Dogomania

Natural Care Tips

Rosebud

:D

I would love to hear about everyone's tips and tricks for keeping their dogs healthy. Anything goes, coat care, nail care, teeth care...etc.

I'll start first.

1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil added to their kibble once a week for their coat.
Yogurt 3-4 times a week for digestion.

:angel:

Evening Primrose Oil capsule (normal cheap human one a day style) either burst over their food, or if your dog is like mine, and thinks it's a lovely treat, give them it whole. Great for their coat, and apparently their joints too.
Didn't know about Olive Oil, I used to give mine plain old veggie oil (tablespoon on their food) - but if I cant get hold of the EPO, I'll use Olive Oil instead, always have some in the house, just didn't know if I could use it.
(By the way, Badger and Sky love organic baby food - blueberry one, they got it by mistake, my fault, babies had had some for lunch but weren't too keen, so I took it in the kitchen and left it on the kitchen table in case they changed their minds. Seems B + S got their first...)

[quote name='LisaLQ']Evening Primrose Oil capsule (normal cheap human one a day style) either burst over their food, or if your dog is like mine, and thinks it's a lovely treat, give them it whole. Great for their coat, and apparently their joints too.
Didn't know about Olive Oil, I used to give mine plain old veggie oil (tablespoon on their food) - but if I cant get hold of the EPO, I'll use Olive Oil instead, always have some in the house, just didn't know if I could use it......
:D[/quote]

Didn't know Primrose was safe for dogs.

Olive Oil is better as it helps to reduce cholesteral.
Note on this statement to K- we posted same time, and after what I read about safflower oil, I may switch to it.

[quote name='Michele']Rosebud: i have been giving my pooch the yogurt..he loves it...of course he refuses to eat it from his bowl. I have to spoon feed him... :P[/quote]

My soulmate!! :lol: Ben thinks he's a human. He want's to drink water from an ordinary glass NOT a bowl, he want's to eat his food from a plate NOT a bowl. He even wants to sit in the table while eating. Once while my mom and I were eating and mom had to run off (she took her plate away from the table, Ben came and sat down on the chair. He didn't do anything. He just sat at the table looking REALLY important. :lol: It's funny because a year ago he thought the kitchen table was for sunbathing! :lol:

/Crest

K, I read that same article when researching for Rosie's skin. It was very informative and I am going to try safflower oil to see if there's any more improvement. They have Omega 3 oil in their food every night and also a health powder that I make up (Lecithin, Brewers Yeast, Kelp and I dry all the egg shells out and then crush them(calcium) all this mixes together, I got it from Dr Pitcairns book. As I home cook their food this is a good way to make sure they get all their requirements. They don't like yoghurt, but love scrambled egg and almost everything else.

With Rosie's skin problem I have cotton pads, Tea Tree Skin Wash, A prescription skin wash, Oatmeal Cream, Savlon Cream, E45 Cream and benzyl benzoate and always a good clean towel. Thornitt powder for their ears, ear cleaners, eye cleaners, not to mention the numerous brushes, scissors, combs, mitts etc. Flipping eck, I've just realised how much hard work it sounds like. Still they're worth it. :angel: :angel: :angel:

Ruby has a beautiful shiny coat and despite Rosie's skin(thyroid) she has a nice coat as well.

Yeah, michelle and crested I know what you mean. Ruby and Rosie will drink their water out of a bowl but will only take their Baileys and ice from a glass, preferably the one dad's drinking from. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I also feed my dogs Yogurt, only organic yogurt... a couple of times a week I mix frozen organic berries in with the yogurt (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries) I stay away from all veggies & Fruits which are not organic as they have been grown with pestisides. I also grow wheat grass for my babies to chew on, they love grass..
I grind my own flax seeds for my dogs and sprinkle it on top of their food...my dogs have never had any adverse reactions to flax seed (oh, it also is organic :lol: ) I feed all my dogs canned sardines for the omega 3 fatty acids ...best way to get that essential fat...and I feed canned salmon with the bones left in (calcium)...and I also steam mackeral or smelt once in a while and mix with brown & wild rice.
I also supplement my dogs diet with vitamins...I do not give these daily as I don't want to over load their system... I give vitamin E and I make sure it has all the different compounds, four tocopherols and four tocotrienols (in both cases called alpha, beta, gamma and delta)..some vitamin E supplements only have one of these components, alpha-tocopherol.
I steer clear from vitamin E that give you synthetic dl-alpha tocopherol...I choose only natural vitamin E which is listed on the label as d-alpha....
I also give a B-50 complex...some people say this B-50 can help ward off mosquitoes...
the dogs & I eat only organic foods and for meat I only eat/feed free range ( I have a few friends with farms and I usually buy my eggs, chickens, beef etc from them....I know what their animals have eaten)
For my dogs teeth I give them femur bones etc to chew on...works great
For my dogs coats the oils in the fish & flax of course help a great deal...but, also daily brushing is essential to a good healthy coat....distributes the oils throughout...my dogs have lovely coats...I usually always have people commenting on how shiny and healthy they look...
I do have to shampoo my dogs alot during show season...I always use a good quality dog shampoo...
nail care, I walk my Rottie alot so this usually keeps her nails worn down...I don't walk the Newf's too far it's too hot for them in the summer, winter is their time...I make sure I keep their nails trimmed weekly...

