Dogomania

How Insulting to Pittie owning parents....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was speaking to a woman yesterday and it came up about kids and i was telling her about my daughter Maliya (who incidently is now 4 months old and weights almost 20 lbl!!!). She asked if i had any pics of her and as any parent would I produced my wallet photos. So i flipped it to my favorite pose of her and the page facing that one had a pic of Deja and Drey. She commented that i had very pretty dogs and inquired about their breed. When i said pit bull the very next thing she said was:

" Oh, my have they attacked your daughter yet? IF not you better watch them they are known for biting children."

My mouth fell open... i was dumbfounded. After a few seconds i retorted:

"Well I guess some people really DO believe everything they see on TV. Do you know anything about my dogs? have you ever seen my dogs, andi dont mean other pit bulls, I mean MY dogs. No, you do not so while im sure you have the best intentions you are showing your self to be very naive, and prejudiced."

She looked at me as if to say "well, I never." and walked away.
Was it something I said :evilbat:

It really pushes my buttons when people feel that they have to tell me about my dogs, but they have nothin to say but propaganda and what they saw on TV. Never any researched or proven facts, because if they did do the research they would see how great they are as dogs.... In the proper living situations. I chose to get APBTs not because they are cool, or because they are tough, or because they are popular. I chose APBTs because they were the breed of dog that imbodied what i was looking for in a companion. Smart, Friendly, GOOD with CHILDREN, easy to groom, clean, fast and eager learners.

There may be dogs that can out hunt, out herd, out retrieve, or even out run a pit bull. But they cant be out loved.

Rott'N'PIT,

I totally understand how you feel. People fear what they don't know; they blindly believe what they read and see in the media.

When I walk my dog, I see people dodging and avoiding us all the time. They dart across the street as soon as they see my "big bad dog" with his big tongue hanging wanting to say "hello". You see, I've never gone out with my dog in the public streets unleashed; I always put my dog into a "sit" when there's a passerby in a narrow sidewalk.

The most important thing is that they're your babies! Nothing else matters! You have some beautiful doggies, keep it up!

Ink.
:D

My favorite is when one Taurus, Jada and I are out on a walk, one of the neighbors dogs is not on a leash, and comes running on to the road to greet my dogs. The ussual response I hear is, " No, NO Fluffy, don't run after them, they'd eat you!" However, when ol' Fluffy gets up to sniff my dogs, it is usually them that growls, or acts inappropriatly. I can honestly say, Taurus has never growled at ANY dog!
Or on HAlloween night, I was walking the dogs and some man says to me, anre those pit bulls? I said no, because I didn't feel like explaining, and he says; " Good, I just wanted to make sure they weren't going to bite me!"
No you idiot, they aren't pitbulls, but they are a rare breed of man eating dogs, so you better run!! ( that's what I wish I'd said to him, but he wasn't worth wasting my breath on!)

Oh my!!! :o
People are so rude! I have heard it all as well....here are some of my personal favorites...
first one when I rescued my Rottweiler a friend told me that Rottweilers turn on their owners at the age of 2...that is weird she is now 5 years of age....
When I had my Doberman Pinscher I was told by a few people that their skulls are so narrow their brains out grow the skull and they go mad...I guess many Collie owners are told the same thing by these so called dog experts...bring on the scientific proof!!!! she lived to be 14 and I was waiting for her head to explode!
When I got my Newfoundland dogs I was told I would never be able to get them out of the water...heck, I can't even get them to wade...I'm sure I could be drowning and they would sit on shore watching...

Makes ya wonder huh.... :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Oh Rott, that's terrible! good what you said though!
I would have asked this woman if she knew any Teens, odds are she does, better yet if it's her child or relitive of some sort. I'd then tell her "oh, you better watch out, they are known to start doing drugs, drop out of school, or bring a gun to school" :x :x which everyone knows is totally wacko, not all kids are like that... well, that's basiclly like what she said about your furKIDS! :evil: :drinking:

Some people believe anything they hear! I know someone who said that a Rottweilers brain will outgrow their head and they'll go crazy and turn on their owner! They believe a Rottie, Pitbull, etc. is a vicious dog and don't believe it all depends on how the dog is raised. This from someone who has owned none of these breeds and their dogs eventually end up aggressive!

[quote=ROTT'N'PIT]When i said pit bull the very next thing she said was:

" Oh, my have they attacked your daughter yet? "[/quote]

Some times you just got to have fun with people like this. You should have told her "well that depends on how you look at it, she wasn't but her twin, god bless her soul, was" :drinking:

I always try to educate those that still believe pitbulls are evil but sometimes I just can't resist a smartaass comment.

Guest Anonymous

.... were a pair that belonged to a neighbor-friend of my sister's. When the female had puppies (in the house in a wading pool) her kids used to go right in there with them -- handling the puppies from nearly the moment they were born. Never a growl or nip from the female. Very placid, easygoing dogs.

deb c.

Guest Anonymous

i always tell people that if you saw a pit bull that was vicious either the dog was mistreated or you we looking at a "pitbull" not a Pit Bull. I have seen these dogs endure so much and still be happy even on shows like animal cops, they take these dogs from fighting situations using control sticks but by the time they get them to the shelter they are on regular leashes being petted and rubbed by everyone. Dogs are a lot smarter then people give then credit for and they adapt to thier environment. that aggression got them praise and food in that place, but as soon as you get them from there they revert to a true pit bulls persona and are fine. I have perosnally never met a dog that was truely a pit bull that was vicious. I have met several mixes that i would go near.

i even read a story of a guy walking up to a pit bull in a car and hitting it through the window. he was trying to get the dog to bite him so he could sue the owner. a "nosey" neighbor saw what he was doing and called the police, when th cops pulled up the guy was shoulder deep in the car with a stick trying to hit the vicious pit bull. the dog was scrunched down on the floor behind the drivers seat. Its like just having an APBT makes you a target for people.