Dogomania

Me:1 - Little Fluffy Dog:0

Me and the girls got jumped on the way home this morning from a trip to the park. We were coming past a house where two older men were sitting on their porch with a little Shih Tzu. I actually didn't know the little fluff ball was there until it started barking and bombed down off the porch at us. I wasn't too sure of it's intent so I had my dogs 'hold it' were they were at and I stepped forward so that the little dog would have to come by me first so I could determine what he was up to.

Well the bugger flew past me without even a 'hi, how ya' doing' and lept up at Zoey's face! :-? It then proceeded to circle around madly biting my girls in the hocks. Poor China and Zoey had no idea what they were supposed to be doing and just tried to get out od the little guy's way as well as eachothers'. The dog's owner was on his way off the porch (taking his sweet time), while I stomped the ground and growled out a 'No!' (which didn't even make it hesitate). It didn't take long for my girls to have had enough, China was baring her teeth, and it seemed likely that either the little beast was going to get ripped to pieces, or worse, his owner was going to get bite when he reached for his pooch out of the tangle of dogs.

So I made a command decision: I punted the little b@stard. It wasn't the most well thought-out plan because I almost landed him out in the street, but I didn't know what else to do at the time. I was going to just go along my merry way after that, but of course the litlle dog's owner wasn't happy with me and started to b!tch me out. I usually don't find it worth my time to squabble with people, and an appology probably would have gotten him off my back, but I seems I had left the house without any of those this morning. Instead I asked if he would rather I just let my dogs rip his "obviously aggressive, off-leash, and off-property" dog to pieces. That seemed to shut him up and he carried his little hell-hound back to the porch muttering something under his breath. I couldn't make out what he was mumbling but it probably had something to do with how wise and gentle I am, and how benevolent and and just I treat all life. :D

[quote name='courtnek']sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do....no onewas hurt, thats all that matters. maybe the idiot will have learned something from this....[/quote]

Maybe he learned something, maybe not. After I'd simmered down some the firt thing that came to my mind was the fracas that you posted about the other day. After all's been said and done I'm mostly glad that my situation didn't escalate into something similar.

[quote name='leahluvsherpups']:lol: :lol: Aren't little dogs the worst. I love "I punted the little b@stard". :lol: :lol:[/quote]
No actually the worst is when your walking your small dog and some big beast of a dog tears it apart. That's the worst. Happened to a neighbor of mine.

[quote name='courtnek']thats kinda what Canis was trying to avoid......the idiot owner coulda got his lazy arse off the porch sooner. it the pup hadnt been punted, he would have been confetti...

:o :o[/quote]

Oh I know I fault nothing that occured with Canis. You gotta do what you gotta do in a case like this. But I don't think there is anything funny about it. I think it's absolutely disgusting that an owner could be that stupid. It doesn't sound like something Canis was happy to have to do.

No I really didn't want to have to boot the little dog, as it was it was a sort of scoopy, flinging kind of a kick, a full contact kick would have done some damage. At the same time I don't feel bad for doing it at all either, I sure wasn't going to stick my hand down there after the fuzzy little pirahna. :-?

If its any consolation I've done the same thing before. I was out walking Nelson who was a Rhodesian ridgeback that was one of my regular doggies to walk when i was about 12 ish and this wee shit of a yorkie came up all teeth and spit and was ready to lay in. Nelson was trying to attack the thing so I shoved the yorkie with my foot. wee sod yelped and i got a rollicking from its owner. Even then I was aware of lead laws and her dog wasn't on a lead i was quick to point out to which she replied "Buttons is a well behaved dog and doesn't need a lead :o :roll: ".

[quote name='Kat']If its any consolation I've done the same thing before. I was out walking Nelson who was a Rhodesian ridgeback that was one of my regular doggies to walk when i was about 12 ish and this wee sh*t of a yorkie came up all teeth and spit and was ready to lay in. Nelson was trying to attack the thing so I shoved the yorkie with my foot. wee sod yelped and i got a rollicking from its owner. Even then I was aware of lead laws and her dog wasn't on a lead i was quick to point out to which she replied "Buttons is a well behaved dog and doesn't need a lead :o :roll: ".[/quote]

and if you hadnt done it, "Buttons" would be confetti in the past tense. Being the natural bitch that I am, even at 12, I would have pointed that out....I cant abide blatant stupidity..its one of my downfalls...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The score has changed: Me:1 - Little Fluffy Dog:1

