Dogomania

This is why Pit Bulls do not belong in dog parks.

I'm currently in the middle of serious training with Chaos since she has become very dominant with some dogs. Usually I don't go to the dog park but its the best place for training so we went. After about an hour Chaos was being very good and her best doggie friend came along so I let her off leash to play when these three pitties came along. Georgous dogs, and very friendly with people but as I was petting one of them I saw Chaos growl over a stick, and the dog attacked. It couldnt have lasted for much longer then 30 secs by the time I ran over but it seemed to last forever, for a couple seconds they seemed matched but chaos went down and the other dog had her by the throat when the owner pulled his dog off and left in a hurry. :x I will admit it was Chaos' fault for growling but he didn't even stick around. I'm pretty sure she's ok, but when I felt her her neck was bleeding. The problem is her coat is black so I couldn't see where the blood was coming from or a wound, but after a few minutes she was playing fine with another dog so I assume she's ok. Lesson learned though, no more dog park for me or her.

Chaos is a pit mix, I love the breed and don't blame the dog in the slightest, I blame the owner, but they just don't belong in dog parks. I realized it could have easily been reversed with her doing the attacking, so I will no longer be bring her to parks. Please if you happen to have a Pit Bull don't take your chances and find out the hard way. For your dog and the breed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']I'm currently in the middle of serious training with Chaos since she has become very dominant with some dogs. Usually I don't go to the dog park but its the best place for training so we went. After about an hour Chaos was being very good and her best doggie friend came along so I let her off leash to play when these three pitties came along. Georgous dogs, and very friendly with people but as I was petting one of them I saw Chaos growl over a stick, and the dog attacked. I....[/quote]

I agree that pit bulls (except puppies) don't belong in dogparks, but that's not what your story is about. Any number of dogs, regardless of breed, might have attacked Chaos over possession of that stick, particularly in response to the challenge Chaos issued by growling. I'm not saying that Chaos behaved improperly by growling to warn another dog away from her possession, just that many dogs don't respect other dog's property. I had my own experience with a border collie trying to steal my dog's toy which almost precipitated a fight.

Your story is about why dog parks can be dangerous places. Different dogs have different ideas about what kind of behavior is proper. Toys, food and attention can all provoke fights.

I agree guesttoday it could have been any breed, Chaos and my Border Collie Riley have gotten into a few tussles, but the problem is most fights don't end in the death of a dog (not saying they don't of course it is possible). But the dog had her by the throat, a few more seconds and she would most likely be dead now and I blame myself for putting her in that danger.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]I had my own experience with a border collie trying to steal my dog's toy which almost precipitated a fight.
[/quote]

thats funny, cause, my border collie was attacked by a pittbull at a dog park.
My dog wasnt growling or anything like that. I guess it was just jealous of my dogs beauty :D

Guest Anonymous

yep!
Troll is your favorite word!
If you dont like what somebody says, well shucks!! Call them a troll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeppers, that oughta hurt em where da sun dun shine!

Guest Anonymous

i just wanted to say that my dog was also attacked at a dog park by a pit.
i dont know what else your talking about.
I dont hate SHEPHERDS,,,,, i think AUSSIES are beautiful!

Guest Anonymous

LC I'm sorry what happened! That idiot owner could have at least stuck around to make sure everything was okay!

As for the troll...the only Shepherds that are beautiful are the ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD!

Guest Anonymous

That's terrible that the guy just ran off..what if your dog needed to be rushed off to the animal hospital? I'm sure he wouldn't give a damn..nor would he even offer to pay your bill...that's just selfish and he shouldn't even be owning those dogs...never know what he's hiding if he just ran off like that... :-?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']That's terrible that the guy just ran off..what if your dog needed to be rushed off to the animal hospital? I'm sure he wouldn't give a d***..nor would he even offer to pay your bill...that's just selfish and he shouldn't even be owning those dogs...never know what he's hiding if he just ran off like that... :-?[/quote]

While I agree that it was irresponsible of the pit bull owner to disappear, I am not sure who should pay whose bill in a situation like that. Was the dog who "started" the fight the dog who growled first or the dog who attacked first?

And several people have good points regarding how many dogs can have disagreements over food, toys, etc. The essential difference with pit bulls, however, is that they have been intentionally bred to be oblivious to the normal dog language and to not respond to the normal ways that dogs settle these little disagreements. This is the reason they don't belong in dog parks.

