Dogomania

Dog bathing at Petsmart

JackieMaya

I took my two girls to Petsmart today to get them bathed, as I really don't have a place to do it at home. They said the dogs would be there for 3-4 hours. They ended up being there for 3 hours, and they looked great.

BUT... they hadn't given them any water the whole time they were there, and both dogs ran for the water dishes as soon as we got home. Maya seemed to deal with the ordeal okay, but Jackie seemed to be quite traumatized by the whole thing. When they let Jackie through the door, she was crying like crazy, and was barking in the store (I took them through the store to get them treats), which she NEVER does.

One of my friends took her dogs to a place about 25 minutes from my home where they supply the bathing facilities, shampoo, etc., and you do it yourself. That's where I'm taking them next time!

ohh poor old Jackie! :(
Bless her...I can't believe they didn't have access to water for 3 hours?!
Here in the UK we have a place called Laundramutt or something, where you can go take your doggy for a bath, and you do that yourself there.
Yeah, I'd definat
Hope she feels better, give her a BIG cuddle from me! :D

Ohhh poor Jackie! :angel:

Those mean people :evil: , next time do it at the other place... :D

I have a Q..

I want to get Rowie's fur clipped, the vet around here does it, but the problem is, i'm not sure if Rowie can stay still for all that time! :-? And i'm afraid she might nip too! :-? What do they do there? And how should I make sure Rowie won't nip? Should I buy a muzzle for her? :-?

I might not check this topic again(lazy :lol: ) so If you Do have the answers, can you please PM me?! :D Thanks! :D

Rowie the Pooh
I don't know how to PM some one?? :o
I work at a Vet clinic and a boarding/Grooming facility ...the groomer at your Vets office will use a table with a noose...the dogs head goes into the noose which enables the groomer to clip the dog...although the dog may be hyper, snappy etc...the groomer I work with usually does not have a problem...first off; some dogs that nip their owner will not nip at the groomer...they are on new territory and they have an experienced dog person working on them...just like when you go to obedience, have you ever been embarressed by what the instructer can make your dog do and you can't? also a groomer will have muzzles on hand.
Jackie maya
As for a dog being tramatized at a grooming facility...its not the most pleasant experience in the whole world for a dog...and you can't explain to them why they are there. Do you know how many dogs will not drink water at a grooming facility...they are stressed. I don't know if the people at petsmart did not put water down, or your dogs were too stressed to drink it...did they actually state to you that they hadnt given the dogs water?

I worked as a bather for Petsmart for a little while before starting my grooming career. Every single dog in our store was immediately offered water. That was the first thing we were to do upon taking in a dog. However, many dogs won't touch it. They are often nervous and shy and won't drink.

Now that I have my little groom salon set up, many of my dogs are with me all day. Most of my clients work all day and drop off the dogs first thing in the morning and won't return until late afternoon. Every single dog in my shop is offered water, but I'd say maybe half of them ever drink any of it. That means they are virtually all day without water. All one can do is offer. Even most of my own dogs will not drink water at work, even though they are there for 10 hours, and will dive into the water pan at home as soon as they can get into the door. If I were a pet owner, I'd probably also be alarmed, but just be aware that many dogs just won't drink. I've even kept bottled water at work for the dogs and it made a difference only with a few.

By the same token, most of my dogs are hand dried and don't spend a lot time sitting under a heat dryer.

[quote name='Cassie']Rowie the Pooh
I don't know how to PM some one?? :o
I work at a Vet clinic and a boarding/Grooming facility ...the groomer at your Vets office will use a table with a noose...the dogs head goes into the noose which enables the groomer to clip the dog...although the dog may be hyper, snappy etc...the groomer I work with usually does not have a problem...first off; some dogs that nip their owner will not nip at the groomer...they are on new territory and they have an experienced dog person working on them...just like when you go to obedience, have you ever been embarressed by what the instructer can make your dog do and you can't? also a groomer will have muzzles on hand.
Jackie maya
As for a dog being tramatized at a grooming facility...its not the most pleasant experience in the whole world for a dog...and you can't explain to them why they are there. Do you know how many dogs will not drink water at a grooming facility...they are stressed. I don't know if the people at petsmart did not put water down, or your dogs were too stressed to drink it...did they actually state to you that they hadnt given the dogs water?[/quote]

Cassie,

Thanks a bunch! :D I was really worried, I mean Rowie does get bored easily :roll: Plus, it's getting really hot here, so I really need to have her clipped, and as it's the first time she's going "clipping" and the first time for me, I was really worried something might happen... :wink:

Ok, now to help you PM, go to the bottom of my post, right after my sig, you will see two little buttons, one sais:"Profile" and the other "PM" click the PM button and wallah! :D

Thanks for helping me out! :)

Rowie-the-Pooh :angel:

I used to take Gretchen to a nearby groomer and was pleased with her work. Gretchen is a Rott/Lab so she's pretty much a wash and go kind of girl !! Someone then told me about a Technical School in the area where High School Sr. are taught jobs such as Cosmotology, Criminal Justice, Nursing, Daycare, and Animal Science (grooming). People can bring their pets in for wash,dry,brush,ears,and nails. They are supervised by Professionals. Gretchen weighs in at 90lb. and they only charge me $8 !! :D These kids are getting experience and I'm getting a great job for a really reasonable price !! I was paying my Groomer $29, for the same thing. Now instead of every 3 mos. , I can afford to take her every month , for her Beauty Spa treatment !! :wink:

:wink:

typically pronounced (vwah-lah) means the sames a Ta-dah, an exclamatory statement indicating that something or someone is/has finished a task or project. ex. The magician waved his wand over his hat and wallah the scraf was turned into a rabbit.

Hope that helps K.

:angel:

• 1 month later...

My sister is a Petsmart groomer...they probably didn't give them water so the dogs wouldn't need a second bath. It's an unspoken, but unnegotiable rule, that if the dogs have water or snacks at any time during the grooming, they'll mess in the crate, then get all in it, and need to be bathed or groomed all over again.

I am soooo glad i know that now about petsmart. I would always take my dog there to get groomed, and bathed.
The self dog bathing faciltiy's sounds great.
I know my baby-dog would rather be bathed and groomed by me then some stranger.
I wish there was some thing like that out here for us.

[img]http://thumbs.webshots.com/sym/na3/9/83/55/74698355yjNKhO_th.jpg[/img]

I've been bathing at the local vets (I do 3 days a week, my mom does the other 3) for the past month or so, and I've been around there for a few years. The way they normally do things is they don't put water in the crates because the dogs normally either ignore it or spill it all over. If they notice that a dog is panting, or seems thirsty, or if it has any other reason that might make it need a drink (old age, or a disease; most owners will make sure that it's noted on their card if they need to have access to water), someone will give them water, then take it up when they're done, and offer more later if necessary. I've also noticed that most of the dogs there don't drink even if offered water, they're just too nervous/upset by the strange surroundings. There's nothing worse than going to all the trouble of getting a dog clipped, clean, and dry, then having them pee on themselves or spill their water; and having to do it all over again (at least the clean and dry part :lol: ).

Rowie, be careful to not let them clip her too short, as the fur does protect them from the sun, and it's not uncommon for a dog that's been shaved down to end up getting sunburned.