Guest Anonymous

Dogs respond best to names with..  

1. 1. Dogs respond best to names with..

• doesnt matter
    • 3 syllables
    • 2 syllables
    • 1 syllable

Guest Anonymous

what do you think.. i was wondering about this today. Even when a dog has a long multi part name dont most people shorten it or use nick-names?
what do you think?

Guest Anonymous

I personally think two syllables because most commands for training are one syllable. I've always been told two and that's what I've stuck with for my dogs, Bentley, Caeser and Roxie! :D :D

I agree with BentleysMom...I have always tried to keep my commands as one syllable and my dogs names as 2-3 syllables....the first dog I have had a one syllable name is Beau....its really annoying for myself and him...and confusing...for instance..."NO, Beau" "Whoa Beau"...I have found myself calling him BoBo to get him to come to me :oops:

I don't know... my gang responds pretty well to ^$* #%!$+! +)*&%!
and that has many syllables. Seriously, Pauly does respond better to Pauly-NO (which is his honest to goodness name as it's listed on all his records and medicine bottles :oops: ).

Besides, if you are a deep South native, it's virtually impossible to say ANYTHING in less than two syllables. I mean, even three letter words get drawn out into two syllables... reyud = red, siyut = sit, ayut = out, dayum = d*mn, shiyut = well, use your imagination. Anything I call my dogs is going to be at least two syllables. They often respond well to shiyut heyud which is four syllables. Perhaps my gang is just brilliant (perhaps I've bumped my heyud).

I reckon that blows that whole polysyllabalitical thingie out of the water. I mean, our dogs listen as well as anyone else's (when you can get them out from under the porch).

Guest Mutts4Me

I think dogs just learn what to respond to...

Sasha's good with "Sasha," but also "Sash" or "Sas."

And for whatever reason, I tend to call her "Tahsa" when I really want her attention.

Oh yeah, "Mutt" or "Muttley" works as well.

Guest Anonymous

I've found Coal is actually harder to say and am starting to regret calling him it :-? It doesn't sound like you want someone's attention when you gota role your tongue like that!! :lol: I've sometimes found myself yelling "COLA" or I make these "EH EH EH" (not typical Canadian Eh, but more Ei or something...) When he's been bad or I need his attention RIGHT NOW. I quite often say "Puppers" as well... so to me ONE sylabol is harder... but it could be just the name I'm stuck with :lol: Coal is just darn hard to say when your mad :lol: As for the one syllables for commands, I teach those then I usually use them in sentances I find it easier then a direct command actually... but that's just me and how I've trained my dogs...

As for the cussing, oh yeah! :lol: Coal knows as soon as I say the F word then he better high tail it cuz Ima MAD :lol: :lol:

well i dont think it really matters but i voted for 2 cuz thats mostly what my dogs responded best too..

Holly and Boomer are theyre full names...and i always say (for Holly) : "HollyDolly,Holz(mostly) and i just call her Holly alot :)

and um well Boomer...haha i call him :
Boomie
Boom
Boomski
ChaBoomski
and BoomBaby!

but yes they definetly respond best to Holly, Holz, Boomie, and Boomer :)

but the names like HollyDolly and BoomBaby are mostly for when im talking about them, but not directly to them :D but sometimes i call holz HollyDolly when im speaking directly to us!

lol sry i just got kind of a funny thought...if dogs were like all chatting like oh "what do you call your masters?" " 1 syllable is best for me" and "ah they dont need a name, they reply when you bark: give me my food" :lol:

lol lame but i could JUST imagine soo easily my dogs snickering and yapping (yapping, get it!! :roll: :lol: ) about it! :D