The wolfpack (which is the baseline for all dog social behavior, because that is dogs before humans started messing with them) is not a very peaceful place. Wolves snarl at each other and snap at each other quire regularly. Yet actual injuries are rare and deaths are rarer still because most of this is posturing and show and wolves read each other well and back down when they have offended each other. In most dog breeds, (where dog aggression is not particularly valued) the ability to read other dogs and to retreat if a dog snarls is relatively intact. Indeed, many breeds are bred for even better social skills than found in the wolfpack, because they are useful for most uses dogs have. Beagle breeders don't want beagles who can't get along and are constantly ripping their packmates apart. Brittanies need to be able to run at a field trial with another dog they have never met and concentrate on getting birds, not on trying to kill their bracemate.

Pit bulls are unique, because they are quite likely to be missing the equisite canine interaction skills that most other breeds have. This is because a dog who has those skills (for example, backing away from a dog who postures to avoid a fight) is useless to a dog fighter. He sneers at such a dog and calls him a "coward" and a "cur." (Of course, any wolf who isn't a coward doesn't last long enough to breed--wolves are consumate cowards). While most dogs have the ability to stop fighting if the othre dog submits, this is the LAST thing the dog fighter wants. He wants a dog who will keep on fighting no matter what submissive signals his opponant give, and that is what he has bred for. Most dogs know how to inhibit their bites. Horrific looking dog fights (between non-pit bulls) quite typically don't result in any injuries at all. This isn't because the dogs COULDN"T put holes in each other, they could but they don't. But dog fighters breed dogs specifically for the ability and desire to inflict injury quickly and with great devastation.

Pit bull breeders have intentionally bred dogs who can't communicate in the language that other dogs use. When a four year old bitch snarls at a rough adolescent dog, she means to say "Respect me, I am your elder. Do not body slam me like that" and she expects him to say back "Yes Ma'am, I'm sorry" The pit bull, however, may well take that snarl as saying "I am ready to fight." and he responds "I am a pit bull and I DON'T back down when I am disrespected. Let's fight."

Dog parks and other places for offlead dogs are fun places. The fact that they are should not go there is just one more handicap inflicted on pit bulls by the irresponsible people who think dog aggression is cool.

primrose

My 2 growl at each other over toys, and stuff once in awhile & as pack leader I remove the object it becomes mine. I also don't take my guys to the off lead parks, do to the size of my dogs, and I have no idea the temperments of the other dogs there. And LC, I'm glad Chaos is okay, and don't blame yourself over what happened.

Ok I just dont need the anger right now! So please Im begging you to leave, otherwise I will go off on you and youre lucky I dont actually know who you are because I WOULD come and kill you! Thats how angry I am from all the crap you stupid guests have started!!!!!

Gah! Anyway, Lucky Chaos IM sorry about what happened and I think that youre right about pits and dogparks. Although I really dont like dog parks at all because of irresponsible owners who dont think when they let their dogs off leash. I hope training in the future goes well with your dog! :D

[quote]The essential difference with pit bulls, however, is that they have been intentionally bred to be oblivious to the normal dog language and to not respond to the normal ways that dogs settle these little disagreements[/quote]

[quote]Pit bulls are unique, because they are quite likely to be missing the equisite canine interaction skills that most other breeds have.[/quote]

BULL SH*T.

[quote]Most dogs know how to inhibit their bites. Horrific looking dog fights (between non-pit bulls) quite typically don't result in any injuries at all. This isn't because the dogs COULDN"T put holes in each other, they could but they don't.[/quote]

This MIGHT be true in some cases, but I for one have a dog agressive border collie who once she's in a fight WILL NOT back down. No matter how submissive the other dog is, she ignores it and doesn't stop. I'm happy to say we have her dog agression very well under control now, but saying that other dogs (non pitties) don't back down when in a fight is ridiculous.(sp?)

[quote]Pit bulls are unique, because they are quite likely to be missing the equisite canine interaction skills that most other breeds have. This is because a dog who has those skills (for example, backing away from a dog who postures to avoid a fight) is useless to a dog fighter. He sneers at such a dog and calls him a "coward" and a "cur." (Of course, any wolf who isn't a coward doesn't last long enough to breed--wolves are consumate cowards). While most dogs have the ability to stop fighting if the othre dog submits, this is the LAST thing the dog fighter wants. He wants a dog who will keep on fighting no matter what submissive signals his opponant give, and that is what he has bred for. Most dogs know how to inhibit their bites. Horrific looking dog fights (between non-pit bulls) quite typically don't result in any injuries at all. This isn't because the dogs COULDN"T put holes in each other, they could but they don't. But dog fighters breed dogs specifically for the ability and desire to inflict injury quickly and with great devastation.

