Dogomania

Does anyone add yogurt or cottage cheese??

ObedienceGrrl

I have come across people that add plain yogurt or cottage cheese to their dogs' kibble. They do not feed raw or cooked.

What does everyone think about this? And what are the pros or cons?

I have two large GSDs, who are already on Glucosamine/MSM and other amino acid type supplements (I could list them if needed). Would the extra calcium be beneficial?

I throw just about any thing (healthy) in with my dogs food. I add yogurt, cottage cheese, sardines, salmon, eggs, my leftovers from a healthy meal, cooked meats, cooked liver, chicken hearts. You name it, if its good for me, then its good for my dog. I think a strict kibble diet is unhealthy and boring. Heck, Id hate to eat the same thing for the rest of my life. How awful would that be. :o

Meant to mention as well, some times as a special treat they get frozen yogurt cubes. they love them. I also give my dogs veggies as treats (carrots, apples etc.) less calories and better for them than most doggy treats.
As far as too much calcium in your dogs diet, myself personally, I don't feel as though it would be over doing it by giving yogurt and cottage cheese along with the Gluc/chon msm supple. as long as you don't over do it. For myself I try not to over do any thing, my dogs also are on preventative doses of Gluc/chon/msm, I still give them yogurt and cottage cheese, it doesnt seem to bother them. The calcium the body gets from real foods is probably better quality than what you can give in supplement form.

both cottage cheese and yogurt are great additions to a dog's diet, regardless of whether you feed homemade or kibble. [b]especially[/b] if you feed mainly kibble, fresh, live foods increase the quality of a dog's diet quite a bit.

extra calcium is especially beneficial if the kibble has a higher phosphorus content.

cottage cheese is richer than yogurt (keep that in mind and reduce the amount of kibble you feed a bit and keep a close eye on your dog's weight) and generally doesn't have the benefit of live cultures, and it may have a higher remaining lactose content, which some dogs can't tolerate. yogurt is a fully fermented dairy product that is generally even tolerated by lactose intolerant animals. see what works for you.

in his book "dr. pitcairn's complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats", dr. pitcairn has some excellent recipes specifically for supplementing kibble with fresh foods and also one for a "do it yourself" supplement mix that i find a [b]lot[/b] better than many commercial supplements you can pick up at pet stores.

my small guy (30ish lbs) gets about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of yogurt for breakfast. i feed a homemade diet (both raw and cooked things) and his morning meal is usually rather light, so the yogurt is a nice addition.

you don't have to feed it daily, but to have a real benefit on your large dogs i'd feed about one cup at a time at least 2-3 times a week. you could also alternate feeding yogurt and fresh eggs, the eggs are a great source of vitamin A.

• 2 weeks later...

My dogs each get a heaping tablespoon of yogurt each morning. I just bought a new container today. I was going to buy the store brand as it was $1 cheaper than Dannon. The only kind the store brand had was vanilla flavored, I considered it. Then I saw the sugar content, 33g per serving. TOO much sugar. I then considered Lite and Lively, it had aspartamane (sp?) in it. Nope. Went with regular Dannon, 13 grams of sugar per serving and no artificial sweetners.
I just plop the yogurt on top of their kibble and they all love it. When the yogurt is almost gone, either girl will 'wear' the container in order to lick out as much as possible.

Well, they love it! I got some organic yogurt....plain....at the store today. I just let them lick the spoon first. I didnt' want to waste it if they weren't going to touch it, ya know? Hunter can be funny with trying new things. He's like a kid.

But they practically swallowed the spoon! So I just put a few spoonfulls on at first. I figure I should go slow....and not just glob a whole bunch on at once. They just loved it. So I'm thrilled! Glad they enjoyed it....

Guest Anonymous

Hi all,

This may sound like a stupid question but I am gonna ask anyway lol:

What is Kibble? Is it just dry dog food or is it some type of dog food?

Thanks for your input on this as I really appreciate it!!

K.

Personally, I stay away from flavored yogurts due to the excessive sugar content. I won't use lite yogurts due to the artificial sweeteners. This is why, as posted above, I declined to buy the store brand of yogurt or the lite kind, too much sugar and/or artificial sweeteners cannot be good for the dogs.
What could be done, if your dog likes certain berries or flavors, perhaps add a bit of fresh fruit or a tiny drop of vanilla, not necessary but if you'd like to give them more variety, I guess this is an option.