Dogomania

BEARS????

courtnek

I was watching an Animal Planet commercial.....

some of the things stated:

A dog was found lying stretched across a child in Pompay when Mt/ Vesuvius blew up, to protect it from lava.

I had read that before.

A Rhodesian Ridgeback can hold a lion at bay, and live....

I had heard that before.

The Bulldog was bred to fight bears...

BEARS??? REAL BEARS??? were they BIGGER back then?

Is this true? I'm amazed if it is....A dog that size that can take on a bear
is something to take into account....

If you look for info on "bear baiting", you'd probably find a good bit of stuff on the "bear fighting".

Here's some that may help you out...
[url]http://www.workingpitbull.com/aboutpits.htm[/url]

And some more...
[url]http://www.moloss.com/001/breed/def/e001/[/url]

If you look at the pics on the pages above, you'll see that bulldogs have done a bit of evolving throughout the past couple centuries... the used to be taller and more athletic than many of the current bulldogs.

Most wild animals do not go looking for fights, they are looking for easy prey..when they have a dog barking at them they do not use precious energy trying to fight with them...most times a bear or wolf etc will not even try to attack a flock of sheep when there is a yappy dog (even a border collie) around...why bother? they do not have excess energy to try and fight a dog for any thing.
We are such a cruel race using our well fed domestic dog for such things...we certainly know how to disrupt the natural order of things.

Wow! That workingpitbull.com site is awesome -- thanks for posting!

I did disagree with some of her info on choosing a breeder, but perhaps she was only talking about pit breeders. (She said that no good breeder breeds more often than one litter every couple of years, and that she didn't have words bad enough to say about people who had more than one litter at once. I would say that definitely doesn't apply to breeds like Maltese, which only have one to four pups per litter!)

[quote]Which type of bulldog ????[/quote]

He didnt say - just "bulldogs"

[quote]we certainly know how to disrupt the natural order of things.[/quote]

in most cases I agree 100% - but it was just a 30 second commercial.
I havent checked the sites yet, but possibly they were bred to protect people (or animals) from bears....

I checked out the site - it appears that the bulldog was originally bred to
hunt, not fight, bears, bulls and boars....the site states they were not originally bred to fight other dogs, but rather were hunting dogs in the
colonies. People have used dogs to help them hunt for centuries, so I
guess "fight" was the wrong word to use....

I am amazed tho.....

[quote name='Sanvean']Wow! That workingpitbull.com site is awesome -- thanks for posting!

I did disagree with some of her info on choosing a breeder, but perhaps she was only talking about pit breeders. (She said that no good breeder breeds more often than one litter every couple of years, and that she didn't have words bad enough to say about people who had more than one litter at once. I would say that definitely doesn't apply to breeds like Maltese, which only have one to four pups per litter!)[/quote]

Actually Sanvean, That is true when referring to litters from the same bitch or line. A responsible breeder will not breed a bitch before s/he can evaluate how the litter turned out and that can take up to 2 years, once the litter has matured s/he can tell what true temperment is and what the hip results are. If the breeder is not pleased then s/he knows to end that line, if they are outstanding then a repeat breeding might be in order.

Courtnek,

That is true about the RR. They were not bred to fight the lion, only to hold it at bay until the hunter could get within range and get a shot out. The breed was used in packs, they would in essence taunt the lion, surrounding it and taking turns distracting it, however if the lion did attack the RR could actually survive if not win.

:angel:

if you read a little bit on the history of bull breeds (sometimes, you have to search for the right books, some just fluff over this grisly bit of history) you find out at first they were just kind of general looking, it was until fairly recently (considering the history of the dog) that dogs were bred to look specific, including apbts and bull terriers and bulldogs. Bulldogs used to be leggy and really BIG! And they would torture and chain bears and bulls for the purpose of watching the dogs kill them. In africa and asia, buffalo and big cats were used, in europe, bears were. They cut off animal parts (such as the paws or hoofs of the bull/bear) to make the fight last longer and give the dog a bit of a chance. The purpose of the bigger animal, was, ultimately, to die. The dogs used for this were scaled down in size when bear-baiting and bull-baiting was deemed illegal and inhumane. The reasons for this were two-fold: one, the dogs were less expensive to feed, and it was easier to pull a smaller dog from the ring during a fight. Pitbulls are supposed to be around thirty pounds...

[quote name='nadooshkinz']Interesting... :o
When we were at the BSPCA they had a list of "dangerous" breeds and they had Pit Bulls on the list... is that true? Rowie TOTALLY disagreed..
I wonder..[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/l/shifteyes.gif[/img][/quote]

I remember....

Someone had obviously printed it out for them, the BSPCA doesn't have a computer! Plus, they have no need for a "dangerous" dog list! Someone evil or unknoledged it lurking out there! :evil: I was so mad, especially since it was a RESCUE! What if a APBT or a Fila came in (highly unlikeyl here but you never know...) and someone saw the list? Would it be put down? :evil: And the worst thing is, they had a pic of a BLOODHOUND on it! :roll: OH PUUHLEASE! And the pic of the ApBT was of a cute munchkin who looked like "GizmoRedNosePit"'s doggie, same coloring, and it was walking up the stairs...so cute!! :cry:

Hmmm...I thought I replied to this topic! :-? Any hoo...