Pit bull breeders have intentionally bred dogs who can't communicate in the language that other dogs use. When a four year old bitch snarls at a rough adolescent dog, she means to say "Respect me, I am your elder. Do not body slam me like that" and she expects him to say back "Yes Ma'am, I'm sorry" The pit bull, however, may well take that snarl as saying "I am ready to fight." and he responds "I am a pit bull and I DON'T back down when I am disrespected. Let's fight."
[/quote]

Where do you come up with this crap? Why is it that you think EVERY pit bull breeder & owner is a dog fighter? What breed of dog do you own?

crazy_canine, I know this person is obnoxious but please, don't let her get ot you. I realize it's not P.C. to laugh at the mentally ill but SOME of her babbling IS quite hilarious! Take her with a grain of salt, she knows NOTHING of what she speaks.

Debby

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='primorse']The essential difference with pit bulls, however, is that they have been intentionally bred to be oblivious to the normal dog language and to not respond to the normal ways that dogs settle these little disagreements.
primrose[/quote]

OMG does anyone else smell that? oh man... it reaks...
OF BULL SH**!

Where the 'ell did you get that information? :roll:

UGH, your crap is really starting to tick me off Primmy! ALL DOGS SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE!!! :roll: They can even comunicate with wolves! Only to a certain degree though. Some dogs speak more "Wolfish" and some less. Usually it's the smaller breeds that speak less, and therefore have less comunication skills when it comes to warnings, but no dog has had this "bred out of them". Sibes, believe it or not - it's not just a coinkidink that they LOOK more like a wolf - speak closest to "Wolfish" but all dogs speak "Dogish" INCLUDING PIT BULLS!

If a kid is born and raised in a home with two deaf parents who comunicate by sign languge, that kid will learn to comunicate and the language of sign language. He is not deaf himself, but he has picked up the language. Same goes for dogs.

Guest Anonymous

LOL, the ignorance cracks me up, and ticks me off. And you can know how to put your words down on a screen and still be ignorant.
Statements are always made about the bully breeds by people who are just blowing smoke out their arses. People who really, and obviously, know nothing about the breed. Prim is one of em. (Oh, by the way primrose should be primerose....) Im gonna say it again... I completely understand why prim is not welcome back on the other boards.
:roll:

[quote]haven't you guys noticed yet that Primrose likes to argue?[/quote]

Yep!:p As to where Prim gets her information about pit bulls (a breed she doesn't own and will never own yet is obsessive about for some bizarre reason) - she gets it all from Animal Cops! Oh, and from watching dog fighting videos, for "educational purposes only". :o

while I dont agree with all of what Prim wrote, is it not correct to be wary with a Pit around other dogs? The "fight" may never happen, but isnt there always that chance? That's what I have read, here and other places. Wouldnt it be in everyone's best interests to not let the dog run loose, if the potential is there? I have only let Free go once in a dog park, and that was only after she became a little calmer around other dogs since Laurel came. Even that day was a judgement call. She didnt seem particularly hostile to any of the dogs there, so after a while I let her off, but if she had, I wouldnt have. Her and Laurel have spats too, but they will obey when I order them to stop. I dont know for certain that Free would obey that order around a strange dog.....

I'd just hate to see something bad happen to anyone's dog is all...

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='courtnek']while I dont agree with all of what Prim wrote, is it not correct to be wary with a Pit around other dogs? The "fight" may never happen, but isnt there always that chance? That's what I have read, here and other places. Wouldnt it be in everyone's best interests to not let the dog run loose, if the potential is there? I have only let Free go once in a dog park, and that was only after she became a little calmer around other dogs since Laurel came. Even that day was a judgement call. She didnt seem particularly hostile to any of the dogs there, so after a while I let her off, but if she had, I wouldnt have. Her and Laurel have spats too, but they will obey when I order them to stop. I dont know for certain that Free would obey that order around a strange dog.....

I'd just hate to see something bad happen to anyone's dog is all...[/quote]

Court I totally agree with you, and agree that that is a good point from Prim, but it seems to be the ONLY real one she's ever made. She uses a LOT of false information, such as the crap about how Pit Bulls can't read other dog's warning signs :roll: :roll: THAT'S what ticks me off, when people spit out stupid stuff they claim as the truth, and all it does is start an argument, which is ALL Prim Does. I Honest To God would do everything in my power to get her banned if only most of everyone else saw it the same as I do, but I only know of some, and some of the well respected members here want her around because she is "merely sharing her opinion", true, but she's also giving false information. Not only that, but all she does is come here to argue, a BIG no no in the Dogo rules don't ya think?

I agree with you Shara. The continual sniping is getting to everyone, I know. My post was really more of a question, than an agreement with prim.

