Dogomania

Breeds most often banned

Seijun

Well, I try to follow breed bans in different countries as much as time permits.
It ALWAYS starts with the pitbull. Many dont even bother to make distinctions between the bully breeds. In France they go so far as to say any dog that has pitbull characteristics is banned. EDIT- Banned in the sense that importation or breeding is strictly prohibited. Any dogs already in the country require spay/neuter, licensing, muzzling in public. They also are not allowed on public transportation or in public housing. My mom works for Air France cargo, and she was telling me about a couple who just moved to France with their American Bulldog. The jackoffs in France saw the dog in the cargo hold and wanted to kill it on the spot cause it looked like a pitbull. They did not even want to ship the dog back to the states without charging the owners another $1,000+ for the return flight. My mom convinced them to just ship the dog back free of charge.
Other commonly banned breeds include Tosas, Rotts, Mastiffs, GSDs, Akitas and Dobies. The list goes on and on. Dogo argentinas and Cane corsos, Presa Canarios, etc. Although some might countries dont mention Cane Corsos or Dogos, they will take one look at them and decide they are pitbulls.

[quote]This list varies according to which part of Germany you live in so you can cross the street and your legal dog suddenly becomes a banned dangerous dog!

Cat.1)
American Staffordshire Terrier
Pitbull Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bull Terrier
Neopolitan Mastiff
Spanish Mastiff
Dogue de Bordeux
Dogo Argentino
Fila Brasileiro
Roman Fighting Dog
Chinese Fighting Dog
Bandog
Tosa Inu

Cat.2)
Akbash
Briard
Beauceron
Bullmastiff
Dobermann
Estrela Mountain Dog
Komondor
Kuvasz
Maremma
Mastiff
Pyrenean Mastiff
Pyrenean Mountain Dog
Rottweiler
Tibetan Mastiff

and 15 other European herding breeds

The owners of these breeds must register with the stadt, and obtain a dog handling licence. Permission to continue to own one of these dogs will be granted if the dog has shown no evidence of aggression towards people, game, livestock, cats and other dogs for more than 3 years. The dog can only be exercised by a person over 18 years, and must wear a leash and muzzle at all times.

Cat.1 dogs, and those who have shown aggression, cannot be bred from under any circumstances. My understanding of the regulations is that if you can show your dog is of no danger to the public, you may be exempted from the muzzle/leash requirement.

Cat.3) Any dog over 40cm/20kg.

Cat.3 dogs should be on a leash in built up areas, and will be moved up to Cat.2 if they show any aggression. We're going to have to wait to see what the final regulations are. from Angela in germany additional information As of 8:00 this morning, the ruling has come down early, due to the attack and death of a six year old boy in Hamburg.

The entire country of Germany has officially banned the following breeds: Pitbull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Terrier. Those now in the country can be exported out. Any dogs that remain, must take a state run temperament test. If passed: spayed/neutered. If failed: euthanasia.

If you are caught breeding or buying one of these breeds, a $50,000 fine and six months jail term are imposed. The Bull Terrier is on this list in some parts of Germany as well, including the Miniature BT. In other parts, the BT must pass the temperament test (which is 3 hours long and videotaped, at a cost of $500.00 per dog) If the dog passes, the animal may be used in a breeding program, as long as the breeder is a member of the VDH. If failed: euthanasia.
[/quote]

[quote]Today the county Hessen announced they will kill about 5000 "fighting dogs" soon... Of course there was no accident with one of these dogs in this county.

In my county the "fighting" dogs are: American Staffordshire Terrier, Pitbull Terrier, Staffordshire Bullterrier, Bullterrier, Mastino Napolitano, Mastino Espanol, Bordeaux Dogge, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, R

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Seijun']Does anyone have a list of the dog breeds most often banned? I have looked but can't seem to be able to find anything.

~Seij[/quote]

My campground bans 15 breeds and mixes thereof. The list was compiled by their insurance company, not them, so I assume it's a good example of the top breeds.

Airedale
Akita
Alaskan Malamute
Chow
Dalmatian
Doberman Pinscher
German Shepherd
Great Dane
Husky
Mastiff
Pit Bull Terrier
Presa Canario
Rottweiler
Staffordshire Terrier
Wolf (illegal in Michigan, but w/ grandfather clause)

Those dogs may camp with their people if their people have a large insurance rider.

*I named the breeds how they had them listed

[quote name='Mutts4Me']My campground bans 15 breeds and mixes thereof. The list was compiled by their insurance company, not them, so I assume it's a good example of the top breeds.

Airedale
Akita
Alaskan Malamute
Chow
Dalmatian
Doberman Pinscher
German Shepherd
Great Dane
Husky
Mastiff
Pit Bull Terrier
Presa Canario
Rottweiler
Staffordshire Terrier
Wolf (illegal in Michigan, but w/ grandfather clause)

Those dogs may camp with their people if their people have a large insurance rider.

*I named the breeds how they had them listed[/quote]

Great Danes? My goodness those have to be some of the gentlest dogs i have ever met!

here's some more restrictions and bannning from the us...most common ones are pits and rotts :-?

ARKANSAS
Gosnell, Maumell, Mt. Home, North Little Rock (has restricted ROTTWEILERS & pit bulls), Piggot

CALIFORNIA
Santa Monica (has RESTRICTED pit bulls)

ILLINOIS
Beach Park, Bourbonnais, Buffalo Grove (has restricted ROTTWEILERS and "pit bulls"), Cairo, Central City, Chester, Cicero, Dixon, Effingham, Elmwood, Gillespie (has BANNED pit bulls),Homeswood, Johnston City, Morrison, Mt. Olive (has BANNED pit bulls), Mulberry Grove (has restricted pit bulls), Oden, Peru, Rock Falls, Salem, Sandover, Silivis, Streeter, Westfield (has BANNED Dobermans), Wheeling, Wilsonville (has BANNED 'pit bulls)

INDIANA
Fowler, Gary, Mishawaka, South Bend, Walkerton (has BANNED ROTTWEILERS), Williamsport, Winchester

IOWA
Conrad (has BANNED ROTTWEILERS), Coutier BANNED PIT BULLS, Des Moine,Lake Mills (has BANNED ROTTWEILERS), Lockridge(has BANS ROTTWEILERS & PIT BULLS) ,Hiawatha, Pocohontas, Rockwell, Wapello, Wilton, WintersetMuscatine City Council approved a ban on all new "pit bull terriers" entering the city. Current owners will be permitted to keep their dogs only if they register their pets and obtain $50,000 in liability insurance

KANSAS
Arkansas City, Banner Springs (has BANNED "pit Bulls"), Cherokee County, City of Inman (has BANNED ROTTWEILERS, "pit bulls" +), El Dorado (has BANNED American Pit Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Terriers), Fredonia, Garnett, Jackson County,Leawood City Council recently banned "pit bulls",Liberal, Maize, Marysville, Nickerson, Overland Park, Preston, Shawnee County (has BANNED pit bulls), Sterling, Topeka

MARYLAND
Prince George County (has BANNED pit bulls)

MICHIGAN
Detroit, Evart Township, Grosse Point Woods, Melvindale,Ramsey, Muskegon Heights, Michigan (restrictions on pit bulls), Springfield, Waterford

NEW YORK
Binghamton (restricts Rottweilers), Hudson,Jamestown, Maybrook, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Newburgh, N. Hempstead, Larchmont (has BANNED pit bulls), Sand Point, Village of Haverstraw, Village of Hemstead, Yonkers

NORTH DAKOTA
Bismark, Kildeer, Minot (has BANNED pit bulls) Velva (has BANNED ROTTWEILERS)

OHIO(state has declared 'pit bulls' as dangerous/vicious)
Akron (has restricted pit bulls and American Bull dogs), Athens, Cambridge, Cincinnati, E. Cleveland(?), Fairfield (has BANNED pit bulls), Franklin County, Girard, Heath, Lucas County, Ludlow Falls, Mansfield, Mentor on the Lake ( some mentor?), Miami Coutnty, Newark, Parma, Richmond Heights (has restricted "pit bulls"), Shaker Heights, Silverlake, S. Euclid, Southpoint, Toledo,Wapello County (Amstaffs, Bull Terriers,Staffordshire Bull Terriers), Warrensville Hts, Washington Court House, Yellow Springs

SOUTH CAROLINA
Columbia, Travelers Rest (has BANNED ROTTWEILERS Chows, and Dobermans), Sisseton (has BANNED Dobermans)

TENNESSEE
Jackson, Smyrna, Watertown,The Lynnville City Council has banned Rottweilers, "pit bulls", Chow Chows, Doberman Pinschers and German Shepherd Dogs

UTAH
North Salt Lake, Smithfield (has BANNED ROTTWEILERS and Shar-Pei's)

WASHINGTON
Algona, Buckly, Enunclaw, Everett, Inland, Kenawick, King County, Kirkland, Moxee, Neah Bay (has BANNED ROTTWEILERS), Oak Harbor, Prosser, Seatac, Sunnyside (has restricted 'pit bulls'), Toppenosh, Yakima (has BANNED 'pit bulls')

[color=blue]source: [url]http://www.rott-n-chatter.com/rottweilers/laws/breedspecific.html[/url][/color]

I see that I should stop complaining about hard living with bullterrier and staffordshire bullterrier in my country. We have a list of dangerous dogs, you need to have permission to be an owner, but I haven't heard about banning any breed of dog. And I say hard life because peolple are so often frightened when they see me and dogs that they panic or say very unpleasant things.

[quote name='ObedienceGrrl']I'm just fearful that we are next with our GSDs. So soon, they will have their CGC. Although I'm not sure that will do any good.....[/quote]

I doubt shepherds will get banned anytime soon due to their association with police/military forces.

[quote name='"kasi_kipper"']here's some more restrictions and bannning from the us...most common ones are pits and rotts :-?

[color=red][b]NEW YORK
Binghamton (restricts Rottweilers), [/b][/color]Hudson,Jamestown, Maybrook, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Newburgh, N. Hempstead, Larchmont (has BANNED pit bulls), Sand Point, Village of Haverstraw, Village of Hemstead, Yonkers

What's meant by "Restricted" ??
I live in Binghamton N.Y and I know plenty of people with licensed Rottweilers and I've never heard of any restrictions ??? :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Agnieszka 8) Dzękuję :wink:
Restricted means that you have to have special permission to be dog's from list owner. The idea was to check future home of the dog, to talk with the future owner to see if there is everything all right and under control. I have no idea if it really works so, but my friends who have "restricted" dogs had only to pay to get the permission, nobody wanted to see anything. And it seems to me that noone checks if the owners have permissions for their dogs. But polish law is a separate topic :wink: