Dogomania

Bulldogs

dogsgalore

I'm thinking of getting a Bulldog (English) when I move out and get my own apartment. I want to do a lot of research before then so I was wondering if someone could give me some info. Like how are they in an apartment, with other pets, temperament, the pros and cons of the breed etc. I can't seem to find this kind of info in any library books. :-? I have located a breeder but I haven't called them yet. Any info would be welcome. Thanks in advance! :D

i dont know about in canada, but i am guessing its the same here in america..
basically all the bulldog breeders suck, even the "reputable" breeders.
why? because they are breeding bulldogs that are so short and pushed faced that they cant run or play or do anything, so it's basically a bump on a log instead of a real bulldog.

ever looked at Renascence Bulldogge?
they are basically a larger healthier version of the english bulldogs.
[url]http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Page_1x.html[/url]

look at this dog, he's amazing!
[url]http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Omen2x.html[/url]

[quote name='DivineOblivion19'][quote name='AllAmericanPUP']i dont know about in canada, but i am guessing its the same here in america..
why? because they are breeding bulldogs that are so short and pushed faced that they cant run or play or do anything, so it's basically a bump on a log instead of a real bulldog.[/quote]

[color=indigo]That's what I was talking about! I don't know how they are in Canada either. The breeder my neighbor got thier EBD from bred nice dogs. They didn't have breathing problems and were bred larger. He was probably 80 pounds or so. He was just the sweetest thing. But they had to get rid of him. I wanted to take him but my parents said no. :cry:

Anyway, I'm sure there are some good breeders out there, you just need to be careful from the specimens I've seen.[/color][/quote]

yep, there are good breeders out there. just very few of them.
there's a kid on another forum with a very nice well bred bully, he's just like K's bullys

I think you would have to look long and hard for a good breeder. I find many to have lots of health problems, dog aggressiveness and are not the most intelligent.
However I know that all breeds are great dogs you just have to know where to get them. I think finding the right breeder would be tough tho!

• 5 weeks later...

I think Bulldogs are fantastic! They are fine in an apartment/condo/townhouse type situation as they require minimal exercise and are fairly calm dogs. They do require quite a bit of attention from their family, so if you want to leave them for long periods of time, they probably aren't for you.

The main drawback would be the potential for high vet bills since they are prone to some serious health problems (as are most purebred dogs).

I have not met a dog agressive Bulldog, but they do exist. But, if you're just looking for a slobbery, gaseous, sexy, wrinkly, lazy & hungry friend - a Bulldog might just be for you :)

BTW - Adora's (my Frenchie) breeder also breeds "English" Bulldogs, send me a personal message if you would like her info!

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']i dont know about in canada, but i am guessing its the same here in america..
why? because they are breeding bulldogs that are so short and pushed faced that they cant run or play or do anything, so it's basically a bump on a log instead of a real bulldog.

ever looked at Renascence Bulldogge?
they are basically a larger healthier version of the english bulldogs.
[url]http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Page_1x.html[/url]

look at this dog, he's amazing!
[url]http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Omen2x.html[/url][/quote]

I don't think I could take a person seriously as a breeder when they have this pic on their webpage:
[img]http://www.gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Links/IMAG0000.JPG[/img]
:roflt:

Not sure if I missed it, but I didn't see anything on health testing or they're breeding practices, it was basically just pictures.

[quote name='K'][quote name='lsailor']as they require minimal exercise and are fairly calm dogs. [/quote]

[b]WRONG![/b] :roll: where did you get this info?..and should you be passing it off as the god given truth?...I think not...[/quote]

I never claimed what I had to say was the 'god given truth' and I'm sorry you took it that way. I was only passing on [b]generalities[/b] of what I have seen in my friend's Bulldogs & what is listed in various descriptions of the breed.

[url]www.dogbreedinfo.com/bulldog.htm[/url]

Living Conditions
The English Bulldog is good for apartment life. They are very inactive indoors and will do okay without a yard. This breed is an indoor dog. Bulldogs do best in temperate climates as the breed can chill easily in cold weather and have trouble cooling off in very hot weather.

Exercise
Some adult Bulldogs would just as soon not take any exercise, while others are full of energy. In any case all Bulldogs will stay fitter if given some regular. Fit English Bulldogs are capable of moving very quickly for short periods of time.

I think there may have been a misunderstanding and I'm not sure we're even talking about the same kind of bulldogs. I was referring to "English" Bulldogs, not all bulldogs.

I don't take what one website (dogbreedinfo.com) has to say as the gospel truth, but I was asked where I got my information. That was one source of many. I would hope a person who was interested in a certain breed would not rely on one source of information to make their decision.

I have an American Pit Bull Terrier mix and a French Bulldog. They have very different temperaments and exercise needs from each other. My APBT mix can run for hours on end, but the Frenchie tires after 30 minutes. Some people have Frenchies that are very active, and I personally knew an APBT that was a couch potato. It obviously depends on the particular dog.

:eek3:

I had no idea that posting my opinion (in a nice way, I thought) would result in this.

• 2 weeks later...