Dogomania

spey and neuter!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i've noticed that a common opinion around here is against amateur, or "do it at home" breeding, and i can partly relate to that.
but i still am a little suspicious of neutering and speying every dog that hasn't a licence to reproduce. i mean, they are persons, too, and ii hesitate to neuter my dog. seems a bit harsh to do this only to make _my_ life easier. but, i've started thinkin about it, if i ever choose to take another dog...
i got my dog as a child, and i didn't know anything back than, we kindda both learned on the way. where i live, it is still an exepction to have your dog neutered or spayed.
and when i think of it, my doggie has had a nice life so far, plenty of love, health care, good food, rarely has been left alone in the house, plenty of exercise, hunting rabbits and wild ducks, playing with his dog friends. the only thing he is to be unhappy about is his sex life.
there is pack of stray half-wild dogs near the river where we frequently take our dogs for walks, and he has been injured by males of the pack twice in his lifetime, running after bitches in heat. so, i've tried to find him a girl of his own, and soon a friend of mine invited me to intrudce him to her cocker spaniel. but as much as he tried, he couldn't do the job. he's very clumsy and heavy on his short little legs. so we tried with a basset hound, but with as much success. we tried a cuple of times after that, and he still has no children.
and every time a bitch is in heat in our neigbourhood, my heart brakes seeing him so misarble, and i'm affraid to walk him unleashed, cause he could get his little ass kicked again by some james dean let roam arround the block alone.

on the other hand, my best friend has a shi tsu girl, and he found her a boyfriend, she had a littre not five month ago. the puppies are all healthy and happy in their new homes, we went to visit every one of them last week. and she was such a good mommy and happy with her babies :) they were too cute!

so, what can you gays tell me about your own experiences with neutering? (well, not your own, but your dog's, to be exact :lol: ;))

your male doesnt NEED a female! :o He doesent NEED to have babies! It wont help his disposion ANY to have either. On the other hand it will help his disposion to be nutered. He wont get hurt by other dogs when there is a bitch in heat because he shouldnt be tring to have his way with her....It would also help his health as it will take away the chance for some cancers that he could get while intack. It helps with roaming and agression. It is OVER ALL better for his health to be nutered.

Guest Anonymous

sorry for causing such a shock...it may be the most logic and natural thing to you, but here there are many people who still think that a dog is happy enough if he is alive, and keep their dogs tied up in hills, a mile from their house, bringing them their lunch leftovers every two days. i know it isn't an excuse, and i'm not against the idea, but it's still relatively new to me.
i'm thinking and learning about it. but there are VETS who don't know what to advise me!
some people say it changes a dog's personality, even.(?) good to know about the diseases.
can the procedure cause some health issues? what is the best age to do it?
what exactly they do? tie up his ...uh.."little tubes" that conduct the sperm or..?
i mean, you talk about reducing agression, and that would mean low testosteron, and to do that they would have to remove the glands?

Guest Anonymous

A dog sex life...hmmm...let me ask my 5 females and two males if they miss their sex lifes....

Hold on a minute now...

Well the general thought is NO they don't. The females don't miss all that bleeding and males chasing them...and the males well they don't mind not having to worry about protecting their territory...Oh yeah my girls say that they are glad they don't have to worry about Pyro, C-sections or that any of their babies will end up in a shelter being killed, (Uterine infection that can kill), and the guys well they are very glad they don't have to worry about prostate cancer, or worrying that their offspring will end up in some sort of situation where they will be killed in the end.

Oh yeah they totally surgically remove the testicles...but if you have a problem with that there is always....[url]http://www.neuticles.com/[/url]

It doesnt change the personality of the dog but it usually reduces agression because of the loss of testosteron. They remove the testicals from the dog so he wont get cancer of the testicals. It will stop the want to roam so he wont get diseases or injuries from dogs he may run in to and he wont get lost because of running off. There really isnt anything to worry about from getting the pet fixed there is a blood test the vet may want to do if the dog is older. A pet can be fixed at most any age. I had my girls spayed when they were around 6mo. Some people like to wait till around 2 yrs for large breed dogs for the growth plates to finish growing and all. I havent had to deal with that cause I dont have LG dogs.

It wasnt so much that your dog wasnt fix but that you had gone out of your way to find him a girl that he could mate with that I was shocked about.... Im not angry or trying to be rude Im sorry if i came off that way but I work at a shelter and see SO many unwanted and uncared for dogs and it really hurts....