Am I wrong? I have never owned a Pit, and I'm only going on what I have read, heard, and been told. I dont have any "hands-on" experience, so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

:-?

No, you're not wrong. Pit bull owners DO need to be more diligent with their dogs. We DO need to be aware at ALL times of the potential for problems with our dogs & their interactions with others. No experienced bully breed owner will deny that.

However , we DO NOT need to have such blatant misinformation thrown in our (or any one else's) faces on a constant basis throughout Primmies posts. Does she EVER have any links to offer as proof of the "information" she posts? Does she EVER post on any thread other than pit bull threads? Nope. Never. She only posts on threads that pertain in some way to pit bulls & their owners. With every post she makes she mentions "dog fighters" as if ALL pit bull owners & breeders are such. I have been a pit bull owner all of my life & not ONCE have I ever attended a dog fight or wathced a dog fight video. My dogs were NOT bred by dog fighters & I don't appreciate her insinuations.

Debby

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']She uses a LOT of false information, such as the crap about how Pit Bulls can't read other dog's warning signs :roll: :roll: ?[/quote]

And what would you say if I told you that I observe the very behavior she describes in my own bulldogs? Some either can't, or they blatantly ignore what the other dog is telling them. Considering I have two unrelated adults that exhibit this behavior, I find it REALLY hard to believe that I am the ONLY bulldog owner on this board that has ever noticed this :roll:

And in all honesty, I really don't see what is so horrible about primmy's post. Sure, she can be abrasive and jabbing, but overall what she said was true. Just for fun while I'm waiting for my lunch to finish cooking, I'll break down her post and comment on it, as a responsible bulldog owner.

[quote]While I agree that it was irresponsible of the pit bull owner to disappear, I am not sure who should pay whose bill in a situation like that. Was the dog who "started" the fight the dog who growled first or the dog who attacked first?
[/quote]

I vote for the original poster being liable for damages to her own dog. Entering a dog park is assuming risk or injury and disease, IMO.

[quote]And several people have good points regarding how many dogs can have disagreements over food, toys, etc. The essential difference with pit bulls, however, is that they have been intentionally bred to be oblivious to the normal dog language and to not respond to the normal ways that dogs settle these little disagreements. This is the reason they don't belong in dog parks.
[/quote]

My dogs have a few dogs that they can interact with. They belong to friends and family, and all are pretty submissive. Dogs that would stand up to them would be toast. The people that own these dogs love mine, and understand the risk that my dogs pose, and we never EVER leave them alone together.

Sometimes, my dogs get too boisterous for the other dogs, and the other dogs give obvious signs that they want to STOP. My dogs don't, and I step in to put the breaks on my wild beasts. Allowing my dogs around friends & families dogs means I have to watch the body language of the other dogs just as much if not MORE than my own dogs, since my dogs either don't understand or ignore what the other dogs are telling them.

They behaved this way around my late Pug, they behave like this around Harry, the new Malinois pup. Harry's breeder mentioned that her adult Malis are rather creeped out by the boisterous behavior of bulldogs (BTW, she is a big fan of the breed). When Harry got here, he was TERRIFIED of the big headed monsters that ran, jumped and pounced, and spent a good deal of time running and ducking for cover. Now that he has been here longer, he's learning to take the smackdowns, and has delivered a few cannonball attacks of his own. He still, however, occasionally reverts to the old duck and run for cover move. It will be curious how his breeder's dogs will react to him when he is older. I have a feeling that due to him "growing up bulldog," he will be more in-your-face and physical with other dogs than most Malinois.

Anyway, I'm going off on my own. Now back to task...

[quote]The wolfpack (which is the baseline for all dog social behavior, because that is dogs before humans started messing with them) is not a very peaceful place. Wolves snarl at each other and snap at each other quire regularly. Yet actual injuries are rare and deaths are rarer still because most of this is posturing and show and wolves read each other well and back down when they have offended each other. In most dog breeds, (where dog aggression is not particularly valued) the ability to read other dogs and to retreat if a dog snarls is relatively intact. Indeed, many breeds are bred for even better social skills than found in the wolfpack, because they are useful for most uses dogs have. Beagle breeders don't want beagles who can't get along and are constantly ripping their packmates apart. Brittanies need to be able to run at a field trial with another dog they have never met and concentrate on getting birds, not on trying to kill their bracemate. [/quote]

Very true, dog aggression in either of those dogs would be a huge detriment to the task at hand. This would be similar to a human aggressive bulldog.

