Dogomania

Black Spot on Tongue?

DogPaddle

Zaphod is a 10/11 month old mix breed/mutt, mostly Lab. He has recently developed a black or very dark blue spot on his toungue. I know some dog breeds can have blue/black tongues. I know BC pigmentation on their body can occur in spots and change approaching maturity. But its just one very dark spot on an other wise pink tongue. Anyone heard of this?

I once knew a Bull Mastiff with a great big freckle on his toungue!!! :wink:
The chances are its nothing, but do keep an eye on it, when mum got a black spot on her toungue she went to the doctor and it turned out to be the 7th ever recorded case of a melenoma on the toungue!!! If she didn't go to the doctor she would have been dead in a few months :-?

Maya has a black spot on her tongue (about the size of a fingerprint) and the vet said it was like a birthmark.

Hopefully you can see the mark in this picture.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgDKAmES7EKdQwmWD!oqYoXs9GJZ75!YgyORGlU9sUgn*X*awhUOS9uHADDhXlirsODGSvXxxKyg9UYuifFKtYqDCOV7aL7NNsw!05ooor4/DCP_0018.JPG?dc=4675422733929178848[/img]

Guest Anonymous

Coal has a black dot that just appeared on the side of his tongue, but I figured nothing of it, he's part B/C and I've seen them have spots on their tongue... that woulda been cool if hazel had a brown one haha, wait... no, that would probably look gross :o

All of my Newfoundland's have had blue/black spot on their tongues which got bigger as they got older...and my Shep/huskey mix also had a large spot of blue/black on his tongue which got larger as he aged...if you look at alot of different dogs (which I work with many different dogs daily) I notice alot of dogs have blue/black spots on their tongues.

Cassie and Hazel - That's encouraging. It could very well be something like that, I'm glad to hear there are breeds that just get spots later in life or who's spots grow as they get older - Who knows what other breed is in him aside from Lab - I have had people guess:
BC
GSD
Chow
APBT/SBT
Huskey
and even
Shiba Inu
:lol:

Guest Anonymous

Chow chow's have the black/blue tounge. i had a chow shepherd once who had blak dots on her tounge.. i dont think it's anythign to worry about.

:D

Found some interesting information on this topic while looking up something else. How many of you are having black spots appear and are feeding egg white's.

Here's the link:

[url]http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/articles/560_basic_nutrition2.htm[/url]

[quote][size=2]Other vitamin B-complex

These include riboflavin (Vit B2), niacin pyridoxin (Vit B6), pantothenic acid, biotin, folic acid, and vitamin B12.

The best supplies are in wheat germ, brewer's yeast, liver and the organ and muscle meats.

[b]Under normal feeding there should be no problems, but egg white and sulpha drugs can make them unavailable.[/b]

[b]"Black tongue" is a defect of the mucous membranes caused by a niacin deficiency.[/b]

Poor blood clotting can be caused by folic acid deficiency.

Riboflavin shortage can cause slow growth, poor appetite and low fertility.[/size][/quote]

:angel:

I call them "tongue freckles" (or tongue spots) A lot of people say that if a dog has the tongue freckles, they must have some chowchow or shar pei in them--this isn't true. I've heard people say the absurdest things based on a little bit of folk lore...tongue freckles are normal and meaningless. (any dog can have tongue freckles, not just chow or pei mixes)

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

My dog has an all black/blue tongue what does it mean. We thought he had chow in him. Not. He is akita/dingo mix as far as we know. :-?

Guest Mutts4Me

Old post.

I guess this is what happens when the forum is searched by Google.

Anyway, what on Earth made you decide your mix breed was not, after all, a Chow mix and was instead sometime absurd like an Akita/Dingo mix?

this topic interests me...... Bongo has a few "blueish" spots on his tongue, and when he was young someone told me that meant he was part chow b/c only chows have blue tongues :-? Ive always wondered what other breeds may have that and what other reasons there are for it since Ive seen alot with atleast a little spot :wink: