Dogomania

I've created a monster.....

Pumpkin the musher

I knew it! the minute I think I just can't get Cricket to ask to go out, she figures it out. In spades! Now she won't [u]stop[/u] ringing the bell :o . 2AM? No problem. Ding! Can I have a cookie now? 5AM. Ding! Can I have a cookiee now? She seems to think that she can just bypass the going outside stuff and just progress straight to the cookiee part. Little sh*t. 8)

My first Pomeranian learned [i]on her own[/i] to ring a bell to go out- they were just hanging on the door and every time the door opened the bells rang. One day she just walked up and rang them, and looked at me as if to say-"OK, so let me out". After that she never had an accident in the house for the rest of her 11+ years. It was such a neat thing that I taught my new little ankle biter to ring when she needs to go out.

Oh! That's just so funny! Talk about Pavlov! She is definately turning the tables and trying to train you. What a smart girl. Now if she just had an opposable thumb she could open the door for herself, the bells would ring, and you would know she has stepped out for a bit! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Woah.. I want to learn this too.. How does the dog catch on to that. I would love to train mine to tell me when they need to go outside. I have an older mixed dog who she has her own way of telling me. SHe comes up and put her head on my leg and just looks at me like "Dad can we go outside now"? :-).. LOL!.. Then the other one.. She is almost house trained. She won't poop in the house but she still has accidents peeing. She is just 2 and a half months old though so we are still working on that.

I am interested in this bell thing though.. Whats involved? Just hanging it on the back of the door and then letting them figure it out from there?

That is how my first Pomeranian, Pumpkin, learned how to ring the bell- It was there for no other reason than it seemed to be a good place to put it, and one day she just walked up and rang it. The rest is history. The training was a bit harder with my new Pom, Cricket. She seemed to be scared of the door at first and did'nt want to go near the bell, so I put it to the side of the door. I got her to sniff the bell , and if she got even the tiniest of rings, i would immediately put her out side, then give her a treat when she came in. It took about 2 weeks, and now she is very good about ringing the bell to go out. Of course she also rings the bell to be fed, get a cookiee, play, so it can turn into kind of a guessing game :roll:

• 3 months later...

I have a 4 month old cocker spaniel...I am having a hard time getting him to let me know when he needs to go outside....this bell thing sounds like the trick I need....is he too old to train to do this? What are the steps you need to take to get him to begin ringing the bell? :D

what kind of bell...where should you put it?