Dogomania

On the phone about a Newfie...

behle

Right now my husband is on the telephone right now with a woman who is looking for a home for a newfie that she got. She wants to find him a new home [b]because he is too big[/b]....

I will know more when he finishes the conversation... :o

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='izzy'][quote name='newfiemom']Are you serious???? What does she mean about too big?[/quote]

the owner's brain is too small.[/quote]

lol good one izzy!!

lol MAL i'm with you! yay! new pictures!

Okay...here's the scoop! The lady who has the dog now bought him from a breeder to keep as a pet. Her son developed a severe allergy to him so she found a buyer from Detroit. The woman purchased him and brought him back the next day!! Saying he was too big!! He only weighs 113 pounds. :-? So, the lady who now has him back is really wanting to sell him, but is beginning to realize that she will probably have to just try to find him a good home. (My sister works with this woman's friend - who has the most darling Berner...sigh. She called my sister this evening to give her the lady's phone number to let us know about the situation. She told my sister, "As soon as I heard about him I thought of Brenda and Mark!)

His name is Chewie. He's neutered but not chipped and is up-to-date on all his shots. They are bringing him over next Monday evening to meet the boys. I'm sure they will have a few conversations at their house over the weekend about finding him a good home vs. selling him. My husband and I are not wanting to purchase a dog, but if one comes along that needs a good home we are willing to provide that. If they decide to sell him instead, then that is their decision. But he just did seem to "fall in our lap" so to speak.

Monday seems awfully far away..... :o

Yeah, I thought that was a low weight for a newf. :-? The woman that brought Chewie back to his first owner would have taken one look at your biggest male, piled back in her car without him, and headed back to the big city!!

I am a bit excited about the possibility of having a newf in the fold (wondering about my hair-collecting stamina.. :lol: :lol: :lol: . My husband is thrilled at the prospect....saying things like, "It's up to you, honey." and "Wouldn't it be great to have three big dogs." Hehehe...he is so transparent!

My only worry is that the boys all get along. We will find that out Monday evening if everything stays in place on their end. I wouldn't think there would be a problem because my two are so mild-mannered and friendly.

8)

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='behle']Right now my husband is on the telephone right now with a woman who is looking for a home for a newfie that she got. She wants to find him a new home [b]because he is too big[/b]....

I will know more when he finishes the conversation... :o[/quote]

As sad as that is it is not that uncommon. People go see these cute fuzz ball puppies don't realize how it is to live with a dog. Especially one with a lot of hair. That's why Delta's second owner gave her up...too dang big.

Not that I care, but in Canada "Newfie" is a mildly derogatory term for someone who's from Newfoundland (one the Canadian maritime provinces and the namesake of the breed).

Do a web search on "newfie jokes" and you'll see what I mean.

Funny that they want to give him up because he's too big. 113 would seem too small to me.

:o I had no idea that newfie was a derogatory term in Canada. :o

I've always just used it because saying Newfoundland is such a mouthful...

I wish they would have brought him to visit this evening, but there was some family illness that they had to travel out of town for so the visit was scheduled for Monday evening.

My question is: Where is Chewie while they are traveling?

I am anxious to meet him.

We call them "newfs" for short, otherwise people would get confused.

[quote name='behle']:o I had no idea that newfie was a derogatory term in Canada. :o

I've always just used it because saying Newfoundland is such a mouthful...
[/quote]

I'll betcha nobody on a dog board is going to care that you call them Newfies. I do it, too, and never would have thought otherwise about it. It's kind of like talking about blowjobs and head jobs on grooming boards. Nobody even considers that it might have anything more to do with a dog than just blow drying hair, or trimming a head. :wink:

Absolutely impatiently tapping my toes here to get some news on this guy. Can't wait.

WAAAA! :cry: Chewie's owner called and left a message this morning. She has to reschedule his visit....and it won't be for another couple of weeks. My husband says he thinks something is fishy, but I don't agree because of what her message said.

Her sister is dying of cancer at her mother's home. Her mother is supposed to have help from hospice, but it is not enough so she needs to stay with her mother to provide the care that is needed. :cry: She was there all last night and the night before and sounds absolutely exhausted on the phone message. If I were in this situation I would make the same choice. My husband says we could have taken care of the problem with Chewie for her and then she wouldn't have to deal with it and could concentrate on her sister.

But I asked him to "think like a woman" and consider that Chewie's owner probably can't bear to give him up at the same time her sister is dying. :o

I feel sad for her and her family but at the same time I feel sad for postponing the meeting with Chewie. I only hope now that we DO get to meet him...

:cry:

Thanks for all your interest. I will keep you posted on any further developments.