Dogomania

HELP!!!!!!!!! A WORM

Marble

Okay I"m about to totally freak out. It's 11:00pm, Dresden's sitting on my lap while I'm doing homework (she was there for almost an hour). She gets up and leaves and I look at my hand and there's WORM on it. Not garden worm, a wierd shaped yellow-white worm. About 1/2 in long but longer when stretched out. Hammershpaed head when it stretched out to move and it's back end it sort of pointed!!!!! IT IS SO GROSS. She's on heartworm worm preventions meds (Intervention), gets them teh 14th of EVERY month! I know I need to take her to the vet but does anyone have any idea what it might be????? I don't know where it could have come from except out of her! It really looks like an internal parasite type of worm (its in a ziploc bag right now) but I couldn't find a picture of anything taht looked like it on the internet. AND it's too late to take her to a vet so I have to wait until the morning to do anything!!!!!! I can't believe this. So wierd! Unless there's a better idea i"m taking her tothe vet tomorrow but if anyone knows what kind of wormt this might be please please tell me. Watch it be human contagious too.....I"m itching all over.

Sounds like a tapeworm. You should save it and take it to the vet with you just for confirmation. Tapeworms are the main ones that won't show up in a fecal check... you just kind of have to eyeball them. Not really anything to panic about. One thing to consider, though, is that tapeworms are typically acquired from ingesting fleas, like when a dog is chewing itself. Your dog may have had fleas at some point. All it takes is one. :wink:

Tapeworms and fleas are both pretty easy to get rid of. It's something you'll want to take care of, but don't lose sleep over it. Dresden will be alright until tomorrow. :wink:

one thing that works very well for any kind of intestinal worms in dogs is food grade diatomaceous earth.

it doesn't work instantly, since it's a natural remedy, but it's 100% safe to use and even adds some trace minerals to the diet.

to make sure all worms are eliminated, it should be given as a 2-week course, but it's also possible to just add it to the food daily.

the dose is one teaspoon for dogs up to 35 lbs and one tablespoon for dogs over 35 lbs, and it [b]must[/b] be food grade, the type of DE used for pool filters is not the same thing and is not designed to be ingested.

[quote name='Kat']If its long with a defined head then its likely to be a nematode or roundworm or possibly a hookworm. Tapeworms are passed through the dogs body as little segments called glottids which are the reproductive parts.[/quote]
Kat, I have seen some live tapeworms pass through which are exactly as Marble described and they do kind of "fan out" one end or the other just a bit so it looks like a "hammer" head. I've seen the dead, rice looking ones, but the live ones look different. Not arguing at all and I'm certainly not trying to make an official diagnosis online. Only saying that I have seen tapeworms like this. It's quite disturbing to see these little beasties come poking out of some dog's butt like it's saying hello. :-?

TDG, where does one obtain food grade DE? Is it a good idea to give dogs a round of it here and there just for prevention and good measure, or only if you suspect worms?

[ Only saying that I have seen tapeworms like this. It's quite disturbing to see these little beasties come poking out of some dog's butt like it's saying hello. :-?

[/quote]
Yeah, try having one ON YOUR HAND when you're half asleep after having final exams all week. I grew up with seven brothers (yes 7 :) and I usually am not grossed out, but that was too much.

You all are awesome! Thank you for all of your help. I just got back from taking a stool sample to the vet.....You were all right, tape worms, I had to sift through her pooh with a stick and almost didn't see any and then I saw two, a live moving one and a rice looking one.

I know dogs get them from fleas and am puttin Frontline on her TODAY. But do they just show up like this ? I'm starting to think back and make lots of connections.....Dont' know it's all from the worms, but she's always eaten a lot of grass (which I thought was weird, but she's always had weird habits like that so I didn't think it was an issue), she's always been pretty slender and the vet just told me her weight was fine in Sept, but she's 2.5 years old and should have filled out more probably (she's also part Dobie and definitely built like one)......So now I'm wondering how long she's had them for?????? The weight thing is wierd because I feed her twice a day, she usually doesn't touch it for hours, and she never acts like she's really hungry (unless I'm eating something and then there are always instant drools all over the floor :) )........Then there's the fact that she licks her rear a fair amount, but I thought she was just a clean dog..... Wow......

