Dogomania

Aclimating to Halti Finally

DogPaddle

As I've mentioned before Zaphod hates his halti, must wear wrong around the cheeks or something. However, he will now wear it without fuss for 10 min at a time. I'm so happy. I put it on him, fuss over him and give him cookies. I do this for short periods several times a day and he doesn't get cookies unless he wears the halti. As Zaphod realllllly likes oatmeal cookies it works well. :D

Thanks for the encouragment. Now we just have to see if he will continue to tolerate it outside while walking. Doberfanatic - Zaphod is the same way with his prong, he would prefer to see it any day over the halti, get the wiggle butt when he sees it, but many trainers won't allow them in class and I'd like to take Zaphod.

hey HF : the alligator [img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_5_28.gif[/img] death roll is a pretty natural response to the snout collar from what i have seen. when i first started training aspen for the snout collar he would fall down as if he couldn't possibly walk with this thing on his face.

DP: good work with halti = treats -- that is exactly how you should introduce this product. if i may make a suggestion -- on leash walking and the halti -- put the halti on and give treats but hook the leash to his regular collar for the first few days of walking -- this way he gets more used to walking with it on his face but there is no pressure yet. praise treat praise when he is not fussing with it. when he is fussing give him something to do other than flop about ( like sit, down, shake) -- take his mind off his face and praise/treat. hopefully in a few days he will be ok to hook the halti because now halti = treats and a walk. keep up the good work!

I have only used one no-pull harness - a lupi or loopi. It did not work at all. It's supposed to lift their front half off the ground if they start to pull so in theory they'll have less traction. My boys are STRONG and the amount of pull already in play by the time their front feet come off the ground is not insubstantial. In addition, they quickly learned to pull with just their back legs - I suppose it would be good if they needed to strengthen their back ends. Maybe its just me.

my 2 cents... :)
Coastal makes this harness called a Comfort Wrap which is not only really easy to put on (the dogs kind of step into it) but the D rings for the leash end up on the middle of their back, and it distributes the weight nicely even if they do end up pulling (squirrels!) they cannot pull me off my feet anymore.

Guest Mutts4Me

Cool :)

I wanted to get Sasha one for a while. I think they're brilliant. Horse halters on a dog. Of course! (I get so annoyed when people say "they're like a horse harness." No, a dog harness is like a horse harness. A dog halter/gentle leader/halti is like a horse halter.)

I don't think Sasha would take to it, and the dog is 8 so why torture her? Plus, I'm worried someone'll think it's a muzzle and react to her as if she's an aggressive dog. She's not, but she has a poor reaction to people being afraid of her.

When I first put the Gentle Leaders on Jackie and Maya, Maya did the alligator death roll/bucking bronco act for a minute or so, and then she was fine. Jackie just gave me the sad face as if she was saying "I'm a good girl, I don't need to have this thing on my face!" They work just wonderful with my two girls, and when I take them off, I rub their faces and make a big fuss over them. When I take their leashes and gentle leaders out of the drawer before our walks, they just go nuts with excitement about their walk! They don't care for the gentle leaders, but they're real good about them.

I tried the loopi back on Zaphod just to see if I was using it wrong or something. . . It doesn't fit anymore. I got it when he was over a year old and he is just over 2 now. I his chest seems at least 1/3 larger than it was a year ago. I hadn't realized how big he was getting. He is still trim enough, can see his waist and he has a slight tuck but he has just filled out so much. Well if the halti doesn't work I'll have an excuse to try a different brand of harness.

After my boy Rakhan got used to wearing his halti I trained him to "get dressed" I would put it over his muzzle with food I would encourge him to put his head in saying get dressed and after awhile I could get him to "get Dressed", It was easier than struggling to try and put it on a dog that was fighting against it.
:D

The first few times (and only times) I walked Magic with a Halti she jumped up and alligator death rolled 4 feet in the air and got out of the halti. She hated it. I did find a good use for it tho, she hates it soooo much that when she barks and won't listen when I say "quite" I say "want your HALTI?" and she shuts up right away! It's like magic. When I put it on her she automatically lays down and sulks and thinks it's the end of the world but she never barks with it on.