Dogomania

pitbulls

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hmmmm']??no one else finds this fishy??
Anyway....
Its great your dog gets along with the other animals BUT, you should always seperate your pit from the others when you are not home. Anyone owning any pit should have the thought that they may be coming home to a dead dog. And it wont be the pit. Just becasue your dog hasnt shown any animal aggression does not mean its not there. It can turn on at any age on any day. I have had dogs that were 5 or 6 before even showing any interest in other dogs. He may never show aggression to the other animals but you should always assume he might.
As for the American Bulldog and American Pit Bull Terreir, they are completely different breeds.
Also, inbreeding is not what makes a dog "crazy" or have a bad temperment. As it was stated by someone else, most APBTs are inbred, and pretty heavily at that.
You said your dog is of the Mayfield line... Who is he out of? His dame and sire?
I mean no offense but... I dont understand why you continue to get pits if the neighbors keep killing them?! Why would you continue to subject dogs to being poisoned? I find this extremely irresponsible. Especially since you have done nothing to try and stop it. I mean, you have lost 10 dogs in 8 years?! Thats more dogs than I have lost in the past 15 years and I keep several at a time!!![/quote]

my gess is u did not read the whole thread. Anyways I think u should read the rest of it. before comming at me like that. well if u think u dont trust your dog around others then don't. My dog i trust and i trust what my vet said. Aggression mmmm well i not worried about it. Some dont like the breed i gess u are one of them. I am proud to say I LOVE MY PIT BULL'S. :agrue:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='kendalyn']Did you find it hard to get home owners insurance? I know there are restrictions on the amount of coverage you need to have. Ohio can be a tough state to own a pit bull.

BTW, my sister plays soccer there for Ohio State! Go Bucks![/quote]
home ins i rent i have rent ins it cover one dog bite a year. ya they are hard on the breed but some of the people around here who have them u will see why. abuse them and stuff. My dog stays inside all the time i take him out to potty. Today he tryed to go home with the mail man. he is funny. i took him for some play time at pet smart he loved it now he is sleeping. go bucks

[quote]Aggression mmmm well i not worried about it. Some dont like the breed i gess u are one of them. I am proud to say I LOVE MY PIT BULL'S. [/quote]

Just because a person believes that the APBT is more prone to dog aggression than some other breeds it does not necessarily mean that they don't like or are against the breed. Most of the people here who own an APBT believe in the potential for dog aggression and are prepared for it. They love their dogs as much as the next person but are just prepared for what could happen and go with a "better safe than sorry" philosophy.

wow lots has happen since i last check this.

i'll try to put my 2 cents. in. or try to emphsize what has already ben said so that future readers of this post can learn something

dog agressive dogs. require a more responsible owner.

in general if you own an apbt you need to know that it was bread to be dog agressive there for you need to be extra extra responsible.

i'm soo freaking mad lately i want to scram. i live in colorado and it is pit bull maina on the news. people and their dogs being attacked left and right. the latest was a women and her labs. the pits were left alone in a back yard with a 3 FOOT HIGHT FENCE.. i was like how retarted are these people. i ended up looking up the story on the web and in a little note at the bottom of the article it says that "the dogs a being examined by a vet to see if they are actually pit bulls" girrr..

to guest. if you think your dog is passive and is a lover not a fighter. think again. i though my dog was the bigest puss puss ever. other dogs would growl and snap at him when he was trying to play he would simply just bounce away and find something else to do or actually try to keep playing. and dodge the snaps bouncheing around like a little goofball.
never once to stop and give any sort of posture.

but one day he was put into a situation not sure what it was. but he grabed a hold of my cousins american bulldog. and it was really freaking scarry. my little dog latched on to his face shaking for all he was worth. you do not want to have to see that. it scarry as hell and i kept having flashes backs to that sean. luckly there were just a few holes and they closed up and heald in a few days.

you dog may never ever have any porblems but just the fact that you own a pit bull you have to step up and keep up the extra responsibility.

or you might be on the news.

hey rotten pit do you know we are on 4 dog boards together. its funny i see you everywhere.

Guest Anonymous

Buster I knew i recognize you from at least 2 others! I didnt want to say anything for fear it was just coincidence... thats funny. You know what is really weird though the feel of all the boards is different. the way that we interact and debate is different on all of them. I like it like that.

DP- actually most terrier breeds are dog aggressive. most of the bullys will have dog aggression mentioned right in the standard but lots of other dogs JRTs come to mind are dog aggressive too. its just due to the size and popularity of the APBT it comes up more often, with the dog fighting heritage... they are thought to be more dangerous. there are lots of other dog fighting breeds out there too... Tosas, Akitas, chow chows, argentine dogos, and others.

