Dogomania

Anyone else just hate That's My Baby on Animal Planet

Kiger

UGH! It drives me nuts. I was home sick last Friday and it was some morons who got a cat from the pound (yes, the pound!) and bred it to their other cat - so their kids could experience the "miracle of birth". <insert gagging noise>
And the kicker... As the cat is starting to give birth the dad says, "Well, we were getting ready to go away for the Memorial day weekend, but I guess we'll stick around for awhile." So they were just going to leave the cat alone knowing that it might have the kittens while they were gone - real nice. We all know that animals always have little "miracles" and never complications, right? Then they try to justify making more kittens by saying that they are giving them to friends and family. Yep, everyone else in America has no trouble finding a kitten, but these people are apparently so blind that they had to make their own. :mad:
I think I've only seen 1 or 2 episodes of that show where there was an actual justified breeding of a cat or dog. I shouldn't even watch it, but it's like you can't really believe the people on the show are so ignorant. :roll:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I have seen some episode where the breeders are responsible and they explain thier breeding philosophy, etc. One cat breeder, the husband was on whelping duty while the wife went off to the cat show and he whelped the litter. I have seen a few episodes of the program and some are just joe blow breeding thier pet. sad. Write Animal Planet a letter expressing your displeasure. I sure have.

Guest Anonymous

I like the show, but then again I don't. It's fun to see the babies, but then it scares me...how many people are getting more of a "push" to breed because of the show?

I wish we had AP here so I know what you guys are talking about!!!

I've said this before: the media that deals with animals/pets has a duty to promote responsible pet ownership, because of their high profile and wide audience. eg. Don Burke the berk, nuff said.
This does not include everybody letting their cat be bred to whoever's down the back alley and letting it have kittens left right and centre and perhaps not even being there to supervise the birth. Ugh. First against the wall come the revolution. :evil:

• 2 months later...

the few times I've seen the show, it's never been what I thought it would be (that is, the idiots breeding thier pets so their children could see "miracles") I remember crying because they were showing this sea otter named Homer who really, really, wanted a baby--she even kidnapped another otter's! When she finally had hers, it was stillborn. I felt so bad that she truly seemed to want that baby, and it was dead...she didn't even realize it at first. Another time, it was an orca whale having a baby...and before that, a llama...I guess I just tune in to the right episodes.

:D

Maybe some good can come out of these idiots breeding for the Miracle of Birth. Maybe some mom and dad that had thought about breeding for that will instead just show the episode to the kids and get the pets fixed.

I think everybody should gang up on the shows execs get them to post a warning about uneducated breeding practices.

:angel:

• 3 weeks later...

I was home sick last week so I got to see a lot of That's My Baby. I noted that the shows were focused more on zoos, assistance dogs, farm animals, and there was one purebred cat breeder who seemed to be doing it to better the breed. Maybe the days of showing backyard breeders birthing puppies and kittens "cuz all our friends want one" are over. One can only hope.

(Although, I did think they bred the heck out of one assistance dog who was 6 and was on her 6th litter.)

• 4 weeks later...

[color=indigo]I love seeing the part of the show where they show the pups or kittens at like, 4 weeks old or something. When they are all fuzzy and cute! Heehee :lol:

As far as the actual show goes, I have only seen a few episodes and the ones I have seen have not really been like "reckless breeding". They knew what they were doing...I guess it depends. I kinda like the show though.[/color]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess it's just because I'm a very "Black or White" type person but it amazes me the way that most of us here feel very strongly about wrong breeding practices & yet, just because some of you "get to see cute babies", you would support a show you SAY you don't really like...and make no mistake watching is a form of support. But, I'm a very focus person about what I believe. I have never seen the show, I don't care for programs like that, I get to emotional ( the otter show would have KILLED me) so I can't say anything negative about it but I encourage those of you who don't like it to call the sponsors & AP. It can make a difference!!! Because as the old saying goes, not making a choice IS still making a choice~apathy is deadly!

:lukdot:

[color=green][/color] Although I hate to be a stick in the mud. I have to agree with Elsastar. Just by watching it your saying that you agree with it because your watching. Apparently you all have the internet. There are plenty of baby pictures of animals posted on the net. I watched "That's my Baby" twice. The first time it was a responsable breeding and I thought that the show was just great! But then the next epesode was breeding their cat just because they Felt Like it! :wallbash: There was no reason to it. Just so that they could have kittens! It's insane how someone could be so inconsiderate. I'm mailing AP a novel of complaints!! :agrue:

:flaming:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

OMG YES! i saw it yesterday and this lady had a great dane and she stuck her hand ALL THE WAY in her poor big dog.. like almost up to her elbow she had in this dog. i feel so bad for her. you know that had to hurt the dog. and WHY woudl someone stck their hand THAT far up.. why stick a hand in at all? she was not even letting the mom push the babies out.. gesh..

Umm, I know her, she's a very experienced and reputable Dane breeder.
I haven't seen the episode yet but have it recorded. I can assure you that Rachel knows what she's doing and yes, it may be yucky, but breeding is, and you can't be squeamish when it comes to the lives of the pups or the bitch. I am quite certain she has never so much as slightly hurt one of her dogs, and that she was quite aware of what she was doing and how far to reach. Before you slam people, maybe at least have some clue about what you are talking about? Obviously you are not a breeder, not a Dane person, not a vet, so how do you know what is right in whelp or not?Rachel has devoted a lot of time and energy to the breed in so many ways. Too bad that all got edited out along with all the info on health testing, showing, etc, or so I hear. [url]http://www.6stardanes.com/[/url]

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I enjoy that show...i'm breeding my Bitch next year and its my first time..i think it gives me a good heads up on how to do things..i like see the animals being born and seeing how they have developed..i appreciate birth and i think its a beautiful thing. I also think its a great for kids to learn. I knew all about sex and where babies came from when i was a child through animals..i think it makes for a great learning experience for everyone..

• 2 weeks later...