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I know it sounds as if I spend a fortune on myself and my dogs :o ...but since I started eating healthy and cutting out junk in my diet and my dogs...its really alot cheaper for us to eat healthy....and when I think of things like pesticides and the horrible things they are feeding cows and chickens...it's pretty scary! I am so happy that I have a local butcher I can buy from, but also our local grocery store sells organic produce as well as free range animals....I stock up on mark down night!

I have lost alot of weight since I started eating healthy, and my dogs maintain a good weight also...myself and my Rottie used to be very fat (the breeder would have killed me if I'd have let her Newf's get over weight!)....I topped the scale at 195lbs now I'm down to 130lbs...eating healthy I eat less, but feel full....and so I hope do my dogs.
When I add up how much money I spent on chips, ice cream, candy...milk shakes etc and I could'nt just stop at one, if I had one bag of chips I had to have 2 more! it was addictive! now instead I'll buy a banana and yoghurt...same with the dogs, now for a treat they get some thing healthy instead of those over priced, unhealthy dog treats.

[quote]instead of those over priced, unhealthy dog treats.[/quote]

You mean Dog Candy! That's what I call it, the second ingredient is usually SUGAR.

I wish I had your self-discipline, I want to eat organic and pesticide free but it's hard for me to discipline myself that way.

I'm so thrilled that ol' Jeffie (Jon Frey) is getting air time here. He's actually who I "use" to help me out with some nutrition issues. He's the one who made me aware of the pentobarb in commercial food. The one thing I like about Jon is that he doesn't come off as the end-all, be-all authority on nutrition. He's willing to list references to independent studies, or say he doesn't know, but will check it out, instead of just spouting off info as if it's gospel.

If anyone ever tells him I was talking about his more endearing side, I'll deny it to the bitter end. As far as he knows, I just think he's a gazillion year old short man with a funny hat who loves to hear about everyone else's weather. I wouldn't dream of shattering that illusion, though he ruined my reality by telling me that Krispy Kreme doughnuts are not a good snack for dogs (should have been obvious, but was hoping for some miraculous hidden benefit or something, or at least to hear that they aren't THAT bad... :oops: ). :cry: :-?

Seriously, if anyone is interested in joining a forum or two where Jon actively participates, let me know. I don't mind passing it along, but I don't want to seem like I'm openly "advertising" another forum if it ain't cool, ya know (ok, other than my siggy thing... wasn't sure)? :-?

My dogs are fed on a raw diet, Tessa is completely raw while Lily gets a cup of dry food a day as well as her bones and pureed veggies... though that will change next shopping day when she goes completely raw like Tessa, I'm hoping it might help with some of her aggression issues. I usually give them chicken necks, chicken backs and lamb off cuts, but bought them a Turkey wing each yesterday and they loved it!!! I think I'll be feeding alot more of them in the future.
I also feed liver with pureed veggies to which I add an egg 4 or 5 times a week, yoghurt, oil and whatever else I have on hand. They occasionally get a little honey.
I used to give Tessa cod liver oil which she loved and it was really good for her, I'll get some of that for them both next shop also. After reading that stuff on safflower oil I'll definatly be getting some of that next shop too, and just rotate them. As it is high in vitamin E that is great because feezing destroys vitamin E, which is the only thing dogs would otherwise be missing out on with a raw diet.
Kelp is another thing I add, full of goodies. For variety sometimes they get kidney, heart, tripe, brains or the like instead of liver.
The dogs diet has been a bit all over the place lately, just trying to find whats best for them - every time I change it though they just keep getting healthier and healthier!!! Lily is probably about as healthy as a dog can get, but I still am going to take her off the little bit of dry food she does get each day because that is nasty stuff!!! Ick, I wouldn't eat it so I don't see why she should be expected to! :o

[quote name='Rosebud']I wish I had your self-discipline, I want to eat organic and pesticide free but it's hard for me to discipline myself that way.[/quote]

I would also like to go organic but it's too bloody expensive!!! :o Meat is dear enough as it is and free range/organic meat is ridiculously overpriced... fruits and veg aren't so bad but I honestly can't taste the difference between organic and no. Unless it is home grown, you can always tell a home grown apple from a supermarket/market/fruit shop apple.

Sorry to stray off topic :oops: but I have no feeding tips to provide. I am learning a lot though. :)