Dogomania

"Dogs With Jobs" on NGC

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

At home I don't have the National Geographic Channel, but I enjoy watching it here. I very much enjoy "Dogs with Jobs," but today I was struck dumb and hoped someone could help me out.

I was watching an episode with Buddy, a beautiful Sheltie who looks exactly like the most recent Lassies (but smaller ;)) and helps encourage kids to read. I took a quick break to make some popcorn, and when I got back, the commercial had ended and the new segment had started.

It was about a Doberman who was caring for Cheetah cubs. The dobe's owner had a kennel of Cheetahs, and I guess I must have missed the explanation as to why this woman owned (and apparently bred) Cheetahs. Has anyone seen this episode?

Can you tell me WHY someone has a kennel of Cheetahs? I probably won't support any reason, but I would really like to know that they aren't being bred and sold as pets.

Thanks

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']Well, I havent seen that but Im hoping that the lady only had them so they could be nursed and then released into the wild or put in a zoo or sanctuary.[/quote]

[quote name='courtnek']there are various "wild cat" rescues that are trying to repopulate the declining breed in the wild. maybe she's one of them? I hope so....[/quote]

The problem is that Wild Cats born in captivity, especially exotics born in the US, cannot be released back into the wild. Very simply, their native habitat is overseas, so not only would it be very difficult and very expensive to ship a litter of cubs overseas into thier natural habitat, but recent laws prevent the importation/exportation of wild animals, which would make it virtually impossible. And then you have to recognize that releasing captive-born cubs into the wild is nearly impossible in itself because not only has no one taught them how to hunt, but they also are used to people and have formed a dependancy on people (cubs are bottle fed). So a cub released into the wild would find a way to return to human society and be shot on sight as a safety hazard.

Sanctuaries that claim they're breeding for the preservation of the species are full of BS. They cannot release into the wild, and NO zoos will NOT take them to add into their "species preservation" programs. Animals in sanctuaries do not have pedigrees, and their backgrounds cannot be established or proven, so they're of no conservation value to a breeding program like those the zoos have. Even zoo programs are questionable, because they continue to breed white tigers even though white tigers are only a result of human intervention and require constant inbreeding.

I'm almost positive this woman was breeding Cheetahs, since she had a kennel full of them. It was really sweet seeing the Dobe play with them and just generally mother them, but I really wish I had heard what the Cheetahs were there for in the first place :-?

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote]
Episode 58:

Cass: Pricey Herder (Hereford, U.K.)
Cass, a lively one year old Border Collie, herds at a traditional sheep farm in Herefordshire, England. Paul Evans bought Cass at an auction for 3500

I don't know why the cheetahs were in kennels but I've been to African Lion Safari. Basically all the animals are free to roam around together and I don't remember if I saw any fences seperating them. Even animals like lions and zebras didn't bother each other. Anyway you drive through and its a totally natural habitat supossed to look like your driving through the African savannah. Theres a reason they say keep your windows closed too, when we were there a giraffe stuck his head through the window and started licking everything in the car. It's actually a pretty cool place and the animals are treated very well.

I was reading through some of the episodes and this caught my eye.

[quote]Regular exercise and a firm resolve not to over-feed your Lab (they make a fine art of begging) are a must - as they can easily become overweight[/quote]

yep. this guy's been around Labs....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: