Dogomania

AAAWWW!!!!!

cute puppies.

Yea in AMERICA english bulldogs are horrible and I would never buy one.
They are riddled with health problems.

But that's in America. Why? Because Americans are pompous a$$ holes who only care about money ;) Yes I am an American.
K's bulldogs are NOTHING like the bulldogs you see everybday in the USA.
the USA bulldogs are short and pushed face, riddled with health problem dogs. That is why there are people trying to bring back a real bulldog called the "olde english bulldogge" OR "renaissance bulldog"

K's bulldogs are taller and they dont have the smashed in faces, and they can actually run and play without dying from not being able to breed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]Because Americans are pompous a$$ holes who only care about money [/quote]

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not... I sure hope you are! I know for a fact that my dog's American breeder is not a pompous a$$hole who only cares about money. She's been breeding wonderful dogs for over 30 years - several BIS and BISS winners, as well as the test dogs for the Working Aptitude Evaluation. Her dogs aren't just show dogs - they can work too. She loses money on each litter she produces, because she does it right. The health testing, the cost of showing and trialing (and hiring handlers, since she's no spring chicken anymore!)

I think it's unfair to categorize breeders based on the location of their kennel. I like what John Kerry said int he debate tonight about supreme court justices - and I think it also applies to breeders -

"When you see a dog, you shouldn't be able to tell if it was bred by a woman or a mon, a conservative or a liberal, a German or an American or a Canadian or an Argentinian or a Japanese person - you should look at the dog, and be able to say, 'damn that's a nice, correct dog who can do the job it was bred to do!' "

***** Edited to add that I won't be back for awhile to read responses - we're headed to the Doberman Pinscher Club of America's National Specialty Show in Kentucky... we'll be gone for an entire week.*****

BB,

[quote]I would be offended but I would also brush you off as being ignorant as most others I deal with weekly, who really do think things such as that. I am aware those are not your personal feelings and you were just making a point, I hope.[/quote]

OK, I see what you mean... So others will just need to brush you off as ignorant about their feelings about their own favorite breeds, then.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']cute puppies.

Yea in AMERICA english bulldogs are horrible and I would never buy one.
They are riddled with health problems.

But that's in America. Why? Because Americans are pompous a$$ holes who only care about money ;) Yes I am an American.
K's bulldogs are NOTHING like the bulldogs you see everybday in the USA.
the USA bulldogs are short and pushed face, riddled with health problem dogs. That is why there are people trying to bring back a real bulldog called the "olde english bulldogge" OR "renaissance bulldog"

K's bulldogs are taller and they dont have the smashed in faces, and they can actually run and play without dying from not being able to breed.[/quote]

That may be, but how would you know what her dogs are capable of? Do you know her dogs personally? Have you ever seen her dogs work? I am not saying they have to be working dogs as they are probably just companions, but how do you know that they are capable? I am also not referring only to the modern English Bulldogs in the US, but the entire breed of modern English Bulldogs bred ANYWHERE in the world compared to the old time working bulldogs where this breed once came from. Olde English Bulldogges are closer to the old standard but the only bulldog I really respect as a breed is the American Bulldog because they are still very much so capable of doing the job they were intended to do.

Well anyway saying this seems off topic right now even though it was the original topic but that puppy in the middle with the sweater is the cutest puppy I have ever seen.

K do you have pictures of your bulldogs anywhere on here I would love to see a picture?

[quote]but the only bulldog I really respect as a breed is the American Bulldog because they are still very much so capable of doing the job they were intended to do.
[/quote]

In my opinion, that is true of the majority of "working breed" show dogs.
I sincerely doubt, while watching dog shows, that those dogs could retrieve a bird, herd a sheep, or save a drowning child. Many of the traits that had made them good workers are bred out, to make them more beautiful. Here in the US, the show dogs are not required to also pass a working trial. BIG mistake, IMHO. SO I tend to doubt that American Bulldogs used for show purposes are any better at their "job" then most of the show dogs here. Or any better than the English Bulldogs. I understand the UKC requires proof of working ability too. Our UK members will correct me if that's wrong.

I have an English Foxhound, purebred, who did field trialing for her first 6 years. Compared to a show Foxhound, either English or American, she is
downright dowdy. However, she could run circles around any of them, even the young ones, in her middle age. I doubt any of the show dogs have ever SEEN a fox, much less been trained to track one.

K's comments were meant as a joke, not an insult. You are not required to like every breed of dog there is, but you could try to place your comments in a more positive manner from now on please.

Guest Anonymous

There are way too many breeders here, in the US, with thoughts such as "bigger is better". We continuously ruin breeds so they "fit our lifestyles" better. We have changed the standards of what certain breeds should look like. We cross two different breeds and claim descendents of them pure-breeds. "Breeders" are ruining English Bulldogs, German Sheperds, Dacschunds, my APBTs... just to name a few. We overbreed. We breed for money. I could go on for hours.
(De-ja-vu... another topic that has already been beat to death. Where are all those funny pictures y'all post?)

Oh, and those puppies are adorable... Well-bred or not.

Guest Anonymous

Just to clarify real quick...when I say American Bulldogs, I do not mean English Bulldogs bred in the United States. I am referring to the breed American Bulldogs who are a working breed and are still very much so capable of doing the job they were intended to. I am not aware of any "show" American Bulldogs as all of the ones I come across are working dogs and even with conformation titles they also have weightpull, hog catch and Schutzhund titles.

Guest Mutts4Me

I don't like beagles. They may be just about the only kind of dog I don't like, so much so that I tend to wince when I see one. This is an honest fact, sad as it is, and I'm not afraid to say that I don't like beagles. It doesn't mean I don't think Beagles should exist, nor would it be meant as an attack on any beagle owners that may be here (though I don't think there are any at present?).

Yet I would never, ever feel the need to jump into a thread where people were discussing how cute Beagle puppies are and state that I don't like Beagles. Why? Because it's just not necessary, that's why. Why bring up your dislikes amid happy, contented people? It's unreasonable.

Sure, K got upset (I mean, just like a week ago she had the same exact conversation with someone else who suggested that all English Bulldogs were in the same crappy state as the ones bred in the US). She was trying to brush it off, like you suggested, but by making a joke about it. And really, her Bulldogs said "UP Yours!" - Not K ;) I would see that as a joke, not an insult.

[quote name='Blitzkrieg Bop SBT'] I am not angry with her for saying that to me, I found it funny. I have nothing against K or whoever bred her dogs...I just do not like the breed and I am entitled to that opinion.[/quote]

I hate to perpetuate this, but enough already about the up yours part. Jarrod didn't find offense to this and in fact thought it was funny. And Mutts4me said "why bring up your dislikes amid happy, contented people." Well if everyone is so happy and content then why are you guys letting this bother you? Like I said in my previous post, who cares!! I own a bulldog and do not feel bothered that Jarrod does not like my breed of dog. I'll say it again, who cares if someone states they do not like your breed of dog!!!!!!! And isn't this a discussion forum where all opinions are allowed?

[quote name='SizzleDog'][quote]Because Americans are pompous a$$ holes who only care about money [/quote]

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not... I sure hope you are! I know for a fact that my dog's American breeder is not a pompous a$$hole who only cares about money. She's been breeding wonderful dogs for over 30 years - several BIS and BISS winners, as well as the test dogs for the Working Aptitude Evaluation. Her dogs aren't just show dogs - they can work too. She loses money on each litter she produces, because she does it right. The health testing, the cost of showing and trialing (and hiring handlers, since she's no spring chicken anymore!)

I think it's unfair to categorize breeders based on the location of their kennel. I like what John Kerry said int he debate tonight about supreme court justices - and I think it also applies to breeders -

"When you see a dog, you shouldn't be able to tell if it was bred by a woman or a mon, a conservative or a liberal, a German or an American or a Canadian or an Argentinian or a Japanese person - you should look at the dog, and be able to say, 'd*** that's a nice, correct dog who can do the job it was bred to do!' "

***** Edited to add that I won't be back for awhile to read responses - we're headed to the Doberman Pinscher Club of America's National Specialty Show in Kentucky... we'll be gone for an entire week.*****[/quote]

I was talking about BYB's and puppy mills, not reputalble breeders. sorry.
but yes american breeders, even reputable ones, have ruined dogs like english bulldogs and many many other breeds.

[quote]I'll say it again, who cares if someone states they do not like your breed of dog!!!!!!! And isn't this a discussion forum where all opinions are allowed?[/quote]

Of course all opinions are allowed but I think there is a time and place for everything and there is a thing called manners that should still be considered.

If three friends were together and two of them started talking about one of the people's dog and how cute it was etc.. I would consider it very rude if the third person chimed in to say "oh I don't like that breed of dog". That may be the case and there is nothing wrong with that but in that instance there was no need to say anything. I consider the scenario we have here the same. All everyone was doing was getting a bit of enjoyment out of ooohhhing and ahhhhing over what we consider cute puppies. If you don't think they are cute, skip over the thread. There is no need to bring everyone else down. Just because this is the internet there is no reason to say things that would be considered bad form in real life.

Now if the thread was about the breed standard of bulldogs and how the breed has evolved for good or bad then by all means state you opinion regardless of what is is.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Malamum'][quote]I'll say it again, who cares if someone states they do not like your breed of dog!!!!!!! And isn't this a discussion forum where all opinions are allowed?[/quote]

Of course all opinions are allowed but I think there is a time and place for everything and there is a thing called manners that should still be considered.

If three friends were together and two of them started talking about one of the people's dog and how cute it was etc.. I would consider it very rude if the third person chimed in to say "oh I don't like that breed of dog". That may be the case and there is nothing wrong with that but in that instance there was no need to say anything. I consider the scenario we have here the same. All everyone was doing was getting a bit of enjoyment out of ooohhhing and ahhhhing over what we consider cute puppies. If you don't think they are cute, skip over the thread. There is no need to bring everyone else down. Just because this is the internet there is no reason to say things that would be considered bad form in real life.

Now if the thread was about the breed standard of bulldogs and how the breed has evolved for good or bad then by all means state you opinion regardless of what is is.[/quote]

Well Malamum, I very strongly disagree with you! If I am going to take the time to read a thread and I want to make a comment, I am going to. What you consider to be (bad form) and what I do, obviously is not the same. Also, as I recall...YOU are the one who asked me how I could not like this breed, remember? I made one comment and that was going to be all, you asked me a question and I answered it. If you are not ready to hear a conflicting opinion, don't ask a question.

I posted that as a comment not so much a question and it was in general not specifically aimed at you. With Cymmie's cute face in the post above it was more of a "what's not to like".

I have no problem with the reason that you don't like Bulldogs or the fact that you don't like them. Hell there are few breeds that I don't like mainly, because I find them unattractive. However I don't find any need to say it here just for the sake of it by doing so I would probably hurt someones feelings, so what have I got to gain by doing that? (again a comment - don't expect an answer).

Again nothing wrong with having an opinion, yes even a conflicting one but sometimes it doesn't hurt to use some tact.

Ok last comment from me on this thread-haha, I promise. But my point was, WHY are you letting it bother you? I guess I just have the idea that everyone has the right to their opinion AND has the right to state it. Why are some people letting it hurt their feelings? I gues I just don't understand that. Personally I though K's original response of "up yours" was brilliant. She didn't get all sensitive and defensive about it. She accepted his opinion and made an opinion herself about his response. I thought it was funny. But then the posts after that get ridiculous. Who cares, who cares, who cares if Jarrod doesn't like bulldogs and who cares if he stated his opinion about it.

Guest Anonymous

So everyone knows...I was not saying that I dislike English Bulldogs to hurt anyones feelings. I guess I don't really understand how one could get their feelings hurt by me saying I do not like a certain breed of dog. If someone said they didn't like staffs I would tell them they are lame and that would be that haha

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='desertlady']B Bop's name is Jarrod? Is he the Subway guy? Jarrod are you that Subway guy?? :D :D :D

[size=1]just trying to lighten things up a little[/size][/quote]

:madgo: i do not frequent Subway :2gunfire: :wink:

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Liz'] And Mutts4me said "why bring up your dislikes amid happy, contented people." Well if everyone is so happy and content then why are you guys letting this bother you? [/quote]

Okay, so you've got Bogart out in the park, or at Petsmart, whatever. A few people see him, stop to pet him, and are telling you how cute he is. Then someone else wanders up and says "I just don't like Bulldogs." Wouldn't you be a bit startled by that? Wouldn't everyone (happily petting a cute dog) be a bit taken aback by that?

Blah, blah blah... I just wrote two more paragraphs but realized that everyone's basically said the same thing. And if if didn't get through the first (or second) time, then why now? I'll leave my response to the question with my name on it, but the rest can go. This has already been blown way out of proportion.

PMed Courtnek so as to avoid hijacking the thread... err, re-hijacking the thread...

I wouldn't care. I don't feel that everyone should have to like bulldogs. If someone wants to say "I don't like bulldogs" to me, I'd probably say up yours and walk away, but not get all upset because he voiced his/her opinion to me.

isnt saying "up yours" a sign of displeasure? K's DOGS said it, not her. and it was a joke, not to meant taken personally. But yes, some people aret so hard core. and they DO take things said personally. isnt tact something we should all practice? just out of the kindness of our hearts....

8)