Dogomania

Bloody Bourke!!!

Aroura

This guy makes me so angry. We've had a topic in here about him before but I was just reading in the paper "CAVOODLE puppies, (Poodle x Cavalier, as seen Bourkes Backyard.).... $300 - $350".
What does this idiot think he's doing encouraging people to breed breeds that aren't even breeds??? And expect that people will pay pedigree prices for these mutts???
Argh!!! :evil:
Just had to rant :x

What does he think he's playing at??? Not only is he encouraging ignorant people to breed heredity disease ridden dogs that aren't even pure bred I was reading about a book he's put out on dog breeding. It basically said, find a dog that is purebred, find another dog of the same breed, breed the dogs and walla, you're a dog breeder!!!
Evil, evil man :evil:

LABRADOODLES????

JC, if she insists on doing it (against my better judgement) at least give the poor animal a DECENT name.....

and I cant even think of a decent name....Poodlador? labapoo? it's just ridiculous....

At least most people called golden/lab mixes Golden Labs....there was some dignity to it....

:evil:

[quote]Who is this Don Bourke person ??
Is he somebody in Australia ?? [/quote]

Don Bourke is a TV personality who has a gardening show, though over the years it branched into home improvement segments and they now have a segment on a particular breed of dog each week. In the dog segment they pretty much run though what is involved in owning that particular breed in regards to feeding, grooming, exercise needs etc..... I think that in itself is a good thing as people can never have too much education however I don't think he should be promoting breeds like ""Cavdoodles" as it encourages people to breed indiscriminately.

I think it's [url]www.burkesbackyard.com.au[/url]

The man is a complete f***wit. He has been embroiled in a fight with the New South Wales Kennel Club and goes to great lengths on his show to denigrate purebred dogs and promote mutts... though this could ALSO be because he PART OWNS A PUPPY FARM. :evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat:

Yup, he's been around for as long as I can remember and the stupid thing is that the general public trust him and take his word for things they really should be looking up on anyway. He probably just ran out of pure breds to breed so started on the searching of mixed breeds that he could promote instead :evil:

:wink:

Don't know anything about this guy, but it sounds like he decided to cash in on the latest fad.

Kiger - I would tell your vet that you are getting the word out in the real pure-breed community about his new hobby and that you will not be needing his service anymore and probably will not be needed with the rest of his real pure-breed dog owners.

The only real way to stop this irresponsible insanity is through education.

:angel:

Guest Anonymous

On the subject of cavoodles, we just bought one and couldn't be more thrilled. We looked into alot of different breeds before we got a dog and he is absolutely perfect. The breeders take the good traits from both breeds and blend them into a dog that will suit a lot of people. People loke the coat of the poodle but not necessarily some of their other traits but blend them in with such a placid dog as the Cavalier and you get an ideal sized, non-shedding, non-smelling not to big or small sized dog that's great for city living and kids

They still aren't a breed and Don Bourke shouldn't be promoting them as though they are and encouraging unscroupulous backyard breeders to breed mutts. The show is called Bourkes Backyard, and I'm sure if you did have a look into his backyard all you would find is a puppy mill. People can't cross two breeds of dog together and expect to come up with a knew breed or to be able to sell it for a ridiculous price. You also can't expect to get the traits you're after, wouldn't it be nice if people who bred dogs always had all the right traits in every puppy? How do you know the pups will be non shedding or hyper allergenic? Chances are twice as likely the dogs will end up at the pound because they DON'T have these traits the breeder says they will have.

Hugo's mum your statement is just ridculous its like saying if you take a man and a woman that the child will have the looks of mum but dads personality , what happens if they have the dads looks but mums personality THERE ARE NO GUARNTEES IN BREEDING basicly they are mutts and it takes many generations to get a dog to breed true to type yet you think with one mating its all work out .Sorry if this seems harsh but lets use some common sense :o

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

You people breeding pure breds should open your eyes.
There is no such thing as a perfect pure bred dog, they all have their faults.
You have had it good for too long. Dollars mean more to your type of breeder than what the dog owners want.
We designer dog breeders are breeding dogs with less faults and better temprements that your pure breds.
How dare you run down breeds you obviously know nothing about. Take the time, you may learn a few things that may benifit the dog and its owners.
Most dog owners care more about the temprement and well being of a dog and not some fancy breeding background. Take time and do a bit of research like Don Bourke has before you have the hide to critasize him. He is the professional not you bunch of dills.Wake up

Luv me do, I honestly don't know what you are on about. There is no element of truth in your whole post, so why did you bother posting?

[quote]Dollars mean more to your type of breeder than what the dog owners want. [/quote]

No, I think it is your kind of breeder who only cares for dollars, breeding mutts and trying to push the prices sky high for something you have no idea of what it will turn out to be. The dog owners have plenty of breeds to choose from to find something they want, designer breeds only give them unpredictability, and nobody wants that.

[quote]We designer dog breeders are breeding dogs with less faults and better temprements that your pure breds.[/quote]

Oh yeah? How can you say that when you don't even know yourself what you are breeding? I mean honestly, do a little bit of genetics and you'll realise that the crossing over of alleles is completely random, so how can you predict what you are going to get? Good breeders spend years trying to pick the right lines and breed much more stable dogs than dogs that have simply been chucked together and hoped for the best.