Its not a specific APBT trait, its a dominant breed trait.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]my gess is u did not read the whole thread. Anyways I think u should read the rest of it. before comming at me like that. well if u think u dont trust your dog around others then don't. My dog i trust and i trust what my vet said. Aggression mmmm well i not worried about it. Some dont like the breed i gess u are one of them. I am proud to say I LOVE MY PIT BULL'S. [/quote]
:lol:
Yes, I did read the entire thread. I find this rather funny...[quote]Some dont like the breed i gess u are one of them.[/quote]
Especially since I have been breeding this breed for several years and own nothing but full blooded APBTs.
I dont understand why you are getting so defensive. I didnt come at you in any "wrong" way!? What I posted is all general information about the APBT that any owner should know. If you dont think its possible for your dog, you shouldnt own a pit.
I speak all this from experience. (Do you have any with the breed, other than the death of 10 in the last 8 years?) I have seen dogs be cold until they turn 4,5 or 6 years old. You saying you know it wont happen because you trust him is ludacris!! And how can a vet tell if a dog will be dog aggressive or not?!

I know spelling isnt important here[size=2]but I do find this fishy[/size]. May I ask your age Julie?

Guest Anonymous

DP- But of course :P

Hmmmm- Preach on! These are the ABCs of pit bull ownership. not some debatably idea, cold hard fact. If you ask me, even the most docile of them will fight IN THE RIGHT CONDITIONS. just because that situation hasnt come, DOESNT mean it never will. If your vet is telling you that, get a new vet... he setting you up with bad info and probably knows very little about the breed.

I'm sorry, I LOVE pitbulls, I have one, but this is where people go wrong: they ARE a TERRIER. They will tend to be AGGRESSIVE toward other dogs. You cannot love that trait out of them. MY pitbull is not aggressive toward MY dogs, but she is a pitbull and has met dogs that, for some reason or other, she just hasn't like the cut of thier jib. she has started fights with other dogs. Some pitbulls are not aggressive toward dogs--SOME ARE. You cannot love and baby that out of them.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Peng1zrule']I'm sorry, I LOVE pitbulls, I have one, but this is where people go wrong: they ARE a TERRIER. They will tend to be AGGRESSIVE toward other dogs. You cannot love that trait out of them. MY pitbull is not aggressive toward MY dogs, but she is a pitbull and has met dogs that, for some reason or other, she just hasn't like the cut of thier jib. she has started fights with other dogs. Some pitbulls are not aggressive toward dogs--SOME ARE. You cannot love and baby that out of them.[/quote]well i gess i just have to prove all of u wrong.

Guest Anonymous

I hope you do prove us wrong instead of us proving you wrong.
You must not realize, if you are wrong, the damage it can do to the name of the breed.
Just dont be one of those people to say..."But he was so nice and he never hurt anything before. Hes always gotten along well with the other animals." And then continue to put down the breed itself because you didnt think he would ever turn on another animal.
I dont remember who it was but when I first came here I remember debating about allowing a pit bull to run loose in a dog park. I tried to inform the person of what could happen. They were sure their dog wouldnt hurt another dog. I think in the end they came to their senses (not because of me but from RESEARCHING THE BREED) and stopped allowing their dog to run free.
I wish you would see that we are not saying anything bad about your dog but are informing you that APBTs are usually dog aggressive. Even if he isnt, what will happen if one of the other animals "steps on his toes" and you arent there to control the situation. Even if you are there do you know how to break up a dog fight, without injuring yourself or the animals? ALSO, [color=red]you need to think about what will happen if your dog attacks and kills someones family pet.[/color] Especially since it could have been prevented if you would only have read a few books about the APBT.
I really think you should do some research yourself. Find something out about the breed you claim to love. And maybe try to up the average lifespan of your dogs. (That still really irks me!)
[size=2](Dont mean to be rude or start anything but I think this poster is full of it. Doubt she even has a pit. If you all havent noticed the spelling of her dogs name is different in some of her posts.)[/size]
Well, I have to go walk two dogs for two miles, each, on their leashes, at seperate times, yes American Pit Bull Terriers, and put em on the treadmill. You all have a good night.

K - you crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Julie I hope you prove everyone wrong too... however if it does end up going the other way the consequences can just be too dire. I personally don't think it's worth the risk not to take adequate precautions.

No one is saying lock your dog away and treat it like a monster - just use a bit of common sense and be that extra bit vigilant when he is around other dogs.

Guest Mutts4Me

Julie - Why are you getting so upset?

No one's saying anything bad about your dog. No one's saying that your dog is one day going to "turn" and kill your other dog. No one's saying that one day your dog is going to "turn" and attack another dog. No one's saying that your dog isn't the baby you say he is.

