Dogomania

Famous Dogs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Me and my friend are compiling a list of 25 REAL LIFE famous dogs. We have only got 11 in our list. Please help us to finish the list. I willn't tell you what our 11 are yet ....to make it more FUN. Please help us!

There will be no prizes, this is just for fun!

Rex from Inspector Rex (Austrian detective show)
Rin Tin Tin
Lassie (ha ha)
Kane The Wonderdog (Australian)
Dog On The Tuckerbox (another Australian dog)
Benji

What exactly do you mean by real life? Does that mean TV dogs and movie dogs don't count? Cartoon dogs?
It really would help if you would tell us what you already have. :)

Guest Anonymous

OK, IM talking about REAL LIFE REAL dogs. Not actors pretending to be real dogs like London does in the Littlest Hobo. Im talking about dogs that are famous for doing things beyond the call of their dog duties! I'll give you a few for free ...but I need to keep my full LIST a secret from someone else that might be cribbing off me to beat me!

Laika - first dog in space
Pickles - found the Football World Cup when it was lost in 1966

Did Gander the Newfoundland storm an enemy bunker on D-Day? I think i read about a dog doing that somewhere!

How about Greyfriars Bobby? The little Skye Terrier that guarded over his late master's grave for 14 yrs, til he died. I saw the monument in Edinburgh a few yrs ago...its beautiful.

Also how about Chips? The collie shepherd mix. [quote]A member of General George Patton’s Army, Chips waded ashore at Sicily with the other soldiers. An enemy machine gun nest suddenly opened up, however. Chips, unmindful of his safety, lunged into the nest even though a bullet had already pierced his body. When American soldiers came up to Chips, he had one enemy soldier by the throat. The rest had either fled or surrendered.Chips would have gone down as the most decorated dog in history, but his medals caused an uproar among the American public.[/quote]

Checkers, Pres. Nixon's dog, who became the subject of much controversy

Pres. Johnson's beagle that he lifted up by its ears

Barney, Pres. Bush's scottish terrier (very cute webcams at [url]www.whitehouse.gov[/url])

Mille, first Pres Bush's spaniel who wrote a book

Buddy, Pres. Clinton's dog, as undisciplined as his "dad" and who also had a sad end (though fatal in his case)

Fala, Pres. Roosevelt's Scottish Terrier

I just read that our future Pres. Kerry has a GSD... :evilbat:

Hachiko was a very famous Akita.
Hachiko was the faithful companion to Dr. Eisaburo Ueno who worked in the Agricultural dept. of the Tokyo University. Ueno commuted daily by train, and his faithful Akita would accompany him to the train station in the morning, and would walk to the train station alone at night to greet his owner as he stepped of the train.
Unfortunately Dr. Ueno died one day of a stroke at the University. Hachiko was only 1.5 years old at the time. The next day and EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE REMAINING 7 YEARS OF HIS LIFE, Hachiko would go to the train station at night expecting his master to get off the train.
If that is not a true example of loyalty, I dont know what is.
A bronze statue was erected in the Shibuya railroad station at his favorite waiting spot. Here's a pic:
[img]http://www.media-akita.or.jp/akita-inu/gifs/shibuya-hachikoL.gif[/img]

Stubby the APBT

World War 1 had just ended on the day that Stubby marched proudly at the head of the 102nd infantry as they passed in review before President Woodrow Wilson. Stubby was an American hero. He was also a brown-and-white American pit bull terrier. Mascot and member of the 102nd, the young dog had served his men and his country in 17 battles in France. He had saved hundreds of lives, and his loyalty and courage had inspired thousands of soldiers. Now he delighted the president with his customary salute, a paw raised ceremoniously to his face.

Stubby was destined to become the most decorated war dog in U.S. history.

But he was just a scrawny stray puppy when Private John Conroy picked him up on the campus of Yale University in 1917. The lonely young private was at Yale for training before being sent to the European front. Soon he and the pup were inseparable. When deployment orders came, Conroy managed to smuggle the patchy pup aboard the troop ship bound for France. Once aboard, Stubby quickly won the hearts of all the men of the 102nd. They even taught him to perform his trademark salute by raising his right paw to his face. When finally discovered by Conroy's commander, the little stray was so beloved by the troops, he was allowed to stay to keep up morale.

But once in Europe, Stubby had to grow up fast. Within weeks of their arrival in the European theatre, the 102nd was under fire on the front lines in France. And it was there that the young pit bull began to really prove his mettle.

Stubby reached the trenches of the front line in February 1918 in the midst of a horrific battle. Although the dog was never trained to cope with such nightmarish conditions, he calmly endured a mounting barrage of shelling for the first 30 days. In fact, Stubby's caretakers were amazed by his cool under fire, and absolutely stunned when he voluntarily ventured out into the battle zone to seek out and comfort wounded soldiers caught in the crossfire. News of the little dog's heroism and fidelity reached the French village of Domremy, and after the fighting subsided, the women of the town presented him with a hand-sewn chamois coat decorated with Allied flags and his name stitched in gold thread. (1)

During the next 18 months Stubby carried messages under fire, stood sentry duty, and helped paramedics find the wounded in "no man's land". He gave early warning of deadly gas attacks and was credited many times with saving his entire regiment. When Stubby found and helped capture a German spy who was mapping a layout of the Allied trenches, he was awarded the honorary rank of Sergeant. When seriously wounded by shrapnel, he was sent to the Red Cross hospital for surgery just like any other soldier. Once recovered, the gutsy pit bull returned to his regiment and continued to serve until November 11, 1918, the day the war ended.

Upon his return to the U.S. after the Armistice, Stubby was greeted by a wildly cheering American public. Recognition of his valor came from all directions. Named a life member of the Red Cross and the American Legion, he was awarded many medals including one by General John J. Pershing. Called to the White House several times to meet Presidents Harding and Coolidge, he led more regimental parades than any other dog in history.

Stubby spent his final years with John Conroy the beloved soldier who had rescued him so many years ago. He died of old age in 1926.

[quote name='Smooshie']How about Greyfriars Bobby? The little Skye Terrier that guarded over his late master's grave for 14 yrs, til he died. I saw the monument in Edinburgh a few yrs ago...its beautiful.
[/quote]
I went to the monument too. That was my favorite story when I was growing up.

Lad of Sunnybank. While the books written by Albert Payson Terhune were fiction, there was a collie named Lad from this large kennel in NJ. The Terhunes had MANY collies but I believe Lad was the most famous.
Here is a link to Sunnybank
[url]http://www.sunnybankcollies.us/collies.htm[/url]

Guest Mutts4Me

I'm so frustrated! I went to find my picture with Balto, and it has disappeared. It's one of the few pictures of me that I like, too.

The ones I can think of have all been mentioned. I've seen movies about Chips, Barry, Balto, and Lad :)

[quote name='"K"']And then there is Weela the APBT who saved people as well as livestock

I remember Weela.
She was a very sweet girl who smiled alot.

I use to board my horses at the same ranch as the Watkins did.
I remember the flood - ugh it was horrible.
So many of us waded through it in the beginning to get our horses out.
Of course afterwards we needed Hepatitus shots. :-?

As for famous dogs wasn't there an Akita who went to a train station daily in hopes to see his dead master?

What's the name of the Service Dog Lab that aided his blind master our of one of the 9-11 buildings?