"sex" for a dog is not the same as "sex" for a human. Very few species (except us, and dolphins, yes dolphins, believe it or not) have sex for "pleasure". Most animals have sex to mate, and reproduce. they dont "choose" to have sex cuz their mate is particularly lovely that night, or wearing an erotic perfume. They mate,because the female is in heat, and sends out pheremones announcing the fact. the males dont get "aroused" until they encounter that smell. they are NOT people.
Most of the erotic perfumes actually try to emulate the smell that pheremones give off. Something we cant actually "smell" by the way, although if it is a true "pheremone" it is said we can detect it, without knowing it.

your dog does not need to have sex, and in fact, there are so many cancers, illnesses, drawbacks to NOT being fixed that we here believe it is in the best interests of the dogs to get them "done". Unless you are show breeding, or field breeding, there is no reason to breed your dog. And as said, its in both yours, and the dogs, best interests, health, behavior, demeanor and stress-wise, to have them done.

[quote name='defar']

so, what can you gays tell me about your own experiences with neutering? (well, not your own, but your dog's, to be exact :lol: ;))[/quote]

Well I had Magic spayed shortly after we go her (from the pound on her last day before they were to put her to sleep). Magic's mother's owner was a very irresponsible dog owner (who should never ever own a dog) and allowed her to have a litter(s?) not giving a single care to what happened to the pups let alone giving a life time commitment to the pups like a responsible dog breeder/owner would do.
I was so nervous about leaving my baby for her spay surgery and it was an over night one. I got her back the next day and she was her same self like nothing had ever happened to her but at least now she can't make babies that will end up in the shelters to die. :(

In a dog pack often only the top dogs breed so not breeding will not be a problem for your dog. Dogs unlike people don't feel their lives are lacking if they're not getting any.
The health risks for remaining intact, both direct and indirect, far outway the risks of desexing. Desexing is a common and safe procedure, it is quite simple, especially for males. The internal bits of the scrotum are removed, as these are like a completely bypassable sidetrack in the dogs system there is no risk to other functions.
I have had three male dogs desexed. Two did not seem to notice even within hours of removal. No pain or problem. One appeared to have some mild discomfort at first but we gave him half the pain meds our vet provided when we got home and after that he was fine.
The one male did appear less . . . domineering. I presume this would corelate to aggression. The other was a pup and no behaviour changes were noticed. The other was an adolescent and I'm not sure if there was much change in behaviour, perhaps a bit less spazzy and a bit more affectionate. Additionally when bitches in heat went by they were less stressed.
And dogs are not persons IMO, they are dogs. They are loved, valued, have rights, have feelings etc but they are not people. They are better than people and are better to us than we deserve. BUT we have to make the right decisions for them and the right decisions for our dogs are not similar to the right decisions for persons.
Good for you for asking questions. Sometimes people are reluctant to ask because they're afraid people will disagree with their position but I think its good to try to make sure your doing the very best for your dog.

Guest Anonymous

why, thank you all for answering.

[quote name='DogPaddle']In a dog pack often only the top dogs breed so not breeding will not be a problem for your dog. Dogs unlike people don't feel their lives are lacking if they're not getting any.
[/quote]

this one was good :)

i have to say every one of them makes sense. guess i should learn a little more before
getting another dog. i mean, i so had a wrong picture about it all when mom was getting this one, that i acually progressed significantly over the years.
:oops:

oh, and tnx for that link!

Guest Anonymous

In my next life i'm comming back as a dolphin :o :lol: :lol:

Seriously though i agree with what everyone wrote.. My Cody was fixed when he was 12 weeks old, he does'nt miss them, and still licks there like he's got something to be licking.. :lol: it's much safer for them and cuts down on the health problems if he were to have his nmanhood, also my dog needed to be fixed, as he is already not in the breed standard, being DEAF and having too much white on him, we dont need anymore deaf aussies in this world...

I have two dogs, both female, and 2 cats, one male, one female kitten. All are fixed except for the kitten, she's still too young yet. When she gets old enough she too will be done.

thank you for asking. we care very much about the unwanted cat/dog population in our world. we wish everyone would take the time to try to find out, like you did.

:D

All 3 of my "Grrlz" are spayed and my cat is neutered.
It's the best for all of them health-wise. :wink:

I don't want to seem rude, but where are you from and what kind of Vet do you see that can't advise you on the health benefits of Spaying or Neutering your pet ? :-?

You said your dog has short legs.....what breed or mix is it ??
What is his name ??
Good luck and I hope you decide to get him neutered !! :D

I grew up with a beautiful cat born in 1954 she lived untill 1968 from being a year old she had two litters a year untill she died
Mum said she could not afford the money "to have her seen to"
mum would push kittens on anyone who only half wanted one
This makes me feel very strongly about haveing both male and female fixed-- both of my sisters feel the same