Dogomania

"let me in! let me in!"

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

ARGH!

That's what I've been listening to for the past half an hour. Well, okay, it really sounds like "Yow yow yowyoooowww aaarrrrrooowww yow yow oww" or something like that :-?

My neighbors got a puppy.

In the past few days, they've been tying the pup out in the backyard.

The puppy keeps yelling "let me in! let me in!" (or "yow yow aaaarrrooww," whichever you prefer).

Now, I could shut my windows, which would muffle the yelps, but then I would have to face my kitties, who are laying in various open windows. So I'm sitting here, fists clenched (well, okay, yes I am typing), ready to scream.

It's just... the little girl next door is lonely to the point of coming over and asking my mom if she (yes, my mom) can come out and play, so they get a puppy, I guess for the little girl, who goes between here and her dad's. And if they can't pay attention to a little girl, how are they going to pay attention to a dog? They already went through a kitten, who was allowed loose and spent so much time on our back porch (this was while I was in Arkansas) talking to my kitties that my parents got attached. Then they "gave away" Spider Kitty because he was "too wild." A month or so later, they bring home a tiny puppy, who until this weekend was indoors except to be brought out for potty time, but is now brought out for a couple hours at a time, I guess to get used to being on the rope. Sigh. We haven't made any effort to meet little Jagermeister for fear of getting attached to him (or her?), too.

Just ranting, I guess.

Oh Amber...how sad.

I remember reading in a book I have, written by a behaviorist, who brought their dog in to him because it had turned on two exec-busy-working-on-their-careers parents who got their son a dog to keep him company while they were gone. They had a nanny, who looked after him as well. The child was resentful, lonely, had little parental interaction, they let the dog and the nanny handle him. The dog somehow picked up on the childs anger and bitterness towards his parents, and turned on them.

Dogs are wonderful companions, but they cant replace a parents love. I hope this isnt turning into a similar situation to that little boy....

:o :o :o

Some people are so self absorbed. "It's all about me." They can't be bothered to spend time with their kid and expect a puppy to babysit her and then, to top it off, they are obnoxious neighbors who can't be bothered to wonder if all that yowling *might* actually be disturbing someone. It's also sort of disturbing to know that a young child is going door to door seeking companionship. How scary is that?

Poor kid and poor dog. Perhaps in the far off future, this daughter will repay her mother's devotion and attention when she (mother) is old and frail and gets shipped off to an old folks' warehouse (state run nursing home). Perhaps the daugher will get her needy mother a puppy to keep her company, not that I'd wish that on any dog. :x

Oh Amber I can so totally relate. I'm going through a similar situation with my neighbors.....they got a puppy about 2 months ago (looks like it might be a Pit mix...cutest little thing) Anyhoo, for the first month or so it was kept inside. The only time I ever saw it was when the kids brought it outside to play....Well you know the rest of the story. Its gotten much bigger now, and in the past few weeks I've noticed the poor thing is tied out next to the garage longer and longer every day...and of course the kids really don't seem to pay much attention to it anymore either :-? .

Soooo it howls and barks and cries and barks and howls and cries some more....they don't have a fenced in yard and as far as I can tell they haven't taken that pup out for a walk in weeks...they just tie it in the driveway... :evil: Not a damn thing I can do though....it has a water bucket and access to the garage for shelter. It Pi$$es me off that people think its ok to give a dog the bare minimum in care and only pay attention to it when it SUITS them.....

Guest Mutts4Me

Yeah, it's depressing.

About an hour after I posted that, Sasha growls at something on the porch steps. I thought it was one of our stray kittens coming for food, but then I heard a little voice say "Be Nice!" I looked out, expecting to see the girl next door, but instead saw Jagermeister. Walking around on my porch. And then the little girl appears, asking if my mom's home (she's actually on a month-long roadtrip, so the girl's going to be disappointed a lot). I told her no and then informed her that she shouldn't bring the puppy over here because Sasha doesn't like other dogs. She said "Oh," slowly picked up the puppy, and wandered home. Poor kid. I think she's 5.