[quote]Pit bulls are unique, because they are quite likely to be missing the equisite canine interaction skills that most other breeds have. This is because a dog who has those skills (for example, backing away from a dog who postures to avoid a fight) is useless to a dog fighter. He sneers at such a dog and calls him a "coward" and a "cur." (Of course, any wolf who isn't a coward doesn't last long enough to breed--wolves are consumate cowards). While most dogs have the ability to stop fighting if the othre dog submits, this is the LAST thing the dog fighter wants. He wants a dog who will keep on fighting no matter what submissive signals his opponant give, and that is what he has bred for. Most dogs know how to inhibit their bites. Horrific looking dog fights (between non-pit bulls) quite typically don't result in any injuries at all. This isn't because the dogs COULDN"T put holes in each other, they could but they don't. But dog fighters breed dogs specifically for the ability and desire to inflict injury quickly and with great devastation.[/quote]

I don't think this is exclusive to APBTs/AmStafs though. I have seen similar results in a wide variety of bull & mastiff breeds.

[quote]Pit bull breeders have intentionally bred dogs who can't communicate in the language that other dogs use. When a four year old bitch snarls at a rough adolescent dog, she means to say "Respect me, I am your elder. Do not body slam me like that" and she expects him to say back "Yes Ma'am, I'm sorry" The pit bull, however, may well take that snarl as saying "I am ready to fight." and he responds "I am a pit bull and I DON'T back down when I am disrespected. Let's fight."[/quote]

Yup, that's pretty much what my dogs would say to a strange dog. To dogs they are familiar with, they continue to body slam even if the other dog is lashing out with teeth. And, that's where I step in, since my dogs are apparently the Beavis and Butthead of the dog world.

[quote]Dog parks and other places for offlead dogs are fun places. The fact that they are should not go there is just one more handicap inflicted on pit bulls by the irresponsible people who think dog aggression is cool.[/quote]

I'm not sure that I would agree that they are "fun," but I've never really experienced them before. I was raised with dogs that didn't play nice, I grew up and got dogs that don't play nice. Harry's breeder selects against dog aggression, and the breed isn't exactly known for being terribly dog aggressive. Even so, I'm not sure that I will be taking Harry to dog parks.

Also wanted to address this point that HAzelNutMeg said...

[quote]UGH, your crap is really starting to tick me off Primmy! ALL DOGS SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE!!! They can even comunicate with wolves! Only to a certain degree though. Some dogs speak more "Wolfish" and some less. Usually it's the smaller breeds that speak less, and therefore have less comunication skills when it comes to warnings, but no dog has had this "bred out of them". Sibes, believe it or not - it's not just a coinkidink that they LOOK more like a wolf - speak closest to "Wolfish" but all dogs speak "Dogish" INCLUDING PIT BULLS![/quote]

No, all dogs DON'T speak the same language. Different breeds DO interact differently, different breeds have different mannerisms.

Harry relates best to my mom's Kelpie mix. I wonder why that is?

[quote] Horrific looking dog fights (between non-pit bulls) quite typically don't result in any injuries at all. This isn't because the dogs COULDN"T put holes in each other, they could but they don't. [/quote]

Really, Primrose? I wish you had been on hand to explain that to the 3 yr old Akita who attacked my 12 year old dog with such ferocity that my dog needed surgery. HE was full of "holes". Oh, and he was walking away from the Akita when the attack occured, so I guess it's not just pit bulls who can't read (or ignore) signals from other dogs? Do you disagree?

Well, mine of course aren't pit bulls, they are Staffybulls. But they are a very similar breed, and I have to say that they [i]do[/i] understand and react to warning signals, and they also use them. Elmo in particular is [i]very[/i] clear with his signals to other dogs to go away and leave him alone. I have often had to remove him from situations because the other dog was ignoring Elmo's warning signals, and if I expect him to not get aggressive about that, it becomes my job to protect him from the situation.

I see a [i]lot[/i] of dogs, of various breeds, who "speak dog" very, very badly. Bully breed dogs are as capable of learning appropriate "dog language" as any other dog. Sure they are rowdy, boisterous, and obnoxious. So are most Labs. They are still perfectly capable of responding appropriately to social cues if they have had a chance to learn them. Tully has been put in her place by a Lab, by a Basenji, and by a Lhasa mix, just to name a few. Tully's response to being snarled at is to retreat behind me, with a sulky expression on her face.

She's still a bulldawg, though, so if the other dog actually [i]attacks[/i] her, it's on! But as long as all they are doing is communicating she gets it fine... she's just not subtle, and needs a broad hint. (Elmo is much more subtle, but tends to avoid other dogs anyway because he basically just doesn't like them very much)