Dogomania

To clone, or not to clone

I keep seeing that Genic Savings and Clone ad onthe forim pages and I got to wondering: Assuming that cost is not an obstacle, would any of you consider cloning your pets?

Personally I don't think I would. I'm certain that China wouldn't be near as good of a dog as she is if it weren't for her neglectful past. Zoey could probably be an even better dog if we had her since she was a puppy, but a clone just wouldn't be the same as Zoey.

Oh and just what do you name a cloned pet anyway? I wonder if alot of people who have cloned have used the same name.

[quote name='K']I simply dont believe you would get the same dog back again...and how could you with rescues?...you would have to be able to re-create every second of thier upbringing to lead you to the same end result....right?...[/quote]

absolutely correct, scientifically, not just my opinion. pets, like people, are the combination of nature and nuture. some things are inherited, like eye and hair color, skin tone, etc. alos, medical soundness or lack thereof. some personality traits are believed to be inherited as well,
such as stubborness. however, personality is molded mostly by day-to-day experiences. so if you wanted your cloned puppy to act exactly like
your nowmoved-on dog, you would have to recreate the exact same situations that the old dog was brought up with throught its entire puppyhood. and even then, there is no guarantee the cloned puppy would
act like the old dog. there are toomany variables involved.

as far as cloning in general, I think certain parts of it could be good. cloning organs that need replacement, curing disease, but not entire people, or pets. that scares me. there are SOOOOO many things that could go wrong with that, and too many evil people in the world....

:o

I dont know anyone personally, I remember reading about the sheep...

the procedure is something like taking the animals cells, and growing them, in an entirely sterile environment, with the correct nutrients, it simulates the birth process. the entire animal is grown in a womb-like environment and eventually "born" when full grown.

but the sheep, the cloned one did not survive very long, not as long as a sheep should have lived. there is something wrong with the process that they havent figured out yet. there is something in the natural birth, or the cell structure, or enzymes that they havent gotten right yet.
I would be afraid that if I cloned a pet, it wouldnt live as long as a regular pet....

[quote]I simply dont believe you would get the same dog back again...and how could you with rescues?...you would have to be able to re-create every second of thier upbringing to lead you to the same end result....right?...
[/quote]

Agreed. It would be virtually impossible to have the "same dog" again. Plus it's not just that there are other animals out there to adopt and that a cloned animal wouldn't be the same as the "original", but I think it underminds the true dog. I feel it's almost insulting to the original dog.

I'd never consider it...at least not on a dog. There are so many pups out there needing homes, I just wouldn't feel right creating another.

I was talking to my mom about this earlier, and she said if she had the money, she would do it. :o I was quite shocked, because just a week or so ago I asked her about it, and she rolled her eyes and said something like, "people are weird". Than here she is, saying she'd clone. I think it has alot to do with Takona (her dog), slowing down, and acting tired all of the time. She realises she's getting old, and she doesn't waqnt to loose her. I guess that makes some sense...

Cloning. I can see certain good uses to cloning. but cloning your pet isn't one of them. It would be like cloning your child. The natural cycle is to aquire your pet, care for and love it throughout its life and mourning it when it dies. Yes its very sad but that is life and it shouldn't be messed with.

I love my dog very much. He is a a better than perfect example of his breed (old english mastiff). Sadly, due to my intervention, he was never able to reach sexual maturity. I often think about cloning him. I know that it would not BE him. I think that I would like to see my dog raise his child and have the puppy as a companion after he's gone.

As far as 'playing God' goes, we have altered the lives of animals (not just pets) for our entire existance. What is the differance between cloning, reproductive assistance (in humans), and birth control pills?

I agree that there's nothing very natural about our existance on this earth anymore.

But the thing about cloning whole animals (not life-saving organs) that freaks me out, IMHO, is the desire to replicate a unique, individual living being. :-? What's the real point? :-? To save a life is one thing. To [i]duplicate[/i] one, that I just don't get. :-?

I would never clone my dog. An exact physical reminder of him that's NOT him would feel wrong and very, very depressing. :(