Dogomania

Pitbull image

StarFox

I went to the grocery store today and saw this with all the other energy drinks. I blew a gasket while in the store and started to yell about the media and societys portrail of pitbulls.

No wonder society thinks so little of the Pitbull when junk like this is everywhere. :x

[img]http://www.pitbullenergybar.com/index.2.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.hiphopbev.com/index2.htm[/url]
Also if you click on promotions it gives you places where they are pushing there product. Good to know they they are giving this junk away to impressionable young teenagers. :evil:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Exactly what do you find so offensive about this? It shows a picture of a pit bull (maybe snarling, maybe not) and implies that pit bulls have high energy.

Assuming that the picture does show a pit bull snarling, I have yet to hear from pit bull breeder who says that s/he doesn't want the dogs that s/he breeds to "not back down" or to "stand their ground" when confronted with other dogs. And they are all pretty much bursting with pride at the notion that their dogs will "finish" any fight they get into. NONE of the pit bull breeders I have talked to say that they consider the worthless trait of dog aggression (unless it is absolutely uncontrollable) a problem when considering which dogs to breed.

Sorry, but you make your own reputation. Pit bull people have made a reputation of having dogs that will be dangerous, at least to other dogs. And pit bulls have bigger problems in their own community than they do from outside folks who just notice the reputation and captialize on it.

primrose

not only is that a horible portrayal of an excellant breed that product is geared for young hip hops' The same group who buy from BYB and think it is [i]COOL[/i] to have a dog like the one in the picture :evil: NOT the REAL breed that is loving and gentle. I see it in our town all the time. Young uneducated about the breed wanting a cool dog and not training the dog not giving the dog any positive attention tying it up and thinking its cool to have a mean dog :evil: :evil: I am sorry Primmy I have ignored your posts for a long time but you really do like to just stir up dissention dont you? :agrue:

Tracy

Sounds like you've been talking to some pretty irresponsible pit bull breeders. All of the breeders I've talked to regarding dog aggression, none of them work to emphasise it, and most will do their darndest to decrease it through their breeding programs. In fact, I was surprised when scanning the sites of responsible breeders seeing how many dogs of the same gender they have living in the same quarters, sleeping together etc.

I think generalisations are dangerous, especially when people are generalising from the bad element.

Guest Anonymous

That is horrible!!! :o :evil: :evil:

I will cross post this and go to the site an complain. and as for Prim.. maybe you should worry about spelling your name right when you sign in as a guest other then trying to start stuff on here about pittbulls.. It seems you only show your self when something is posted about pitts... :evil:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Shenanigans']Sounds like you've been talking to some pretty irresponsible pit bull breeders. All of the breeders I've talked to regarding dog aggression, none of them work to emphasise it, and most will do their darndest to decrease it through their breeding programs. In fact, I was surprised when scanning the sites of responsible breeders seeing how many dogs of the same gender they have living in the same quarters, sleeping together etc.

I think generalisations are dangerous, especially when people are generalising from the bad element.[/quote]

I agree with you that it is irresponsible of pit bull breeders not to breed away from dog aggression. But I have really tried to get some breeders (including an AmStaff breeder who is pretty universally touted as the epitome of pit bull breeding responsibility) to agree that it is important to actively work to decrease dog aggression in pit bulls and have yet to get a single one to agree with that. They argue vorciferously that dog aggression is part of what makes a pit bull a pit bull and they don't WANT to change it.

Maybe the more responsible ones are out there and just not speaking up. I certainly hope so for the sake of pit bulls. But I think it is sort of odd for people to get all worked up about the effects of an energy drink label, compared, for example, to the message of this ad: [url]http://www.geocities.com/tluvzc4e2001/americas_most_wanted_kennels.html[/url]

The above ad is for a kennel linked on from this board's "breeder" list. Let me hasten to say that I have no idea how one gets to be a breeder on the breeder list, so maybe the people who run the board are not responsible for choosing the links. Just that the problems pit bulls have are caused way more by the people who breed pit bulls than the people who make energy drinks.

primrose

dog aggression is completely unrelated to the logo being used by this company.

the picture shows an OBVIOUSLY snarling, unfriendly pit bull. it makes no distinction as to what is being snarled at (dog/person/otherwise), but simply shows a mean-looking dog. the average person is going to see it and think about all the bad things they've heard about pit bulls. they are not going to consider what the dog is snarling at, or what the message trying to be conveyed is.

quite simply they will see a vicious pit. that is a negative image. period.

and to go back to dog aggression...i know many who will contend that it is not that big of a deal. if owned and handled responsibly, a dog aggressive dog is not a problem. dog aggression is the least of the pit bull's problems.

[quote]It shows a picture of a pit bull (maybe snarling, maybe not) and implies that pit bulls have high energy. [/quote]

:o PLEASE. Come now Primrose, does that dog look like it is MAYBE snarling? :roll: The dog IS snarling it is VERY obvious of that.