At any rate, the vet said the meds should kill them within 24 hours.....Sweet relief....

[quote name='Kat']with adult tapeworms though they usually establish themselves along the intestinal tract and are passed when the dog is given a wormer to kill the worm or to relax it (paralyse it) enough to detatch the scolex mouth parts and expel it. They give me the heebie jeebies totally :o[/quote]

Lord help me! Does that mean she's going to be pooping them out for a long time or they'll keep coming paralyzed??????? Do they get paralyzed and die or can they come alive again after being paralyzed? I can't not let her sit on my lap for that long, she'll be so sad... :cry: Do you think they'll just be paralyzed? I was thinking DEATH To the tapeworms and they'd all just be completely dead in 24 hours....

I need to post more pictures of her, she's gotten to be absolutely gorgeous.....And her behavior has improved 5000%, although we're still working on a number of things.....

Gack! I know exactly how you feel, Marble.

Our newly adopted c@t had them and we were horrified when we discovered them. Off to the vet we went for the little magic pill just this past Monday. He definately acting perkier since the treatment.

It's just gross.. :o

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Horsefeathers!'][quote name='Kat']If its long with a defined head then its likely to be a nematode or roundworm or possibly a hookworm. Tapeworms are passed through the dogs body as little segments called glottids which are the reproductive parts.[/quote]

Kat, I have seen some live tapeworms pass through which are exactly as Marble described and they do kind of "fan out" one end or the other just a bit so it looks like a "hammer" head. I've seen the dead, rice looking ones, but the live ones look different. Not arguing at all and I'm certainly not trying to make an official diagnosis online. [/quote]

Yeah, when we captured Scooter (kitten) last year, we knew that his mom had tapeworms because of the tiny segments around her butt. We told the vet this, and they said "okay," so I thought they were going to worm him. We never saw any rice-y segments on Scooter, so i always assumed they had wormed him.

Then one night, about a month later (?), Scooter threw up. I saw something in his vomit that I thought was a ribbon (he ate lots of things when he was little - now too - and I always did/do examine his vomit). I went to pick it up, and [b][i]it moved[/i][/b] and was squishy. Oh, the icky feelings that seeped through me :o

It was a very long, very alive tapeworm. I bagged and froze it, and frantically did an internet research. I'd never, ever heard of an animal [b]puking[/b] up a tapeworm, and I thought maybe it was in advanced stages and my kitten was going to die, yadda yadda. I founf out that every once in a while, a tapeworm gets moving through the intestines far enough that it reaches the stomach. Once it starts irritating the stomach, the stomach forces it out.

So. I took Scooter and the monster worm to the vet first thing next morning. They thought it was great. Just super. They laughed, they called their colleagues over, they just had a good ol' time passing around that worm. And poor me was sitting next to my poor baby kitten, waiting. So not funny :-?

tapeworms can explain her lack of weight gain. They hang out in the body and absorb the nutrients the body needs. It's always a joke to say that a skinny kid has a tapeworm.

People CAN get them, but not under those circumstances. I'd have to look it up, but I believe they enter through a cut or somesuch, and make themselves right at home...

oh, computers stink. I've tried to reply about four times and every time it wouldn't work!!!

I feel really really bad now. I'm wondering how long Dresden had them before I finally figured it out! She's been sleeping more for the last severall months but everyone told me it's just because she's about 2.5 yrs and they alwasy start sleeping more then. She's beeen eating grass for mont and months but she's always done wierd things like that so I thought it wasn't a problem. I asked the vet about her weight in Sept and she said Dresden looked GREAT! Man, this is sad.

So do you think she'll be able to catch back up to where she should have been wtih her physical development by now??

Mutts, yeah, the vet walked away before I could ask him any of hte questions I had, then the lady at the front blew me off. Wouldn't even talk to me after she had my money! And they both acted like they thought it was no big deal, the vet thought it was pretty funny. I hate doctors and miss my nice vet back home.