All people are saying is that your dog is a pit bull, and pit bulls have been bred for a very long time to be dog aggressive. And all people want is for you to fully realize this.

That means you should separate your dogs when you're not there [i]just in case[/i]. And you should take extra precautions when taking your pit bull out in public [i]just in case[/i]. No one's asking you to treat your dog like a monster, because he isn't one. Even if he did get into a fight, he still wouldn't be a monster, because deep down, that is their nature. When provoked, they have the full potential to respond with dangerous force.

You know last year in Detroit, a pit bull died because its owner didn't take the necessary precautions. He tied his pit bull outside with two American Bulldogs that the pit had always gotten along with. This was not a "mean" pit bull. This was a very fat, very friendly, very laid back pit bull. The American Bulldogs were the same way. But suddenly, a fight broke out. No one knows what happened, someone must've looked at someone a little cross-eyed, and the pit bull tore the American Bulldog's face to pieces. It was a white dog with a red head. The pit was very overweight, and less than half the size of the American Bulldog, so he got torn up pretty bad too. Since his owner couldn't afford surgery, the pit died. Not because he was a bad dog, but because the owner assumed that because he was a nice dog, and the other dogs were nice dogs, everything would be okay.

You're yelling at people who own pit bulls! You're yelling at people who work very hard to make people understand what great dogs pit bulls are! You're yelling at people who have done a lot of research and have a lot of experience learning what a pit bull really is. You're yelling at people who accept pit bulls for what they really are and love them for it.

Some times I honestly wonder which ones are worse... The thugs who try to pass off perfectly nice dogs as mean and scary, or the kind hearted people who are in denial about pits' true nature and thus act irresponsibly.

[quote name='K']Thanks for the help there Malamum...my mistake :oops: ..I was trying for a while (well all night really) to work out how a hedge cut into the shape of a chicken could hold a dog in :lol: ..... :oops: :oops:[/quote]

???? you have hedges shaped like chickens???

:o

Guest Anonymous

well i am not trying to yell at noone. Its just not all dogs are alike. they all are dif in there own way. I walk my dog on a leash he is never out of my sight. not just couse his is a pit but couse of alot of other reasons to. If he was a poodle i would do the same. ya i know they where breed to fight but not all of them can. i intend on never leting a dog fight happen. i am always there with him. I am just saying not to let any dog around another one is kinda depressing. they need to be around others to learn how to act. even when he is around another dog he is on a short lead. i have better controle of him. i don't let other kids in my yard around my dogs and my dog stay's in cage intell i am able to watch him. Them 8 pup i made a mistake with i do feel bad. But i did learn from it. I love all dogs and cats. I do watch him like a halk but if he was going to trun my watching him would not help. But i do think he is good and he will allway be. But that will not make me not keep an eye on him.

[quote name='Julie']well i am not trying to yell at noone. Its just not all dogs are alike. they all are dif in there own way. I walk my dog on a leash he is never out of my sight. not just couse his is a pit but couse of alot of other reasons to. If he was a poodle i would do the same. ya i know they where breed to fight but not all of them can. i intend on never leting a dog fight happen. i am always there with him. I am just saying not to let any dog around another one is kinda depressing. they need to be around others to learn how to act. even when he is around another dog he is on a short lead. i have better controle of him. i don't let other kids in my yard around my dogs and my dog stay's in cage intell i am able to watch him. Them 8 pup i made a mistake with i do feel bad. But i did learn from it. I love all dogs and cats. I do watch him like a halk but if he was going to trun my watching him would not help. But i do think he is good and he will allway be. But that will not make me not keep an eye on him.[/quote]

it's great you intend on never letting a dog fight happen. it's true not all pitbulls "can" fight. I've been in those shoes before. They don't fit. Calliope started a fight that left her with a scar on her face. To deny the nature of the dog is as big a crime as to slander it... Awhile ago, someone posted a newspaper article in which someone had allowed thier pit to roam, and it had killed another person's pet. She said that the incident taught her about "the nature of the dog, and how they can turn." She likened the breed to a wild animal--because she had denied what these dogs can, and will, do. Her ignorance/denial caused TWO dogs to die.

Guest Anonymous

wow thats messed up. I hope they where not your dogs. [u]The Point i am trying to make dogs need all breed need to be around other dogs[/u]. But kept on a short lead like i do. Someone said that i am not watching my dog. Well that person dont know me. [u]And to clear it up I AM and never let him out alone or off a chain or a lead.[/u]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K'][quote name='courtnek']
???? you have hedges shaped like chickens???
:o[/quote]

Not me personally no....but some do....or do I mean peacocks? :hmmmm:[/quote]how old is your pit?