Dogomania

Bitter Apple & barking!

Horsefeathers!

For you, court! :wink:

Bear in mind that I don't claim to be an authority on anything, but this has worked on my little gang of hooligans. :P

I give them the first few barks "free." I figure they're dogs, that's what they do. Then I'll say, "thank you" or "enough." If they continue, I just spurt a little Bitter Apple in their mouths. I try to communicate with my dogs. I want them to think that by barking they're telling me they want a "reward." The reward is the spray. I'm always perky and upbeat about it ("ok, here ya go!!" :D :D :D )and I don't use it as a punishment. I want them to think they're asking me for a treat and the treat is the Bitter Apple. So they think I'm a dumb*ss for misunderstanding them, but it works like a charm. Now they mostly settle right down once I say "thank you" or "enough" and if not, all I have to do is reach for that bottle and they pucker right up and don't make another peep.

For mine, it's important that I don't make it a punishment since I have some special needs dogs (that's putting it lightly) who don't respond well to punishment training. That's why we make it a treat. Either way, they don't want it and will work hard to avoid it and they just think I'm a moron. :roll:

I loved this last time you posted it, I think its a great idea, I may have to go get some bitter apple and see how it works here. Kavik is very sensitive so punishment is not really good and Zaphod never gets it when your angry with you he just looks at you like - Why ya shoutin' guy? So the bitter apple "reward" may work well.

THANK YOU HF!! that might work with here. She is so sensitive, if you yell at her she pees. she was not properly socialized, and while she loves me to death, she is afraid of everyone else. she is much better with Kyle, now goes out and tries to love him, but he gets PO'd when she bays at him for using the bathroom.

Good luck, all of you! One thing to be aware of, though... make sure you give one little light spritz. You can do it as often as you need to, but only a teeny spritz at a time. My husband got a bit carried away with "rewarding" them and they'd sputter and cough like he was strangling them (he means well, but it was almost like he thought he was macing them :-? ). Just raise up that lip and give one teeny tiny "spptzz" straight on the tongue if you can. They'll taste it and it'll work without taking their breath away and, more importantly, without frightening them (hopefully).

Just remember... perky perky perky!! :D :D :D

THANK you! LOL that is brilliant. I second this, what is it and where do you get it?

I don't need it for Buddy (oh he is so angelic we are still pinching ourselves!) :angel:

However down the road or if friends and family need advice I love this bitter apple idea if done ONLY in the way you describe.

Just wanted to bring this up to say I have jsut started trying this - have only done about 2-3 times - I used to use "enough" as a cue to stop, but it wasnt workign anyway obviously so to stay with the whole "perky/positive " thing I changed it to "thank you!" ..... it defientely has an impact - with only a timy spray Bailey is behaving like a total drama queen! spitting, sputtering, all but playing dead! LOL :lol:
we're not "cured" yet, but on our way I think!
Thanks again for the great idea!