Dogomania

I'm 10, would a pomeranian make a good pet for me?

pomeranians

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I'm 13 and i have a pomeranian . He is the best dog ever and was incredibly easy to train . I do believe poms are better for adults but i got my baby when i was 9 and has been going good . I lub him to bits . He dances , high 5 , does agility and a tonne more tricks . he was easy to train in tricks but a little harder in obedience . i dont show him but we will be doing agility events soon

My pup is going to do great in agility, I can tell already. We have little fences, about a foot high, and he can jump over them with no effert what-so-ever. He already kind pf knows sit, down, and "stand". (I've had him a month). But now hes confuzing the sit, and down, so I'm not sure if he REALLY knows it. He seems pretty bright though. My dog sounds alot like yours Pomeranian_Chick, even as a puppy!!

[quote name='pomeranians']My pup is going to do great in agility, I can tell already. We have little fences, about a foot high, and he can jump over them with no effert what-so-ever. He already kind pf knows sit, down, and "stand". (I've had him a month). But now hes confuzing the sit, and down, so I'm not sure if he REALLY knows it. He seems pretty bright though. My dog sounds alot like yours Pomeranian_Chick, even as a puppy!![/quote]

We want pics! Quick b4 K gets here! LOL

[url]http://guineapigsrock.home.att.net/neopets/conner_asleep_small.jpg[/url]

I hope that picture came through. Hes asleep in it, but thats the only pic I have uploaded to the internet. I'll get one of him standing on soon though, so he'll have an extremly cute pic on here in a few days!!

Well as far as the backyard breeder thing... Im not too sure if the breeder is one or not but there were some things on the site that bugged me:

-"toy teacup" :roll:
-"sold AS IS" meaning no garuntee for a good health! :evil:
-"under 2.5 pounds" "pocket babies" these cost at least 900 almost as much as the show aulity ones! :o
-"They may or may not be show quality, but, SHOULD produce some fine quality pups." :o :evil:

Prices start at 400 which isnt too bad but then you look at show quality and it starts at 1000. Thats a lot and if this person was a good breeder then fine but shes not so... ugh, just UGH!

Im sorry but the more I read the more I agree with PUP. :cry:

Well... my Mom said she sounded as if she was a good breeder. Even if she may be a byb, she produces high-quality dogs, which I don't see how that could be...I've read up on them, and they show no quality in the pups they raise.

And, whats done isn't done. In her contract it states that if you no longer want the dog, then it should be returned, or she will help with placement of the dog. AND if she wasn't concerned about her dogs, then she wouldn't reserve the right to take the dog back if the owner decides to place the dog in a shelter, give it to a puppy-mill ect.

Also, the AS IS, that bugged me kind of too, but think about it... once the dog is in the hands of you, then YOUR responsible for it. She can't help if you let it get runover by a car, can she?

Your allowed to have the dog checked by a vet for any major defects, and can send it back if they find any.

Once again, on the SHOULD, breeders can't guarentee anything until they're older, so saying that a dog IS DEFINETLY breeding quaality would be a huge lie, because they wouldn't know.

Almost every breeder I or my Mom has talked too have said that poms, SHOW quality are about 1000. Unless everyone is a byb, then thats standard cost.

One last thing. The toy tea-cup part really peeved me, and I worried about it for awhile, but then she says we "do get" these... as if to me they come along, but shes not breeding for them.

This may sound a little bad too, but I think she needs to update her site... she has more dogs now than she states she has on her about me page. Maybe she has changed the cost of the "pocket babies", who knows.

Oh, I've also read up on resonsible breeders, she fits that standard almost perfect. I guess everyone has a different view on whats good, and whats not, because other people have said responsible breeding is much different from what you guys classify it as.

Well, on a better note, somone said I should go to a rescue, I might has well have, because most of those come from byb anyway.

I still don't think she is one though... my opinion...

I know I'm going post crazy here, but in reality, most of us probably have gotten our dogs from byb, even if we don't know it... which is sad, but just a fact, sorta.

I agree more with crazy, things on her site did bug me, but I don't think she is a byb, or I should say I'm more thinking shes border line. Shes most likey not the best person you could ever buy a dog from, but I really don't think shes VERY bad, either.

Having looked at that website, too many terms point to ByB or irresponsible breeder at least. Good luck with your puppy. You weren't to know about this breeder being dodgy, but a lot of the terms she has used in amongst all the fancy palava are just made-up terms that aren't recognised by the kennel club including "pocket sized and tea-cup". These terms are used by breeders who are desperate to campaign their dogs as desirable to Joe Bloggs with little knowledge and to make a quick buck, without considering the true protection of the breed and also the dogs breed in the long term .

Also a good breeder will never have a reservoir of puppies waiting for homes like those people do. Good breeders usually have sold all their pups before they are even born! Additionally their bitch Savannah whelped in July 2004 and on the site it states that she is expecting pups again within a few weeks!!! That is pure over breeding especially as the bitch looks to be about 5/6 years old.

My main concern now is not really of the breeders quality, but if my pup will end up with temperment and/or health problems.

I want the best for him, and seeing as my families fanancial situation is not all that great, we couldn't afford sky rocketing vet bills. Her dog look healthy, and thats my main concern...you seem knowledgeable about dogs, do you think he has good chances of terrible health problems in the future?

But, since when is breeding one dog two times a year "bad"?

Also, I must say that, its a good sign to me at least that the dog (6 month), that she hasn't sold already she is keeping, and not dumping at a shelter, because she could care less about it. Also, almost every breeders site has puppies "availalbe", so that must mean that even breeders of Ch. dogs are irrisponsible breeders? I really don't get this whole good breeder bad breeder thing as I said on another board.

And does being irrisponsible ALWAYS mean producing "bad" dogs?

Oh, and one more thing I thought to bring up, on "Nikki's" page it states that she is just starting to get in her adult coat, but shes really five years old!! What I'm trying to get at is that I don't think she updates her dogs pages very often, so that pic of Savanah could have been from a year or two, or more ago.

I would appriciate if you could answer my questions I asked earlier, thank you.

idk I only stated that cuz I was lucky enough to get my Dahlila from a breeder who was true to her word and as far as I know has not bred her dog again making Dahlilas litter her 1st and last. Her pregnancy wasn't even planned (long story just say it happened at the vets while owner was on vacation) and by the time any1 knew what the dogs were doing it was to late and there for the spay couldn't be done. Dahlilas healthy as ca be.

That kind of makes me feel better, too. Poms aren't prone to alot of problems, so I'm crossing my fingers that hopefully he'll stay healthy. Of course he might go deaf or something, but that just comes along with age. My mom still thinks we got him from a responsible breeder, haven't really told her the bad news yet. :cry:

I just hope when she says she breeds for temperment and health she really means it. I'm also glad she really DOESN'T breed "teacups", atleast I haven't seen them.

But, like I said in an earlier post, I don't think she aims to get the smaller sizes, because she says if you get a female "teacup" that she will HAVE to be spayed, because she can't give birth... just thought I'd mention that.