I got a closer look at Jagermeister, who I have never really gotten close to. Originally, my mom said she thought it was a Rottweiler because of its markings, but I didn't think so, since a shepherd mix and a vareity of other mixes could have the same coloration. Now that it was a foot away from me, I'm not so sure. I don't dislike Rottweilers, but I also don't want a neglected Rottweiler (or mix) tied out next door. The three excessively threatening ones across the street are scary enough :-?

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Smooshie']Not a d*** thing I can do though....it has a water bucket and access to the garage for shelter. It Pi$$es me off that people think its ok to give a dog the bare minimum in care and only pay attention to it when it SUITS them.....[/quote]

Ooohhh... The puppy has water, I always look, but no shelter. I don't think that's a valid point yet, as it's not been out for more than a couple hours at a time (like I said, I think they're just putting it out there to [i]get used[/i] to being tied out). But thanks for bringing it up, because it's something to keep an eye on in case they leave out for longer periods.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Dog issues aside, it just makes my head spin that a five year old kid can be left outside unattended to just wander around the neighborhood. What are people thinking?? :o[/quote]

Well, it's just next door, not the whole neighborhood... But when she came over last week, I was out with Sasha, and the girl's mom was mowing the lawn. The girl came over all sad and said "watcha doin...." (I was picking tomatoes), then said her mom said she could come over, and promptly asked what [i]my[/i] mom was doing. When she found out my mom was gone, she told me about random things and how much she hated tomatoes. Then she picked some flowers from my mom's flower garden (my mom says she does it all the time, but she feels too bad for the girl to say anything about it) and tried to get Sasha to sniff them. It wasn't working out, and I was getting nervous about her shoving stuff in my dog's face, so I told her I had to go wash the tomatoes. Then the sad little "okay" and slow shuffle home, like today. Apparently, it happens all the time... worse this summer when I wasn't here. School was out, so she was always bored. Her mom's my age, and I just want to go knock some sense into her, but we've barely even spoken.

I know its really not your place, but do you think you could maybe offer to help the little girl learn some basic dog things, like help her teach the dog to sit, etc? It's not ideal (how ideal can you get in a situation like this), and it's not your job, but maybe at least the little girl can have something to do, and the dog will get attention as well. Dunno, maybe my thinking on this is wrong.... but thought I'd toss it out as an idea.

You know that is very similiar to what my nieces parents did. They got a puppy for my niece and thought she would keep her busy. I took care of her until she was 4 and then they moved 3 hours away. She would come to stay with us every vacation from school. She was always so excited that we would play board games with her and play dolls and take her places that it made us suspicious. So we asked her more and more questions until we found out that her mother would sleep all day and leave her with the puppy. And a couple of times left Midnight as a babysitter for 20 minutes or so while she went to work and my brother was coming home from work. Dogs are wonderful being but they can't call 911 when the child falls and gets hurt. Once Midnight got really excited and accidently bit her in the lip and she was all alone in the living room and couldn't wake up her mother for a little while was the words she used. What does her mom do comes out screaming at the dog while my niece is yelling at her she didn't mean too? My niece is 10 now and lives with me and her mother never calls or comes to visit except on rare occasions. I will never understand how some parents can be so selfish to treat a beautiful child that way.

This sounds awful. Poor puppy.

My brother-in-law and his wife got a 2 1/2 month old puppy at the insistance of the step-kids.

For the first three months he was calling once a week complaining about "its whining at night" and "it pee'd in the house" and "it won't listen" etc etc.

My wife kept telling him "its just a puppy, be patient" and giving him tips on training. When she went over this week to get our crate back, the poor thing was tied up outside. It lunged at my wife and was growling, but her tail was tucked under so she was obviously scared.

Dummy goes to my wife "she's aggressive now" to which my wife replies, "No, she's just scared. Let her off the tether." Sure enough, the dog calmed down when it felt that it wasn't trapped.

I fear she is going to become another victim to misconceptions about raising dogs. Its like people think that dogs magically turn into well-behaved creatures; and when they don't out they go to spend the rest of their lives in solitary confinement.