, structure. I would LOVE to one day own a stunning parti color Standard Poodle. I believe the day is coming when they'll be shown in conformation in the US.

Aren't you glad you asked? 8)

They are already being shown in conformation in the US. :wink: Just not in the AKC. The UKC now accepts partis and phantom Poodles. There was quite a big to-do about that, too, with some Poodle owners ranting about the horrors of the multi-color Poodles being accepted by a registry they probably don't even show in. :roll: I believe the partis (and phantoms) are a separate variety in the UKC.

They didn't add the brindles though. I've never seen a brindle Poodle, I would like to.

[quote name='Sarahstaff']They are already being shown in conformation in the US. :wink: Just not in the AKC. The UKC now accepts partis and phantom Poodles. There was quite a big to-do about that, too, with some Poodle owners ranting about the horrors of the multi-color Poodles being accepted by a registry they probably don't even show in. :roll: I believe the partis (and phantoms) are a separate variety in the UKC.

They didn't add the brindles though. I've never seen a brindle Poodle, I would like to.[/quote]
Oh, drool, drool, drool. I sooooooo love the partis and phantoms. I didn't realize they were already being shown in the US, but I'm not up to date on the show scene as I'm not involved. The main venue I'm familiar with is AKC. I hadn't even considered that other clubs might be showing them. I have seen some stunning parti Poodles in grooming competitions in the US. I'd heard that there was a lot of ruckus over yonder about accepting them and a lot of people here as well are bucking and kicking over it. It's coming, though, I just know it. That may be just the thing that pulls me on into the show ring with a Standard Poodle. I've studied it and thought about it for years, but I keep changing my mind (frankly, because I'm a weinie :oops: ). If I had a stunning, show stopping parti Standard Poodle... oh my... :wink:

Some "interesting" poodle colors...

Phantom:
[img]http://www.pawsandpets.com/images/dakota01.jpg[/img]

Parti:
[img]http://www.partipoodle.org/Images/Trader000.jpg[/img]

Corded... okay, so not a color... but...
[img]http://www.partipoodle.org/Images/Lexxus%20only_small.jpg[/img]

Brindle:
[img]http://www.i-dog.com/board/messages/5462/31007.jpg[/img]

Sable:
[img]http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/sable.bmp[/img]

I LOVE a corded Poodle. Unfortunately, they're about as rare as a Lawrence Welk spot in the Rock 'n Roll Hall Of Fame. Maintaining a Standard Poodle coat is plenty of work. Cording one? It takes a special kind of person (aka NOT me, no way, no how, not in this lifetime or even the next).

That parti Standard... I've died and gone to heaven. *dreamy sigh*

I [i]love[/i] the phantom! Very striking! They are all interesting, thank you.

HF, the UKC just started accepting partis a couple months ago, it is very recent, so not suprising that you didn't know. I post at the UKC message board, and there was really a brouhaha when they were considering that decision. It was really funny for me, as a non-Poodle person, to observe. I couldn't believe how deadly serious some of these people were about not allowing the partis! One guy was saying how terrible are the partis were, which is ridiculous of course, there are many attractive partis. I don't know the breed standard, but I've certainly seen nice looking parti Poodles.

Considering some of the [i]other[/i] issues in the Poodle breed, making such a big fuss over a color seemed ridiculous to me. I was very glad when the UKC announced that they [i]were[/i] going to accept the partis.

Oh, and the sable pup [i]does[/i] look like a Power Puff girl. :lol:

Poodles come in mutli colours?! What? What rock have I been living under. :o :oops:

That black and white Parti one is so beautiful. The corded one is very cool, never seen anything quite like that before, but to be honest it reminds me of a mop. :oops:

Brindle dogs are my fave, I love the way the look. It seems like no two brindle patterns are the same.

It's kind of hard to see in his picture but Toto is a brindle cairn. You can kind of see the coloring in his back end. When his hair grows out you don't see it as much but when I cut his hair way down it looks like little tiger stripes. I too didn't know what the heck brindle was until someone told me Toto was brindle.
And before I go on I just want to say that I hadn't a thing to do with Toto's name my niece was 6 at the time and she named him. When I was signing him up for obedience class when he was a pup one of the people I called actually said. "No you didn't name him that? You have to change it right away." I never did call her back.