Dogomania

New Baby - Spaying Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

WOO HOO! We found a black lab puppy to adopt and she is coming home to us next Friday, April 11. She will only be 9 or 10 weeks old at that point though and I am not sure of how to care for a puppy who is recovering from being spayed. Any tips?
We have decided to name her MacKenzie, kind of as a tribute to McKay and also, after our favorite restaurant where we realized that we are in a forever relationship. Yeah, we are a super cheesy couple! LOL!
Since McKay had parvo, we spoke with a few vets, to get their opinions on bringing a new puppy into the house. Since McKay was there for such a limited time and we went nuts bleaching the areas of the carpet that she touch, threw out her toys and got a new cage, we were given the go ahead.
We are so so so excited!!

When will she have been spayed? At our shelter we do early spay/neuters too so I'm used to seeing puppies with sutures, lots of people are shocked that we do them that young, but hey they get done rather than wonder if they did or not. If my vet would do them early I'd have him do Mystic soon, but he belongs to the 6 month club.

We remove sutures after 10 days (not 7 like some, just to be sure they are healed totally). Puppies go up for adoption the day after surgery so likely your pup will have just had surgery too.

You can clean it with hydrogen peroxide, but this isn't necessary - only if she gets really messy down there. We clean some of them with this if they have a tendency to lay in their own urine/feces (some do). Don't bathe her, but if you absolutely have to: rub some vaseline over the sutures (fairly thick coat) to keep the water away (clean this off later) and don't direct the water onto that area (meaning, I wouldn't spray her belly).
Don't let her jump on the furniture and block off (baby-gate) the stairs so you can carry her up and down. Not too much activity the first few days, you'll probably notice that the spay won't slow her down much for long!

Check those sutures every day. If she starts to pick or lick at them throw a large shirt on her and tie it under her belly so it covers the sutures until you can buy an e-collar. The t-shirt works temporarily. Make sure the area doesn't appear red or puffy, if it does call the vet.

Sometimes we see a small knot develop under the skin that is fairly firm, this can be caused by an allergic reaction to the suture material and she will need to be reopened and resutured.

Some recommend putting the pups on a course of antibiotics following a spay. We don't do this, but you can ask your vet what they think. Usually they don't need anything for pain, but keep an eye on her and if she does appear to be feeling some pain/discomfort call your vet.

I'm so happy to see that you are getting another pup. She won't replace McKay, but she'll help ease the pain of her sudden loss. You'll be so occupied with this puppy that you should only remember the happy times you had with McKay, not the ones when she was so sick. I hope this girl lights up your life again!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, Spiritsmom for the instructions!
Our girl will only be approx. 9 weeks when having the surgery done and we'll be picking her up two days later.
Your advice is really helpful and we'll be sure to print it out to hang it on the fridge! LOL!
ALR

[quote name='aramsey']WOO HOO! We found a black lab puppy to adopt and she is coming home to us next Friday, April 11. She will only be 9 or 10 weeks old at that point though and I am not sure of how to care for a puppy who is recovering from being spayed. Any tips?
[/quote]

Congratulations on your new baby!!! Puppies bounce back very quickly from surgery, and your pup will probably zoom around and not give any indications that she's just had major surgery. That's the way my puppers have always acted!!

Be sure to keep an eye on her stitches to make sure she's not chewing them or they don't get infected. If the incision gets dirty you can clean it with warm water or peroxide. Just be sure to dry the area thoroughly when you're done. You can apply some Neosporin to the incision to speed up healing if you'd like, but she'll probably just lick most of it off. :)

Again congrats on your new baby! Ain't puppy breath grand?? :D

Rachel

Congratulations!!! I'm so jealous!!! After Shadow got spayed, she was pretty sore and she didn't want to do much. Just stay by her side (Shadow would cry everytime I left) and comfort her. I put a bowl of water by her side in easy reach so that she didn't have to travel very far. It'll get better every day. Just watch the licking, and don't take her into any fields or somewhere where the stiches could catch... otherwise you'll be trying to ravel a dog back together lol!!! Take it easy and she should be fine.

I have all my puppies spayed before they go to their new homes...they don't even notice anything has been done...and play as always. :)
In just a few days they are healed and i have never had one so much as even look at their inscision.