The small fluzzy types seem to have it out for me. I was helping a client out the door today who had her hands full with a baby in one hand and a leash attached to a little Westie Mix in the other hand. Went I went to open the door she dropped the leash, and of course me being to tactful gentleman that I am, reached down to pick it up. I guess I was too tall for the little mongrel's taste, or I just got into his 'personal space', either way he decided to go for me. I'm pretty quick, so he missed my hand, but he bit onto my shoe when I stood upright. :madgo: So he didn't like me, I could live with that. What really got me hot was that there was NO correction. None. Nothing. All the owner said was, "Oh *omit name*, stop being so crabby", Gaaahhh! :wallbash: I wonder how long it's going to take before he bites the kid and ends up at the pound....?

ok I'M VENTING NOW!!!

it DOESNT MATTER what size the dog is. Dogs are DOGS! they are animals, not people in furry coats. THE RULES ARE THE SAME REGARDLESS OF SIZE!!

i get SOOOOO frustrated with this crap (what? you couldnt tell?)

and the big problem? these bites dont get reported. so the big dogs who bite come out looking like the bad guys, because THEIR bites are on record...

ARRRGGHHHHHHH

:evil: :evil:

Actually your lucky the westie didn't get you there is nothing pleasant about a westie's teeth. Have you looked at their teeth there nothing little about their teeth? My cairn terrier which basically the same dog had very large teeth and if he wanted to could take quite a big chuck out of you. I measured the teeth once and he had the same size teeth as my 50lb dog. He never did bite until he lost his sight before that he made friends wherever he went he was just a joy so it gets kind of frustrating when blanket statements about little dogs being the worst are made. Owners are the worst. He was a joy and the most brilliant dog I have ever met. I agree some small dogs are pains but that is only because of owners who don't know what they are doing.

Why is it everytime a large breed dog is involved in these kind of incidents especially pit bulls everyone says how horrible the owners are and poor dog for having to live with someone like that. Even when there is a death. But a little dog is involved and the little dog stories come out to prove how horrible they are and how they are the worst. No getting mauled and killed is the worst. Not talking to everyone just the ones that made statements that include all small dogs.

[quote name='Cairn6']Why is it everytime a large breed dog is involved in these kind of incidents especially pit bulls everyone says how horrible the owners are and poor dog for having to live with someone like that. Even when there is a death. But a little dog is involved and the little dog stories come out to prove how horrible they are and how they are the worst. No getting mauled and killed is the worst. Not talking to everyone just the ones that made statements that include all small dogs.[/quote]

I think that with the witch hunts that are a part of society these days, dog owners people tend to react defensively when a situation occurs with a large dog, particularly certain breeds. Honestly, to admit even the slightest natural behavioral issue with any breed, no matter what the size, is to lose our footing with BSL lobbyists. Of course we all know here that the problem always lies in the owner, maybe in an individual dog, and in most dog bite cases the animal is being kept improperly one way or another. The major difference between large dogs and small dogs is that no one bothers to carry on about how 'dangerous' small dog breeds and lobby to ban them. At least not yet... And in regards to that little Westie mix I ran into today, his problem is definately his owner. He needs to be in a home that understands dogs, when that woman's baby grows into dog chasing toddler I can almost promise you that the dog will be going through the ol' quarantine and PTS routine at the pound.

I do agree that it's derogatory to say that all little dogs are jerks, but I do think that it is more often the case in smaller dogs than larger ones. Alot of small breeds are terriers, or very terrier-like, which makes them born with an attitude to begin with. Another thing to keep in mind is that smaller dogs are more convieniently sized for puppy-millers, thus theoretically more prone to temperment issues due to irresponsibility on the breeders behalf. Then of course there is the small dog owner attitude that because their dog is small and not a threat to life and limb, that they don't need to have manners. Just some thoughts of mine on the issue.

whycome it's always a rottie thang? just kiddn. yes michele i know what you meant and i agree. if my dogs were to lick the "wrong" person they would be rioting for me to euthanize, but society as a whole seems to be more forgiving when the snap happy min pin breaks the skin. go figure!