Behle, how do you know when they're gone? I mean they said (vet) that they'd be dead within about 24 hours but... Do you just keep checking their pooh? That worries me because I poked through her whole pooh yesterday and only found them in the last little bit (I was using a stick, dont worry :) )

Courtnek, maybe that explains why I am always hungry and only weigh 110lb at age 27....:) Actually it's probably because of my bad eating habits...

Dresden was all slow and sleepy/groggy yesterday and now today she's already bouncing off the walls again like her old hyper self :) It's so nice to see her happy again :)

Thank you ALL again so much for your help and reassurance, I really really appreciate it tremendously! Sorry about the three separate posts, I tried to respond liek five times at home and my computer wouldnt' work so now I'm at school....

Marble

I did a little research on the net and found that the drug kills the worm within 24 hours and then the worm acutally dissolves in the intestines leaving very little, if any, trace to pass out in feces.

I have cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. And still I don't feel happy. :roll:

There are no more "bits" surrounding his little wormy butt, so I have to go on faith that they are gone. But you bet I'll be on the lookout!

I've not had an animal with a tapeworm before. :o That I am aware of, that is! .......creepy.

Glad to hear your Dresden is back to her happy self!

Don't get yourself panicked over a tapeworm. I couldn't count the amount of times over the years my animals have gotten worms. Just keep in mind that tapeworms can only affect you if you eat the intermediate host. So, if your in a habit of eating fleas, lice and or rodents then I would be concerned :lol: :wink: This is part of the life cycle of the tapeworm, they develop in the intestine of the host (your dog or cat) the pods of eggs come out the anus. They fresh sacks can move and do have their own reproductive system. The sack dries up and then looks like a peice of dried rice it is when it dries up it breaks and lets loose the eggs. A flea, louse or rodent comes along and eats the eggs and the eggs mature into larvae in the intermediate host...then a dog is licking it's hind end and swallows a flea and there the tapeworm becomes an adult. This is just a brief summary on the Taenia tapeworm which is the most common dog tape worm. There are all kinds of types of tapeworms or breeds...each having a different intermediate host and host.
For worming my dogs I give them a Drontal plus wormer, this is great as it kills Roundworms, Hookworms, Whipworms, Taeniid tapeworms, Flea Tapeworms and Echinococcus granulosus tapeworms...then I follow up 2 weeks later with strongid T to kill any roundworms (if any) for tapeworm you don't have to follow up in 2 weeks one worming is enough. :wink:

So, don't let it bother you that Dresden picked up a tapeworm. It happens to every one with pets at one time or another.

This is a wee bit off track, but when I worked at the vets I made noodles for my lunch one day in the kitchen at the back of the surgery. My boss and his partners cats are allowed to roam free there. I finished my lunch and went back to work. I went back to the kitchen later and found Heidi checking that cats butts.. :lol: She saw one of my noodles that I must have dropped and was trying to pinpoint which kitty had the worms :lol: When I told her she wasn't too impressed with me lol!

You all are awesome :) Thank you for all the infor, I feel TONS better now. Dresden's her crazy self again which is great :)

So let me get this straight: A dog has to actually EAT/INGEST an infected flea to get tapeworms right? So if a dog's bitten by a flea can they get them from the flea that way too? I'm trying to figure out how Frontline is supposed to prevent tapeworms if a flea has to bite the dog to die. Seems like thatt bite, even if it kills the flea, could transmit the worm eggs.....Does that make sense?

Kat, that's funny :) I'm having trouble eating certain things still......

[quote]So let me get this straight: A dog has to actually EAT/INGEST an infected flea to get tapeworms right?[/quote]
Right :wink:

[quote]So if a dog's bitten by a flea can they get them from the flea that way too?[/quote]
No, a flea cannot transmit tapeworm by biting your dog. The dog has to eat/ingest the flea or flea larvae.

[quote]trying to figure out how Frontline is supposed to prevent tapeworms if a flea has to bite the dog to die. Seems like thatt bite, even if it kills the flea, could transmit the worm eggs.....Does that make sense? [/quote]
Since fleas are not transmitted by flea bites and only by your dog eating the infected flea or flea larvae....what you are trying to do is eliminate the fleas from your dogs environment.