[quote]it makes no distinction as to what is being snarled at (dog/person/otherwise), but simply shows a mean-looking dog. the average person is going to see it and think about all the bad things they've heard about pit bulls. they are not going to consider what the dog is snarling at, or what the message trying to be conveyed is.

quite simply they will see a vicious pit. that is a negative image. period[/quote]

Well said!

And you can bet I'll be complaining to the company about this.

Guest Anonymous

Pit Bull breeders do not want people to see their dogs getting bad publicity. That picture has nothing to do with fighting or dog aggression, OR the high energy of pit bulls. It is using the "mean dog" image pits have gotten to sell their product. AND, if they were trying to give the image of "high energy" why not use a pic that shows that? Weight pulling or something? Instead they use a mean looking pit?!
I seriously doubt prim even knows any pit bull breeders, let alone reputable breeders.

AND, the pit bull owners didnt make this reputation for their breed... the media did. Look at the days before the media got so warpped about pit bulls. They were the number one family dog. They were the symbol for the USA.
I cant stand people who act like they know about the breed when they dont.... And with every post..... :roll:
No wonder you were run off all the other boards.... OK, back to ignoring...

[quote]REALLY!!! DOG AGGRESSIVE DOGS ARE NOT A PROBLEM????
I disagree with this. In our society today where we live in such close quarters and there are ALOT more people with dogs, and a good percentage being small dogs...a dog aggressive dog is a BIG problem. . [/quote]
you are entitled to your opinion as i am to mine. i can tell you though, i live in an urban area with a highly dog aggressive pit bull. it is not hard to avoid seedy situations or train your dog to behave properly despite their dog aggressive tendencies. i have yet to have a problem initiated by my dog. the few problems i have had were because of OTHER DOGS who were not controlled by their owners. as a responsible owner, i make sure my dog is not a threat to other dogs. if more owners would do so, this would not even be an issue.

I have to admit with all the politics in the dog world, I have a hard time believing that any one breeder in any given breed is the universal epitomy of anything. lol

I think if you are limiting your conversations to online (unless you travel all around, I can see the tangible restrictions of travel and phone costs to talk to people) you are missing out on a lot of responsible breeders. I can count scores of breeders in my two breeds alone who don't have a website, don't communicate via these webforums, and only really respond to specific questions about their dogs or dogs they can speak to via email, but would usually recommend you call them. I can imagine that with pit bulls people might be all the more cautious with whom they're talking to.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='mydogroxy']dog aggression is completely unrelated to the logo being used by this company.

the picture shows an OBVIOUSLY snarling, unfriendly pit bull. it makes no distinction as to what is being snarled at (dog/person/otherwise), but simply shows a mean-looking dog. the average person is going to see it and think about all the bad things they've heard about pit bulls. they are not going to consider what the dog is snarling at, or what the message trying to be conveyed is.

quite simply they will see a vicious pit. that is a negative image. period.

and to go back to dog aggression...i know many who will contend that it is not that big of a deal. if owned and handled responsibly, a dog aggressive dog is not a problem. dog aggression is the least of the pit bull's problems.[/quote]

This is one of the big places where, I think, the pit bull community is just missing what the problem is. Every time a pit bull exhibits dog aggression, there is always a response that says "but he isn't necessarily dangerous toward PEOPLE, so what is the big deal?"

Guess what? The "average person" doesn't want a dog living next door to him who (if the owner is not 100% responsible, and very few owners are) present a danger to the children of the "average person" but they ALSO don't want a dog living next door who presents a danger to their own dogs. So just saying "he's dog aggressive, but he won't hurt a person" doesn't make the "average person" want this dog as a neighbor.

Many, if not most, dangerous dog laws are written to include dogs which are dangerous either to people OR other dogs. There is a reason for that and that is that some of us don't want a dog who wants to kill our dog living next door.

primrose

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Sarahstaff']Does "primorse" rhyme with "remorse"?[/quote]

Uh, no, I don't think "primorse" and "remorse" rhyme, unless you are writing country music, where they have kind of a broader view of what rhymes than most of the rest of us do.

I have changed my username, because somebody (probably somebody who is such an admirer of mine they just had to have my name, doncha think?) apparently registered my name in an apparent effort to make it so I couldn't post under primrose. (I get "sorry, but this username is already taken" when I try.) No matter, I pretty regularly make typos in it anyway and primorse will do.

primrose

Guest Anonymous

[quote]And hmmm, don't you fight your APBT's????
on the board "barking buddies" you used to talk alot about fighting your APBT's and how you bred for gameness????[/quote]
You arent saying anything that everyone here doesnt already know...As I dont lie. I find it rather funny how you pathetic guests try to start crap. Anyone here who I respect knows they can say what they want to me about what I do and they will get an honest answer.
Man, so thats where all these guests are coming from? Barking Buddies... No wonder. I hadnt posted on there for quite awhile cause I got to where I just couldnt stand the ignorance.... Please dont bring that crap here.