Aww yes the little dog/little dog owners rant! Many times I've been out with Sassy & Zeus & we've had smaller dogs come running out a try to go after my dogs. Of course the bone headed owners think it's adorable that little mickey is going after two "Monsters" :x And if Sas or Zeus would've grab one of the little dogs, the owner would've chewed out for haveing "Aggressive Beasts", while little Mickey would be in the right Because he was defendin his property, excuse me, but the street is not your property, and your damn dog is off leash.. gah I hate that

Guest Anonymous

It's funny that I came back to this thread.

YOu all know I foster Anatolians that range in weight from 90-140 pounds and up to 30 inches tall.

I've fostered everything but toy dogs.

I go to pick up one of the Chi's to transport and she bit me. I have a nasty bruise on my arm. Took a lot of self control not to drop her when she did that. I DID tell the rescue. They are going to evaluate her.

[quote name='Canis erectus'][quote name='Cairn6']Why is it everytime a large breed dog is involved in these kind of incidents especially pit bulls everyone says how horrible the owners are and poor dog for having to live with someone like that. Even when there is a death. But a little dog is involved and the little dog stories come out to prove how horrible they are and how they are the worst. No getting mauled and killed is the worst. Not talking to everyone just the ones that made statements that include all small dogs.[/quote]

I think that with the witch hunts that are a part of society these days, dog owners people tend to react defensively when a situation occurs with a large dog, particularly certain breeds. Honestly, to admit even the slightest natural behavioral issue with any breed, no matter what the size, is to lose our footing with BSL lobbyists. Of course we all know here that the problem always lies in the owner, maybe in an individual dog, and in most dog bite cases the animal is being kept improperly one way or another. The major difference between large dogs and small dogs is that no one bothers to carry on about how 'dangerous' small dog breeds and lobby to ban them. At least not yet... And in regards to that little Westie mix I ran into today, his problem is definately his owner. He needs to be in a home that understands dogs, when that woman's baby grows into dog chasing toddler I can almost promise you that the dog will be going through the ol' quarantine and PTS routine at the pound.

I do agree that it's derogatory to say that all little dogs are jerks, but I do think that it is more often the case in smaller dogs than larger ones. Alot of small breeds are terriers, or very terrier-like, which makes them born with an attitude to begin with. Another thing to keep in mind is that smaller dogs are more convieniently sized for puppy-millers, thus theoretically more prone to temperment issues due to irresponsibility on the breeders behalf. Then of course there is the small dog owner attitude that because their dog is small and not a threat to life and limb, that they don't need to have manners. Just some thoughts of mine on the issue.[/quote]
Thank you Canis for addressing what I said maturely. I agree that in society large breed dogs especially pits are much more likely to have derogatory comments and that is an understatement. That wasn't the problem I had here. This is a site dedicated to dogs so with this group I expect them to be a little more aware of what they say in regards to dogs. This site also spends a great deal of time outraged about the treatment and stereotyping of pit bulls. So I guess I expected a little more maturity when speaking about a breed of dog. No matter what the breed.

To me this goes along the same lines of when discussing a pit bull mauling I find tons of posts describing how this lab bit me or I am more afraid of cocker spaniels then pits. So many personal anecdotes that have nothing to do with the breeds mentioned. Pointing your finger at another breed to make one look better is never a good idea. I expect more out of educated dog owners. So in this case I guess I expected more then big laughs at your situation. There was no poor dog for having such lousy owners that are going to get their dog killed. Just hahahaha that rotten little dog.

[quote name='Mei-Mei'][quote]Why is it everytime a large breed dog is involved in these kind of incidents especially pit bulls everyone says how horrible the owners are and poor dog for having to live with someone like that. Even when there is a death. But a little dog is involved and the little dog stories come out to prove how horrible they are and how they are the worst. No getting mauled and killed is the worst. Not talking to everyone just the ones that made statements that include all small dogs.
[/quote]

Cairn,
No offense, but I think you're too sensitive when folks make statements about little dogs. We've had discussions on this board concerning aggressive Labs, Pits and other breeds. No one singles out little dogs. And all through this thread people have placed the blame where it belongs--[b]on the dog owner[/b]!

The fact of the matter is that SOME small dog owners let their dogs get away with bad behavior that is exacerbated by the dog's inherent personality. A Westie, for instance, is by nature tenacious because it's a terrier. A spoiled Westie would be a tenacious biter.

There isn't a bias here against small dogs. I think you should be a little less sensitive. People at dogo love dogs no matter what size they are. :)[/quote]
Have you ever owned a terrier?