Dogomania

Breed Misconceptions

eric

Funny story.

My wife is considered a bit of a dog expert by parents and other teachers at the school because, well, we have 4 dogs. So people are constantly asking her questions about dogs.

Last week, one of her parents comes up and starts talking to her about getting a dog. Conversion goes something along the lines of

"We're thinking of getting something small, low-energy. You know, something that won't be too high maintenance. We'll probably get a Jack Russel Terrier"

At this point my wife actually blurts out "Ha!", more from surprise at having "JRT" and "low-energy" used in the same sentence.

She then proceeds to gently inform the parent that JRT's are not really low energy dogs, but more like little nuclear reactors on 4 legs.

Thankfully, the parent has decided that JRTs are probably not the right dog for her family.

I'm glad the family decided against a JRT, imagine what a disaster that would be! What I really [i]hate[/i] is when people ask me "Oh, was your Golden already trained when you got her as a [b]puppy[/b]?" Seriously, people. If a horse, ferret or monkey can't train themselves as babies what makes you think a Golden can? You'd think they'd understand that dogs don't understand the human language.

Well I think that is a misconception about JRT's, not all are nuclear reactors on 4 feet.......... :roll:
I have 2 and know many more people with Jacks, and unless ours are not the norm, I would have to disagree with that statement. :wink:

And let me qualify that NO, they aren't the dog for everybody, I think you need to be an experienced dog owner, they are definitely not for the first time dog owner, and they do not put up with abuse from young children.
They definitely need the right training from the get go, and need to know they aren't the ones in charge. They are an extremely intelligent dog and will take over when possible.

My Jacks are loving, faithful companions that love nothing more than a good walk and a good snuggle.
They are my constant shadows............and I wouldn't be without one !! :angel:

Don't get me wrong, I think Jack's are great dogs but my (granted, somewhat limited) experience with Jacks is that they are fairly high-energy dogs and would not be what I would recommend to someone looking for a "low-energy" dog, especially a first time owner with young kids as this lady was.

My wife's collegue has one and everytime we have gone over it ran around us in a big circle for the 20 to 30 minutes we were there. I was starting to get afraid the dog was going to collapse. She couldn't even get him to stop and come over to greet us.

The JRT that was in Riley's puppy class was similar. That dog was wound so tight all it did was spend the hour whining and crying at the end of a very tight leash. All the other dogs would settle down after 5 minutes and lay down, but not this guy.

The brother-in-law of this collegue I was referring to was over at their place one day and decided that he was going to play with their JRT until he tired him out.

So he grabs a tennis ball and heads outside. 3 HOURS later he gives up, basically can't throw the ball anymore, and the JRT still wanted to play.

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']My uncle has a JRT and that boy just keeps going and going LOL. he's great though, love him to pieces!

[/quote]

[quote name='eric']The brother-in-law of this collegue I was referring to was over at their place one day and decided that he was going to play with their JRT until he tired him out.

So he grabs a tennis ball and heads outside. 3 HOURS later he gives up, basically can't throw the ball anymore, and the JRT still wanted to play.

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']My uncle has a JRT and that boy just keeps going and going LOL. he's great though, love him to pieces!

[/quote][/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats how Rimshot, my uncle's JRT is, i played and played wit him when I was up there and he just wouldn't tire! :lol: he would grab onto his rope and you could pick him up and he would just hang forever

I love JRT's though, i hope to have one in the future

Well, from my personal experience (hands on) I have to say the super hyper ones are not the norm. :-?
Sassy was top of her class in beginner obedience and advanced obedience, and mine don't do any of the repetitive behaviours I'm hearing about in the previous posts. That sounds to me like a ocd. :(

I would like to add to that just because they are short haired does not mean they don't shed. They shed like crazy all year round and you have to get used to being covered in little white hairs !! :lol:

Maybe its the training?

[quote name='Debbie']Well, from my personal experience (hands on) I have to say the super hyper ones are not the norm. :-?
Sassy was top of her class in beginner obedience and advanced obedience, and mine don't do any of the repetitive behaviours I'm hearing about in the previous posts. That sounds to me like a ocd. :(

[/quote]

[quote name='eric']Maybe its the training?

[quote name='Debbie']Well, from my personal experience (hands on) I have to say the super hyper ones are not the norm. :-?

[/quote][/quote]

Could be Eric, but my 2nd Jack Maisy never went to training (of course I used the techniques I learned on her too.....) and they were from entirely different breeders. So I don't think I got lucky.......
The going around in circles, is considered repetitive behavior and is not good in any breed. A lot of dogs that come from Pet Stores have this from being confined in small spaces. :wink:

Just because the dog is hyper doesn't mean it can't be trained it doesn't surprise me at all she was the top of her class they are very intelligent. People act like that is such a negative trait but I love that their active dogs. It sounds like what you did was find a way to channel the energy by taking her to training classes and training her at home. I think the ones that do all the repetitive behaviors just don't have a constuctive way to channel their energy.

My cairn was a high energy puppy and would go and go. Then when we started a really good training schedule and had a great teacher who knew a lot about terriers he was so quick to learn. The instructor was very impressed with him. There was a Jack Russell terrier in his advance class and the two of them were the stars of the class. These little terriers are highly intelligent. I have never met a dopey terrier they like I said just need an owner who is experienced enough to channel the energy into constructive activities. Sounds like you have done a fantastic job with your dogs.

Toto is going on 5 in a couple of months and he isn't going and going anymore unless there is activity in the house. He is always interested in what we are doing. He watches up whatever we are doing and has to be right there with us. Every dog I have ever had before after puppyhood would just lay there in the corner when your putting up the Christmas tree or sweeping the floor. He is interested in everything. I bet your dogs are too.

[quote]a dog does not have to go to training - training starts as soon as you bring him into your house when you let him know how to be a good boy/girl[/quote]
Exactly!
You should have heard what people told me about Husky's before I rescued mine :roll: I even had one person tell me it was cruel to keep my dogs in the house at night! :o they said they should be kept outside cause the indoors will make them depressed and too hot. I couldn't imagine not having my dogs sleep with me at night. I do keep a fan going (ceiling and floor fan) just in case they do get too hot. But, they seem to get on fine and love being indoors snuggled by the TV with me.
I was also told you could never let them off leash. I play with them in my yard off leash all the time and go for hikes off leash. Maybe its cause I don't have full blooded huskies, who knows. I was also told they are bad at obedience and the recall command. Proved them wrong once again. I think if you really want to you can mold any breed into the perfect pet. You might have to bend a little yourself, but it usually works out in the end if you have structure and love. :wink: of course there are some breeds you would really have to be a previous dog owner to be able to understand them better. :lol: