Dogomania

Holly's in heat!

Lucky Chaos

Holly came into heat sometime yesterday. I know I have to watch her at every single second, and not let her in the yard on her own, but she still need excercise, and a lot of people around here just let there dogs roam.
Is there any way I could keep the other dogs away?

Also Lucky's going crazy! He's neutered and everything but he's still trying to go after her!

We already called the vet, but I was just wondering why vets won't spay a dog in heat?

Well, a cure for that is to take her to a park for her to 'go' so she doesn't leave in inheated scent around the house. It will help, but probably not eliminate the chances of dogs hanging around. You could also get those doggie panties :)

I read about that in a book so it should be a good solution. But it is kind of difficult to do..

:D

Not really much you can do except be with her EVERY minute she's outside. Sally's due to come in heat in the next couple of weeks so remember you won't be alone with this.

As far as the spaying in heat, the reason is the chance of serious complications like excessive bleeding or hemmorage are greater when in heat. Just really not worth risk.

:angel:

Eucalyptus (I think thats right) oil will help mask the scent. Another scent that would help in this way is I think camphor, like in Vicks Vapor Rub. It may not completely hide or mask the scent from a nearby male but it will help. Some show people will put a tiny dab of a strong scent on the top of a males nose in case there are females in season at the show. In conformation shows, it is allowable to show bitches in season. They want their male to pay attention to showing, not that cute girl over there who smells SO good. Most obedience and agility trials forbid bitches in season from competing.

• 1 month later...

The cheapest poochie panties I ever used on any of mine in the past were just a plain pair of boys' undies (the ones with the flap open fly). If you put a panty liner in them and turn them around backward, the tail sticks out through the fly. They fit perfectly and are very cheap (to me, those poochie panties are ridiculously expensive considering the way they're made, or maybe I'm just a tightwad). At the time, my bitches were sporting Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pooch panties. :oops:

My bitches all had at least one heat cycle before being spayed.

hi Lucky-Chaos
There's a lot of Holly's out there :angel: One of my baby Danes (8months) is also named Holly, her mum Jem, was mated a week before Christmas so it was quite apt.
Never, ever, ever have a bitch spayed whilst on heat, usually done (by good vets) in between heat.
Also, it is not very kind to 'male' dogs at shows when a bitch is in season!!!!! but everyone have different thoughts on that, but that is my view :wink: