Dogomania

Young men charged in bow and arrow killing of dog

Animal Rights Activists Promise To Fill Tacoma Courtroom

March 30, 2004

By Kevin Reece

Video : KOMO 4 NEWS
They want to make sure that two men charged with killing a dog using a bow and arrow are given the maximum sentence.

PIERCE COUNTY - At a campfire in a Wilkeson, Washington backyard Monday night, locals were still talking about the mayor's son and what he did two weeks ago in the field next door.

"They did it out of just pure fun," said Jonathan Davis. "I know they did and that's just how Steve is."

Steve is 20-year-old Steve Paulson, a young man already infamous in this rural Pierce County town of roughly 500 people. He and his friend 18-year-old Troy Loney are charged with first degree animal cruelty. They admit they took a Siberian Husky into a field behind Wilkeson Elementary School on March 8th tied it to a tree and shot it with a bow and arrow.

But witnesses who reported them to police say they didn't just shoot the dog once. They say, and Paulson admits, that the dog did not die from the first shot. Witnesses quoted in court documents say the two kept "removing the arrow and reusing it to shoot the dog... at least ten times." And that after the dog finally died they disposed of it by throwing it into a river.

"I'm not cruel to animals," Loney said in an interview before the animal cruelty charges were filed. "I just figured I would do what was best."

Loney and Paulson claim it was a dangerous dog and that they did the neighborhood a favor by getting rid of a nuisance. But several neighbors say the dog was merely a friendly stray. Several also say this is not the first time Paulson has willingly killed animals.

"Doing pretty crazy stuff to a rabbit asking her (a friend) to hold it down while it was still alive," said Davis. "Trying to skin it alive, cut it open, gut it pretty much."

Both have been in trouble with the law before: Paulson for burglary, theft, malicious mischief, fourth degree assault. This is, however, the first time Paulson or Loney have been charged with animal cruelty. Animal rights activists, organized by Pasado's Safe Haven in Sultan, are organizing a caravan of outraged citizens to attend the arraignment on Friday. They want to encourage prosecutors to seek the maximum possible sentence of five years in prison.

"We're hoping that the community is going to act on their rage," Pasado's Safe Haven co-founder Susan Michaels told KOMO 4 News. "To show the prosecutor, the judge and the defendants that this is a crime that will not be tolerated and that we need to use the Pasado law to the full extent of the law."

Arraignment for both Paulson and Loney is set for the afternoon of Friday April 2nd in Pierce County Superior Court.

[quote name='KP']
But witnesses who reported them to police say they didn't just shoot the dog once. They say, and Paulson admits, that the dog did not die from the first shot. Witnesses quoted in court documents say the two kept "removing the arrow and reusing it to shoot the dog... at least ten times." And that after the dog finally died they disposed of it by throwing it into a river.

[/quote]

This bugs me...

What were these "witnesses" doing while the dog was being shot repeatedly? In the time it took to shoot the dog with an arrow, walk back to it, retrieve the arrow, shoot again, TEN times, none of these "witnesses" got involved until after the dog was dead and dumped in a river? Am I the only person that has a problem with that?

Signed!

[quote]Loney and Paulson claim it was a dangerous dog and that they did the neighborhood a favor by getting rid of a nuisance. But several neighbors say the dog was merely a friendly stray. Several also say this is not the first time Paulson has willingly killed animals. [/quote]

I realy hope that they are punished to the full extent of the law. Because next thing you know there going to be killing children.

Hey do you think I can kill thoes two and say I got rid of a nuisance??? :evilbat:

Guest Anonymous

Sure K! More than welcome to come along. But only if you promise to take the rusty arrow out nice and ssslllooowww (and maybe swoosh it around a little bit.)
Ya know, I have my 9mm too. Should I bring it? Nah, too quick.

:Dog_run:

This is a shame. Scott is an avid hunter and he has personally witnessed people shooting at dogs with guns and bows. He stopped a few people who were on our property and going after dogs but why do people let their dogs run loose during hunting season on someone else's property??

I am not defending these boys in fact I signed the petition but if this dog was a stray why didn't anyone call the authorities and get involved and help this dog long before it got to this?? Again, I repeat, these boys need strung up by thier b*lls but where was everyone before this????? Oh, the witnesses are just as guilty.

Paula & Re-Run

I'll go with you, K and Hmmm...I have a 22 semi auto and a bolt-action rifle. The bullets are small, they inflict a lot of pain...shots to the knees are always good...but I can think of another place I would take them out as well...and I'm a crack shot....then they wouldnt have kids like them....

:evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat: