Dogomania

Why do you always lock primrose threads?

Guest Anonymous

Who is Sue Sternberg? She calls herself "Hitler" and is a big Star Trek Fan. :D

One of her former employees has a few words to say, particularly about the Temperament testing SS has come up with.

[url]http://www.webspawner.com/users/phonyroniredbone/[/url]

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='cheekymunkee']AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She SAID it!!!!!!! Run for your lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debby[/quote]

Oppsss sorry :oops:

I also take it I need to explain about her...will I get in trouble for that?

Someone beat me to it :-)

Oh yeah there is also a yahoo group dedicated to keeping her test out of shelters.

[quote name='mouseatthebusstop'][quote name='Tammy']Sue Sternberg.[/quote]
:niewiem:[/quote]

inventer/peddler of the "assess a hand"... plastic hand on a stick that shelter workers use to test food aggression. Of course, the dog knows the hand is plastic, so you could just use a stick.....

Also peddler of the notion that showing a dog a doll will test whether the dog is child aggressive...

Also peddler of the notion that 75% of the dogs in the NE are unadoptable (so she goes south go import them)

Also peddler of the notion that you can't adopt a pit bull out to anyone with other dogs, cats, or children, or to anyone who lives in a neighborhood with other dogs, cats or children, or who lives in a neighborhood where someone might object. (I am not making this up: it's in the intro to her "Controversial Pit Bull" tape)

I suppose she does deserve credit for popularizing the idea that shelters should temperament test dogs. Unfortunately her methods (especiallyas applied in so called no kill shelters) result in the deaths of untold thousands/millions of potentially adoptable dogs.

Crazy, go to her website for Rondout Valley Kennels, and then go check out her former employees site. If you can get ahold of it, also watch the HBO documentary "Shelter Dogs".
[url]http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/c_adams/[/url]
I have seen the almighty Sternberg live, and I walked out of the lecture with about a dozen other trainers :evil: . What she did bordered on animal abuse, and what she knows about canine behavior you could fit on the head of a pin and still have room for angels to dance :evilbat: .

[quote]People like her should be banned from being Star Trek Fans!!!! [/quote]

Being a LONG time Trekkie myself, I couldn't agree more. :evil:

Funny thing about Ms. Sternberg...she is so adament that any dog showing aggression of any kind must die, yet was pushing a known child biter as her own "Pet of the Month." :o

[quote]Also peddler of the notion that showing a dog a doll will test whether the dog is child aggressive... [/quote]

In that case, both of my dogs should be child killers. You should see what they do to dolls. In fact just last night, as Shenanigans was cuddling neighbourhood kids, he saw a little girl's doll and I had to make sure he didn't gut it. The children escaped happy and slightly slimey.

[quote name='Taurus and Jada'][quote name='pLaurent']LOL - my dog too feels "All Stuffies Must Die!" but has never had a problem distinguishing them from children. :D[/quote]

:lol: guilty here also!!! No stuffed animal has ever lasted longer then 5 mins in my house...[/quote]

Here too! I bought a stuffed bear for a friend of mine who is having a baby. I took it out of the bag & laid it on my bed with the rest of the stuff I bought her. Munkee walked over, looked at everything, grabbed the bear & took off!! He brought it back just a couple of minutes later-headless. :cry:

Debby

Guest Anonymous

While I agree with the above, I have to point out, being an owner of a food aggressive dog (who has changed dramitclly, so I'm proud of him! :) ) If there was a dog I'd never met and didnt' know if it was food aggressive, and went to take it's dish away, I'd rather use a stick or "plastic hand" of some sort first. It HURTS to be bit by a food aggressive dog :o I'd rather the plastic hand get bit than I! If the dog left it alone, THEN I would try to go for the dish, but only if someone else had the dog on lead too! So I don't get what the big deal is over the plastic hand! :-? I'd rather it get bitten than I!

Other than that, yes, Sue sucks :lol: But do we have to call her SS? Those are MY innitials! :o :puppydogeyes: And I really want to work with dogs in a feild of behavior, I hope people dont' start calling me that and think I'm evil like her :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='sashagirl']Hazel, I think the difference is that a food aggressive dog will no doubt bite the plastic hand OR a real hand to protect it's food... In which case the plastic hand is good.

But... Just because a dog bites the plastic hand, doesn't mean that it will ALSO bite the real hand... And certainly doesn't mean that it should be doomed to death...

I hope that makes sense. I am tired.[/quote]

Yes, it makes sense :D And I do agree, that's why I said that if the dog doesn't bite the plastic hand, it should be tested with a real hand next :wink: Little steps are what dog training is all about right? Just like training a new trick, you start with something small and work your way up, the same goes for this. :D Like while trying to teach Coal it's okay for me to take his dish away, we started with me just sitting by him while he ate, and eventually built it up to me petting him while he ate, then putting a cookie in his dish, then finally taking his dish away, putting a cookie in it, and giving it back :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Ope! I just noticed the new Sue Thread :oops: Before posting a reply about Sue on here, will everyone check out the new thread: [url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=14214[/url]

I kinda wish now I hadn't asked... :o

Horrible stuff, I would have preferred not to know :cry:

Montie would be deemed "child aggressive" by her, he will make an effort to tear any thing stuffed apart - although usually unsuccessful its the though that counts, right? :roll: