Dogomania

A Stupid Question!

Ash

I only see Smokie usually once or twice a month, over a day/two span. I live 3 hours away and go visit once a month. Everytime I go, I bring Smokie a toy. And he never forgets me.. He's always happy to see jumps on me, and he looks for his toy everytime! How good is a dogs memory? Just wonderiing.. I could tell he knows its me though.

Well, I have no scientific evidence but I don't believe Dogs ever truely forget someone they love. My son was gone in the militart for four years and yet Speckles, who loved him second only to my husband, knew him and immeadiately slobbered all over him and got in his lap and whimpered and just generally showed great joy and excitement . It was a surprise too. We did not know Steve was coming home

Its been proven scientifically that some dogs retain memories longer than others but don't worry, they certainly remember. The longest I have been away from Meg was around 3 months. I was terrified that she would forget me but I shouldn't have worried because she showed fine rightly that she didnt forget me with excited whimpers and bouncing up on me and her tail was wagging furiously. Not only that but she ran with me in the Home nations agility challenge and was placed well :D

I know they remember people. One of my brother's freinds scared Kavik badly when he was a pup. This guy only comes to town and visits 2 days a year but Kavik remembers him. He tucks tail and barks for the first 5 mins. of the guys visit and then if everything remains calm he will desperately want snuggles and attention from the guy.

When I listen to all these people talking about how long they have had to go without seeing their dog it really makes me sound kind of pathetic. I have had Toto my cairn for 5 years now and only had to be without him one night and missed him so much. I even take him on vacations. :oops: The other two stay with my mom but he is my buddy and the only one that behaves.

Free remembers my X even though she only sees him maybe once a year. I have read that the sense of smell is by far the biggest memory enhancement in humans. people remember things from early childhood just by smell, and babies recognize their mother by smell before anything else. so a dog, who's sense of smell is a bazillion times better than ours,
I cant see them not remembering the smell of someone who treated them kindly and they loved.

Guest Anonymous

i think it depends on the dog. Zoey is a moron. lol litterlly doens't remeber crap. I really hope she remebers her daddy when he comes home. Cody ont he other hand is SUPER smart. we visit the people we got him from every so often. we went about 6 months and we went to see them and cody got so excited and was jumping up and down pulling to get to them. then we went again about 9 months after that and he acted the same way. i dont think he'll ever forget!