[quote]How dare you run down breeds you obviously know nothing about. Take the time, you may learn a few things that may benifit the dog and its owners.[/quote]

I think you are the one who needs to learn a few things, not us. And we are not running down any "breed" as they are mutts, so what you said means nothing any way.

[quote]Most dog owners care more about the temprement and well being of a dog and not some fancy breeding background.[/quote]

Oh, finally you've said something with truth behind it!!! Yes, people do care more for temprement and well being, which is why most smart people will buy a pure bred, because they have solid breeding and are stable, not some fancy breeding with unpredictable health and temprement as do designer dogs.

[quote]Take time and do a bit of research like Don Bourke has before you have the hide to critasize him. He is the professional not you bunch of dills.Wake up[/quote]

Don Bourke is FAR from an expert on dogs, breeding, genetics etc... he is a GARDENER!!! Maybe if he'd stick to what he knows there wouldn't be conversations like this one, he's the one who should wake up, not us. At least we know what we are talking about, he simply looks for some type of mutt to star on his show so that the breeders of this mutt can make a fortune. Where are the morals in that :-?

[quote]Dollars mean more to your type of breeder than what the dog owners want. [/quote]

I don't believe this at all. I like to look at people’s motives for breeding. I believe that most breeders of pure breed dogs are doing so to better the breed and are lucky if they break even (note that I said most – unfortunately there are always going to be some unscrupulous people). In regards to designer breeders or people who breed cross breeds, they are only doing so to fill a niche market. Yes, there may be demand but the supply of these dogs can only be to line the breeders pocket, as what other purpose do the dogs serve? Not saying that the dog itself isn't as worthy of love etc as a pure breed, just that it's sole reason for being born was as a commodity.

And no, pure breed breeders probably don't care what the dog owners want - if what they want doesn't meet the breed standard. If pure breed dogs started deviating from the breed standard just because owners decided they wanted something a bit prettier or cuter then the breed wouldn't be able to serve it's original purpose.

For example. The breed standard for the Alaskan Malamute in regards to the coat states: ‘The Malamute has a thick, coarse guard coat, never long and soft.” Say dog owners decided that they didn't like the coarse guard coat, so breeders decided to breed dogs with a softer fluffier coat, those dogs could not serve their original purpose. If out in a blizzard they would probably die because their coat would not protect them - whereas the dogs that meet the standard would survive.

The fancy breeding background as you call it is what determines that each new puppy born has a very high chance of having the characteristics necessary to serve the breeds purpose.

Your statement that pure breed breeders don't care about temperament is also a fallacy. It's all part of the parcel! Temperament is first and foremost and then the physical qualities come next, however one doesn’t work without the other. There is no point breeding a dog that has a lovely temperament but does not meet the standard and there is also no point in breeding a dog that has all the desired physical aspects but a terrible temperament. You need the whole kit and kaboodle.

If you say otherwise, then you are only doing so to justify the purpose of your business - as that's all it is a business and your puppies are the product.

Guest Mutts4Me

I'll first say that I think mutts are absolutely wonderful. I have one, and I'll probably have mutts for the rest of my dog-owning life. I in no way think mutts are inferior to purebreds.

That said, I think think that breeding mutts is absolutely wrong. I love Sasha. She's gorgeous. She's a sweetheart. She's amazingly healthy (unlike my purebred lab, who's been a wreck healthwise since his youth). Yet I would never, ever consider breeding her (well, she's fixed, but if she wasn't...). I wouldn't go to the shelter and find another shep/chow that looks just like her so that I could have another little Sasha, as much as I love her. Is that because I think she's not worthy, just because she's a mutt? Heck no. Like I said, I'm a mutt person. But mutts don't have the same chance as purebreds.

I know someone who has a chihuahua who just had puppies, and those puppies are going to find homes, no doubt (and people who're willing to pay purebred prices are probably going to give good homes). But her neighbor, whose mutt just had puppies, is probably not going to be able to place those mutts, at least not all of them. So they're probably going to end up at the pound or something, where they'll be competing with other baby mutts (and maybe some purebreds) for homes, and not all of them are going to get them. Even the ones who do find homes are not sure to get good ones.

I love mutts, and sadly, I will always be able to find a mutt to rescue at a shelter. So there's absolutely no reason to promote the addition of more mutts to the world. They'll never be recognized by any kennel club, so they won't have valid "pedigrees." So even if you perfected the Cavdoodle, or whatever it is, over many generatations to get the exact traits you want to pass on for your "ideal" dog, nothing- NOTHING- is going to stop some money hungry person from grabbing something that looks like a Poodle and something that looks like a Cav, sticking them in a kennel together, and selling the puppies (without any knowledge of health or temperment history) for hundreds of dollars to some unsuspecting family that thinks it's getting the "ideal" family dog its promoted as being.

Of course, this can be said about purebred dogs as well. I can't help but think that my registered labrador retriever was the result of much inbreeding and little care, and so he's one messed up creature. But we didn't breed him, either ;)

I don't know. Most of our purebreds today were developed from selective crossing between breeds, so something like this is not totally unheard of. And if everyone who wanted to breed and own dogs was responsible and intelligent, then maybe this wouldn't be such a big issue (and neither would shelter dogs, because they wouldn't exist). But many people are not responsible when breeding there dogs, and for that reason, I don't support this Cavdoodle (or the like) project at all.

Amber