Dogomania

My new dog Beau...how he is adjusting.

I couldn't be more pleased with how this dog has adjusted to my pack! I don't know if every one here knows this...but, I found a dobie mix on Dec 18/03...the poor thing was starved and malnourished when I found him. He was completely checked over by the Vets I work for and deemed free of diseases...I have posted found dog posters at local stores and put ad's on the local radio stations...no one has claimed him...so I guess he is my dog now. :o My friend who works for the SPCA told me the dog has either been on the run for awhile or neglected...very neglected. I think he was dumped.
Any way, I have had his vaccines done last week and he should be healthy enough to be neutered at the end of the January...the Vets want him to gain more weight first...we currently have him on a weekly weigh in to insure he is gaining weight at a proper pace. I have put him on Wellness Fish & Sweet Potatoe which he is doing great on.
He and my 2 intact males get along great, it was my dog aggressive Rottweiler I was worried about. I figured out the proper way of introducing her to new dogs without her freaking out. What I did was I was keeping Beau at the grooming shop I work at in one of the runs my boss has...I let Beau loose in the shop then went outside and got my Rottie...before bringing her in I put a basket muzzle on her...she does not wear muzzles at all so this was quite a weird thing for her...I brought her into the shop and she was busy trying to get the muzzle off her face...finally she gave up and just stood there looking at me in defeat...Beau at this point was smelling her rear end and offering his to her...she sniffed it, seemed to like what she sniffed and she wagged her tail...I held my breath and took off the muzzle and they got along famously!!! I was shocked...this is the dog I have to find remote areas to walk as she is much too dog aggressive! she just needs special attention when introducing...believe me I have tried to introduce her to new dogs in all the "right" ways and it has never turned out pleasant! behind a fence she will fence fight, on lead she protects her "personal space" the only dogs she has been fine with since day one are ALL Newfoundland dogs...we think due to their non-threatening manner...plus, I am more relaxed as I know there is nothing a Rottweiler could do to a Newf to cause any damage...to get past that coat and find skin would be impossible! :lol:
I was also worried that Beau was going to be a "horizon dog" when I let him off lead in an enclosed baseball field he ran completely around the entire field 5 times looking for a way out! :o I kept some liver treats in my pockets and ran the opposite way and played come chase me games with him...when ever he caught me I gave him a peice of liver...what more could a half starved dog ask for....then I continued each day taking him to this enclosed field...once he ran off his excess energy he would come running up to me and look for his treat...he then started coming up to me for pats...I got down on my knees and scratched his belly and ears then took out the ball and threw it for him...I wanted him to understand that by coming to me, it does not mean he is going to go on lead...by coming to me he will have really good things happen. I am now able to take him to my remote hiking areas with my other dogs and let him off lead....he runs with the other dogs....but, will stay within sight...I have hidden a couple of times which has freaked him out....once he has found me he got plenty of praise and treats...now, he doesnt let me out of his sight. He comes when called and already knows his name. I am very happy with this new dog...he also has alot of dobie traits...when I sit he wants to sit on my lap, driving; he likes to try to get up front and hold his check against mine...I really have to get that partition put up in my truck to keep the dogs in back! :lol:
I will try to get some pictures of him and post them...he is quite funny looking...I call him my purebed freak dog.... :lol: he has the face of a Dobie, body of a greyhound or very gangly dobie and long legs...his tail is long and curls at the end...it looks like a baboon tail...and his ears are full and floppy giving him a real cartoonish look. Currently he gets the most attention of all my dogs...people stop and stare at him....well possibly cause he is so skinny and my other dogs are...well, a little over proper weight.... :lol: I feel like saying to the next person who stares at him..."Yep, I practice survival of the fittest...as you can see he just isn't fit enough to keep the other dogs away from his meal...ya snooze, ya loose" It would be only in a joking manner....but, most people don't have a warped humer like mine and I would probably get reported... :oops: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

wow!! that is GREAT to hear!! how nice it is of you to open your house and your heart to this little guy! so glad to hear it's working out! and that your rottie now has a new freind too! great!

I'm going to try and get some pictures of him today...he is looking great! he has been gaining weight at the proper pace...so I think it should be OK to have him neutered. Intact males can be really really dirty...luckily my 2 intact male Newf's have never marked in the house...but, Beau does occasionally...it will be better after he is neutered...its just one of the things you have to expect by keeping intact males in the house. :wink: especially since my bitch Tori just came into heat! poor little beau... the things I have been subjecting him to. I packed Tori up and sent her back to the breeders...she is over 2 and will be bred this time. My little girl is losing her innocence... :cry:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Cassie']. I packed Tori up and sent her back to the breeders...she is over 2 and will be bred this time. My little girl is losing her innocence... :cry:[/quote]

:o :o :o aww poor Tori.. but yay little newfie puppies that we get to see LOTS of pictures of ( hint hint )

Guest Anonymous

lol i ment to add.. I wish it was that easy for humans.. gez.. lol pack me up and send me to the breeders. lol i wanna get preg. that fast and easy! lol screw infertility treatment!

[quote]lol i ment to add.. I wish it was that easy for humans.. gez.. lol pack me up and send me to the breeders. lol i wanna get preg. that fast and easy! lol screw infertility treatment! [/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: can you imagine being able to pick your own stud to mate to???? hmmm...with the Newf's its pretty hard to get a natural breeding. We have been getting Tori together with the male and the breeder does an AI...its pretty yucky! so my little girl is losing her innocence to a syringe. :lol: I'll have to get a picture of that syringe and hang it up over the pups picture to show who their father is...I wonder if the future owners of these pups would apprecite a picture of the syringe instead of the actual stud dog to be enclosed with their papers and forms?

Guest Anonymous

lol that would be great! pick your own stud! lol and i want to see a picture of the syringe over hte puppies head.! lol i know how yucky that is. My freinds family breeds and show siberan huskies ( they used to have the top husky inthe us but that was a few years ago and i lost contact with her ) but one time her family need MY help to hold the bitch down while they did that.. YUCK good thing i'm a dog lover, and um not weak at the stomach. it didnt' look fun.. hope I dont have to use the syringe too! lol