Guest Anonymous

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GET ME THE ADDRESS TO THE COMPANY WHO MADE THAT AD BECAUSE I'M GONNA WRITE LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW

And as for the image..I'm sure someone has already mentioned it (not gonna read every single comment)..but the picture portrays an aggressive/vicious dog...and it just so happens to be a pitbull..not only is the image provoking the public to further support their stereotypical argument on how pitbulls are a dangerous and evil breed, but it also gives the public ideas about how the breed would be successful in winning fights and how they can make a few bucks off of it...............I'm against all that sh*t and for crying out loud I EVEN GOT THAT MESSAGE FROM IT!

Ok I'm about to blow a casket so....uh...yeah..address anyone?! :evil:

[quote]Exactly what do you find so offensive about this? It shows a picture of a pit bull (maybe snarling, maybe not) and implies that pit bulls have high energy. [/quote]

Uhh, your kidding right? I find the entire thing offensive! Lets see for one they arn't selling product they are selling an image. They are NOT implying that pit bulls have high energy because if they were they would show an entierly differnt picture, like Hmmm said, a weight training pic would show high energy, not some lame picture like this.

Labs and Aussies also have high energy but I'm positive that they arn't going to put a picture of a fuzzy little lab on the front of the can and market it as something "urban and cool".

The demographic they are tring to sell to is young kids in urban neighborhoods. A promotion at Fairfax High School, Ca? The MTV movie awards? BET awards show? The Ultimate Fighting championship, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that where they have two guys in a ring and they beat the living hell out of eachother, basically like street fighting? Yea what a great marketing stratagy. :roll:

Not to mention that the picture is just stupid, why don't they just have blood comming off of it's teeth? :x They obviously want a mean dog image.

Pitbulletta: Here is the contact info.
Hip Hop Beverage Corperation
10316 Norris Ave. Unit A
Pacoima, Ca 91331
Telephone: 818-686-6188

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gunnersmom']not only is that a horible portrayal of an excellant breed that product is geared for young hip hops' The same group who buy from BYB and think it is [i]COOL[/i] to have a dog like the one in the picture :evil: NOT the REAL breed that is loving and gentle. I see it in our town all the time. Young uneducated about the breed wanting a cool dog and not training the dog not giving the dog any positive attention tying it up and thinking its cool to have a mean dog :evil: :evil: I am sorry Primmy I have ignored your posts for a long time but you really do like to just stir up dissention dont you? :agrue:

Tracy[/quote]

Tracy,

When you say (about pit bulls) that the "real breed" is "loving and gentle," you are saying that real pit bulls are not dog aggressive? What do you think the "real breed" was developed to do?

primrose

I completely agree with the concern regarding the image of a snarling pit bull and passing it off as equating to 'high energy'. High energy and viciousness are not the same. They are pandering to their target audience, simple as that. Very irresponsible. Very stupid. The makers of this don't give a damn about the pit bull as a breed, they could care less of the image they are helping to perpetuate, all they care about is drawing people in to buy their product.
If Belgians were as well known as pits and they showed a Belgian snarling like that, I'd be just as upset.

Primrose, unless you are willing to tell us what breed of dog you own, do not down any other breeds. If you are not up for the scrutiny, don't dish it out. And please, do not insult the intelligence of the members of this board by saying "we would all know who you are" if you reveal the breed like you have clamined on Patty's. Personally, I don't giva a damn who you are and I doubt any one else here does either. It is obvious to all of us that you have never met a pitbull OR a breeder.

Debby

PRIMORSE :agrue:

Everything I have read on this forum as well as TPBF have led me to believe that an APBT is not the vicious and evil breed that the image for this energy drink is selling. to me the real breed is the gentle and loving dogs that the people on these forums own and love and trust. I do not own a pit bull but I am not against them. I try to educate myself on the differant breeds rather than let my ignorance make a decision for me. As far as the REAL BREED I dont give a flip what you or the so called experts say. The real experts are the people who own and love the dogs. Not someone who writes standards and statistics ( they get them wrong all the time anyway) JMO
Tracy

Guest Anonymous

I must admit I am totally amazed at this board. You attack a guest poster who points out that pit bulls are dog aggressive and therefore not appropriate pets for most people while throwing your support behind a person who fights their dogs. Last I looked, dog-fighting was a felony in most states. Not to mention morally repugnant. It is also fascinating to see that the posts mentioning dog-fighting have been edited out by the "moderator". Just who are they trying to protect? Did I somehow stumble onto a secret dog-fighting web site?

Guest Anonymous

:o Go back to where you came from! this is NOT a fighitng webpage, they posts that are edidted have been edited for good reasons.
we do not support dog fighting on this board, and this post was just to inform us that yet again they are ruining the image of the pitt bulls...
please go away :evil: :evil: